Easiest way to change Input presets?

• Hi,

when you use different guitars, how do you quickly change the Input presets? Pressing Input, then using the Browse knob takes too long.

I have three different presets for my EMG 81/60, EMG JH (both are similar but not identical) and for my Tele Single Coils. Is it possible to assign the "Quick"-Button to cycle through the presets easily? Do you use performances with different Input Settings?

Thanks in advance!

• Although many profiles can also sound good on different guitars, the fine-tuning in the rig will probably be adapted to the guitar.

Input setting is an important part of the profile.

• While Hans’ solution of saving different rigs for each guitar is clearly the ultimate option I like Tilli85 idea of being able to assign the quick button to step through one or two settings. In fact it would be even better if I could assign a footswitch to do this from the floor :)

Yes! Saving multiple rigs is too much work. Especially if you later want to change something in the rig (let's say a Stomp), you have to apply this again.

The QUICK button or a footswitch button would be great.

• FWIW I'm really happy using the 3@1 Pedal by Lehle. Not only can you connect up to three instruments to it, but you can adjust their levels separately. So, basically, when using it with then KPA you just have to set Clean and Dist Sense appropriately for one instrument (ideally your main one) and lock the settings there. Then you can adjust the levels of the other two instruments on the pedal accordingly. In addition, and this is what makes the pedal KILLER, you can control it via MIDI. This means that you can have the input instrument change automatically according to the patch you select. So, just pick up the other guitar, bass or whatever, engage the appropriate patch and you're ready to go. No need for extra toe tapping. Here's a video demo of the setup

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Thanks Verminante that's an interesting pedal. I was already aware of Lehle and there reputation for making top quality stuff but I wasn't aware of that specific pedal.

It certainly looks like a comprehensive solution but appears to be the same amount of work as just unlocking the input settings on the KPA and saving these as part of the rig/performance internally. Why do you prefer the Lehle over the KPA input menu?

I can definitely see pros and cons to both methods. The downsides I see for the Lehle include cost, need to carry an extra pedal and its power supply, a special midi cable and another cable from 3@1 to KPA when setting up. The plus side is that you can leave all 3 instruments plugged in at the same time and just pickup whichever one you want to use. Whereas, with the input settings solution you would need to unplug the cable or wireless from one guitar and plug into the new one.

I would still love to be able to just save a few input setting favourites and have a quick access to change them on the fly if the Kemper team could allow it.

• The downsides I see for the Lehle include cost, need to carry an extra pedal and its power supply, a special midi cable and another cable from 3@1 to KPA when setting up.

All of this is true, however: The 3@1 is a lot cheaper now that it was when a bought it some years ago (think it was about 100 Euro more expensive back then...). As to the issue with power supply, the pedal is also pretty flexible and takes 9-20 volt so you can connect it to almost anything with an appropriate adapter. I've had it daisy chained with an Exp Pedal and a POG2 without any glitches ;) The special midi cable, on the other hand, is really easy to DIY if you have the basic tools. But yeah, in all there is some extra hassle involved. I think I used to have my inputs set up on a performance basis but I'm not sure if this is still possible or has to be done rig by rig....

The plus side is that you can leave all 3 instruments plugged in at the same time and just pickup whichever one you want to use. Whereas, with the input settings solution you would need to unplug the cable or wireless from one guitar and plug into the new one.

This is definitely the main point for me, but only for specific setups. For example, I recently began doing live music for silent films with two other musicians. For the last one I had to switch seamlessly between violin, guitar and a microphone (for percussion and vocal effects), all of which were connected to the KPA. I can tell you, being able to rely on the Lehle to change the inputs automatically was a godsend. In other cases though, I've also managed with a quick unplug/replug and manually changing the input preset. I'll grant you it is not always ideal though