New to Kemper, looking for recommendations for recording it to PC

• So I just got a kemper this week. Already in love with it :)

I'm looking for recommendations for recording it's output to PC. I know almost zero about this stuff, trying to learn.

Right now it's running straight into a FRFR via xlr cable.

What do i need to do to record it's output to my pc? i'd like to be able to hear it on the FRFR while it's recording as well.

Looking for recommendation for whatever hardware i might need (preferably something that doesn't go inside the cpu)

as well as a software recommendation for recording and mixing (PC not mac)

something mid range maybe? i'm never going to mix anything for the public/studio just for myself. don't want cheap stuff but pro/studio quality might be over kill unless it's not much more than the mid stuff.

TIA!

• For small setups, I've had good experiences with the Steinberg UR-22 ($150). It's a two channel USB audio interface with good quality preamps, and it comes with a free version of Cubase that will probably meet your needs for quite some time to come.

For that you'd just need mic cables. You can take your monitor out of your Kemper to your FRFR, and your L/R if you're using stereo effects into the UR-22. Alternatively, you can run mono out of the Kemper and also record the DI from the Kemper. Reamping is extremely easy.

Of course, in addition to the audio interface and cables, you'll also need studio reference monitors. Inexpensive options abound, but as an example, Mackie MR524 5" Powered Studio Monitors are $300 for a pair.

If you think you had GAS with guitars, recording is quite the rabbit hole. The options I've mentioned are just one of very, very many choices. There's a lot of great, inexpensive stuff out there.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• Thanks for the fast response guys. I'll check all that out and see what i can come up with :)

the steinburg or focusrite are probably the way i'll go. Apollo is nice but way overkill i think for me.

• Hi,

I bought my Kemper back in 2013 for home use and this is my set up for recording covers that I occasionally upload to YouTube:

GuitarKemper → S/PDIF →Focusrite 6i6 →USB →PCRig Manager + Pro Tools

The formatting did not allow me to fully use my very basic use of arrows to show the connections, so additionally I connect:

• The Kemper to the PC via USB (for Rig Manager); and
    • A pair of Genelec 8020B Monitor Speakers to the speakers outs on the Focusrite 6i6.

This set up allows me to use my monitor speakers to listen to sound from my PC (i.e. internet and iTunes) as well as the Kemper.

Here's an example of something I did using this method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR12GzaihBc

Enjoy your Kemper!

Covers mainly using the Kemper and er, other people's songs:

https://www.youtube.com/user/BitterScene1

Edited once, last by RDM: Original formatting did not display as expected (Note to self: use the 'Preview' option). ().

• TY, sounds good! from you guys help and research i think i'm going to go in that direction.

• I'd go Steinberg UR242 over Focusrite for two reasons:

- Steingerg control software is so much easier to use, Focusrite Mix Control is awful imho.

- Steinberg has better sounding preamps, again imho, I have both the 6i6 and Steinberg MR816 that has the same preamps as the UR242.

Then again I would probably still end up choosing the Focusrite since it has spdif input, which none of the Steinberg USB interfaces (weirdly) don't have. The firewire versions (MR816) do have spdif.

• Even with Cakewalk free, he'll still need an audio interface.

This with input from Focusrite Scarlett works well for me. Cakewalk was previously Sonar then bought out by Bandlab and offered for free.

I hope their quality has improved since Sonar. I was a huge Cakewalk fan back when they ruled the roost for MIDI. However, I've been through most of the DAWs over the years and Cakewalk Pro Audio (later renamed to Sonar) was consistently the most unstable and clumsy of them all. Which is really a shame, because I wanted to love them for old times's sake.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• Yeah, my suggestion was for the software part of the OP’s question.

For the most part, Sonar and now CBB has been stable for me. I’m currently using Studio One 4 but you can’t go wrong with free.

Cheers,

jayson

• The newer Focusrite 6i6, called the Second Generation, has the improved Mix Control software, and some other improved features like the headphone volume. SPDIF is where the 6i6 beats out the rest of the comparatively priced choices.

Focusrite comes with the DAW software, Ableton, and is highly compatibile. You can use any DAW software you like with the Focusrite, but Ableton is definitely worth checking out.

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• Thanks for all the replies!

here's what i'm thinking before i spend money, just wanted to make sure i have it right.

Kemper VIA XLR to Focusrite 6i6 (i already have an XLR cable, is there any benefit to using spdif instead from kemper to 6i6?)

Kemper usb to PC for rig manager

Focusrite 6i6 USB to PC for pc mix software and recording

Focusrite 6i6 speaker out (i think it's a standard 1/4 inch jack instead of the XLR i use now from kemper to speaker) to my speaker (FRFR yamaha hs8 i only have 1 now)

I think the Focusrite 6i6 can also play audio to the FRFR via the PC usb for like PC music/itunes right?

some kind of software on the pc to mix stuff. going to start with whatever comes free with the Focusrite 6i6 and go from there.

will that work or am i missing anything?

Additional question i thought of as i wrote this. I only have 1 speaker. would 2 be of benefit? The guitar is always mono right so not really?

I think it would help playing PC audio though

• Got everything hooked up. Works like a champ.

It was popping some while the 6i6 was used but i set the 6i6's clock to use spdif and it fixed it.

Thanks for all the help.

now to learn how to use reaper...