Master output too hot

• I was reading this old thread:

Output Volume - HOT HOT HOT

Why was this closed? Seemed like a good debate was developing and it was interesting, then it cuts short. Poor guy apparently never got a straight answer lol.

I'm running a multi-device rig and am trying to set levels between devices to keep SNR low and it's been a long journey. What's being stated in this thread, if true, should be in the manual. Maybe it is, it's been a while since I read it. But they're saying that if you reduce the main volume by a certain amount you are at pro line level, and that at max master volume, the kemper outputs a signal that's hotter than "pro" line. That would explain a lot of the problems I've been experiencing further down the signal chain, I assumed 100% volume meant +4dBu line level. It apparently does not?

• ...or you can use the jack output instead of the xlr ones. Some mixer have pre-amped channels so to make the xlr too hot. In this case the jack output makes the deal...

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• But they're saying that if you reduce the main volume by a certain amount you are at pro line level, and that at max master volume, the kemper outputs a signal that's hotter than "pro" line. That would explain a lot of the problems I've been experiencing further down the signal chain, I assumed 100% volume meant +4dBu line level. It apparently does not?

Presumably it is +4dBu from the 1/4" TS outs but hotter from the Balanced XLR. Balanced signals are always around 10dB hotter than unbalanced so the -12dB pad addresses this giving the option of +4dBu pro line level form any of the main outputs. I'm only guessing about this though so maybe someone from Kemper could confirm the rational.

• Wheresthedug not guessing - reading ;)

Analog Outputs

Master L and R Outputs:

XLR balanced, ¼ inch TS unbalanced with ground lift max. output level: XLR +22dBu, TS +16dBu

Monitor Output:

¼ inch TS unbalanced with ground lift max. output level: +16dBu

Direct Output/Send:

¼ inch TS unbalanced with ground lift max. output level: +16dBu

By the way, there was a similar thread in 2019 here

• Lol, so I should read better and/or check the most obvious place on earth before making a thread next time. I'll take note :)

Thanks for the info though, I now know what I must do! :)

SELL THE KEMPER!!!

Sike

Does anyone know what the output is with the 12dB pad on? I know enough to know you don't just subtract the number from the +16dBu, but beyond that I'm not knowledgable about the maths involved. Is there anyone that simply knows or has a gefühl that care to just tell me what the answer is? :saint:

• maybe I don't get it correctly (in case excuse me!)...but you would sell the kemper because you don't retrieve a math info or something similar involving numbers? :)

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• maybe I don't get it correctly (in case excuse me!)...but you would sell the kemper because you don't retrieve a math info or something similar involving numbers? :)

No :P

I just realized something. The TS output is +16dB. If you happened to simply subtract the output pad from that number (-12dB) you land at..... +4dBu. Pro line level. XLR is 22dBu, if you subtract the 12dB you land at +10dBu.... A slightly hotter, balanced line level. This all fits what people have been talking about earlier in the thread, leading me to think you can actually just do it like that. I mean, considering my track record I'm probably wrong, but it's a funny coincidence at the very least. In any case you have to actually activate the output pad to be at "baseline" line level. Alright, I'm not mad or anything lol, but that wasn't obvious to me in any way. I don't gig but Isn't this a problem when trying to feed a stage mixer? It seems more intuitive to me if it worked the other way around - the output being regular line level at default settings but having a toggleable "output volume boost" in the settings. Anyway, I am running the main outs into the FX return of a Helix and I've been having so much trouble taming the signal, having to apply gain cuts in several places of my chain to compensate. I knew the pad existed, so yeah, I dunno why I wasn't using it, maybe because I got caught up in trying to maintain unity gain at an earlier point, and not thinking critically. This thread was mostly created to just put my experience out there, say, if anybody else were silently struggling to wrap their head around what's causing their frustrations :)