I'm looking to emulate the Big Dipper pickups on my strat via the Kemper. Got any tips?

• I've seen the new NAMM 2019 show that Kemper plan to release a software where you can tweak rig sounds.. I instantly thought of a parametric EQ to roll of the mids that I want to eliminate. Will this soft of EQing be available in that software? Seeing how the EQ in the Kemper right now is pretty primitive, I'm hoping for some parametric ways of scooping the mids. :)

• Seeing how the EQ in the Kemper right now is pretty primitive

Hi keem85 you have to dig a little bit more into the KPA and all the possibilities that it offers. The EQ in the Stack section is pretty primitive because it intends to replicate the basic EQ that a real amp has.

You already have at least that I remember a graphic EQ and a Studio EQ that you can use in any slot of the 8 available. Just look in the effect section. And I do recommend you, again, that you read the manual.

And the software to release, the editor, will not do anything that the KPA isn't able to do right now. It's only a tool to be able to access that configuration from your computer instead of having to use the KPA itself.

• That's really cool. Will check out that software

But remember that you can access those parameters thru the internal editing of the Kemper. Any editor, the official or ToastMe, only allows you to change it from the computer. And in the case of the Studio EQ the graphic representation is more visual than just the knobs. But the effect is the same.

• Are you using strat pickups? If you can determine what frequencies to scoop you can cut them with the Studio EQ accurately enough to get a similar sound. You may need to reduce the output level of the EQ, too, if those pickups are underwound.

I’ve gotten “good enough for live use” Humbucking to Single coil results to use my Les Paul on some songs that I would normally play on a Fender. So, you should be able to get even better results, if you can directly compare the sounds of the pickups.

• Thanks. Yeah I have a strat with coil split. Sc and hb. Gonna try to find out exactly what mids that are scooped with John Mayer big dipper. But hard to find the exact specs. That will be my next step

• Hi keem85 you have to dig a little bit more into the KPA and all the possibilities that it offers. The EQ in the Stack section is pretty primitive because it intends to replicate the basic EQ that a real amp has.

You already have at least that I remember a graphic EQ and a Studio EQ that you can use in any slot of the 8 available. Just look in the effect section. And I do recommend you, again, that you read the manual.

And the software to release, the editor, will not do anything that the KPA isn't able to do right now. It's only a tool to be able to access that configuration from your computer instead of having to use the KPA itself.

I've read the manual but under studio eq there is no guide on how to use it. Any place where I can read about that?

Trying to scoop out 5.81khz for neck.

Edited once, last by keem85 ().

• Thanks. Yeah I have a strat with coil split. Sc and hb. Gonna try to find out exactly what mids that are scooped with John Mayer big dipper. But hard to find the exact specs. That will be my next step

I suspect it's one big peak surrounded by two smaller peaks.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• at what frequencies the smaller peaks?

I guess this could be done by adding a second Studio EQ with this two smaller peaks.

Each Studio EQ allows only for 2 peak equalizers.

Sorry - I was just making a very bad joke.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM