Headset choice for Kemper - srh840 or DT770

• Hi guys,

I am looking to upgrade my headset and get a dedicated one to play guitar through the Kemper.

I will use them directly from the Kemper headphones output and as mentioned above they will only be used for guitar playing through the Kemper.

Not sure if it matters but I love classic rock and 70s / 80s metal so mids are very important and i do not want a scooped headset or accentuated bass... i would like the headset to be as neutral as possible.

I have done some research and narrowed it down to 2: the shure srh840 and the beyerdynamics dt770 80 ohms.

From what i read both are great but the dt are better built and more comfortable, but the shure are more neutral (not scooped at all).

My gut tells me the shure will be the right ones due to that reason... but so many seem to favour the dt... i am looking for any input you guys may have.

Thanks in advance :)

• I have a DT770 Pro (although it fell apart due to my ruthless handling) and really really liked it for guitar tones. Most headphones did not work for me at all. As you said, too much of a scooped midrange or too shy of a bass make guitars sound thin and overall not pleasing to listen to. The 80 Ohms version works perfect on the KPA. Enough juice for my taste, although I ended up kranking it up fully (possibly not advisable from a medical standpoint...).

And for all those how don't want to shell out USD/EUR/GBP 120 for some cans, I also have two pairs of the Superlux HD-681's (can be had at the Big T here in EU) which have roughly a similar sound to the DT770's, but a bit less defined of course. Still they work great for guitar, IMHO. And they cost €20!!!! In words: twenty. And don't go for the more expensive ones (like €30 and up), I returned those in favour of the cheap ones. Nicer velvet'y (not as nice as the DT700's) ear pads can be had, too for another €10, to replace the stock synthetic leather earpads.

• I have the DT770 Pro, it's very nice. Good closed headphone. The best part of this is it's padding. The most comfortable I've ever worn.

You can wear it for hours with zero discomfort! Probably tops in the $150-200 range.

I really like the cheap AKG K240 which I think is the best bang for the buck if you want a travel or throw-around headphone.

It's open, so not the best for tracking. But quite durable and good sounding. Best in the $50-100 range.

I have a Sennheisser HD600 which sounds great (again not best for tracking) but they have a wire going down each ear pad which is annoying AF.

Debatable about how "Best" these are as it gets harder to hear and more subjective as you go up in price. I don't regret buying it, as it is a fantastic headphone.

All good headphones to me b/c they were the keepers. All others I gave away or resold.

• I have the SRH840. My first set lasted 5 years, then the headband broke. I sent it back to Shure and they gave me a new set for $80. Then the second set broke at the same spot on the headband under the 2 year warranty. Why wouldn’t they reinforce the headband with metal? So I’m on my third pair, but I wouldn’t trade them for anything. They sound phenomenal and are super comfy. 100% satisfied.

• I used Takstar Pro 82.

Takstar Is a China retail brand.

The response is very linear, in fact they are monitor earphones.

And they are super confortable, you can wear them for hours

Hope it helps.

:)