Profile refining....

• The 'cocked-wah clank' sound seems most prevalent on some of the Marshall Rigs I have collected (no wahs engaged) - many times the definition amp parameter is on 10, and the attacks are just unnaturally piercing and non-musical to my ears. I don't have any personal examples because I always do something to correct the problem before going to the trouble of 'tagging'/saving them, or I just abort the profiling session. In the instances where I want a bit of cocked-wah tonality, I do it at a lower frequency that's not so gnarly - the one that I dislike sounds somewhere between 1 to 2Kz with a peaky resonance...

I get an idea of what you mean. This effect is mostly archieved by preshaping the guitar tone before it enters the first gain stage. It can be something that works similar to a tubescreamer, a high pass, or just a treble or high mid boost. Many modded "hyper marshalls" as well as boutique amps produce their signature sound this way. This indeed reflects in high "definition" values with extreme attack and transients and chords dissolve very clear. I must admit i am totally addicted to these kinds of tones. For fast and dense metal stuff it really helps to cut through even when the mids are scooped out. On the other hand it lacks the deep "growl" with a huge character that many Mesas have.