Headset for Kemper - srh840 or DT770

• Hi guys,

I am looking to upgrade my headset and get a dedicated one to play guitar through the Kemper.

I will use them directly from the Kemper headphones output and as mentioned above they will only be used for guitar playing through the Kemper.

Not sure if it matters but I love classic rock and 70s / 80s metal so mids are very important and i do not want a scooped headset or accentuated bass... i would like the headset to be as neutral as possible.

I have done some research and narrowed it down to 2: the shure srh840 and the beyerdynamics dt770 80 ohms.

From what i read both are great but the dt are better built and more comfortable, but the shure are more neutral (not scooped at all).

My gut tells me the shure will be the right ones due to that reason... but so many seem to favour the dt... i am looking for any input you guys may have.

Thanks in advance :)

• I can't help you with the Shure, but the DT 770 are not neutral. They are a bit heavy on the bass. The DT 880 are more neutral but they don't have a 80 Ohm version. I didn't like the 32 Ohm either. I would choose the 250 Ohm DT 880 from one of those.

DT 880 are semi open and the DT 770 are closed.

A lot of people feel that open headphones give a more natural sound. But open headphones have their cons.

In my case I spent a lot more money and got the Sennheiser HD 600 and I am very happy.

I also got a pair of DT 770 80 Ohm to record vocals (because they are closed and they don't leak sound to the mike like the open headphones do).

• Thanks for your feedback. I hear so much good about the dt770, but was afraid they would be a bit heavy on bass... which you confirmed. I think i will go for the Shure then as i would prefer closed cans to not hear the picking and to be fully silent so i can play late without waking up the familly...

• No tried the Shure but...

I have the DT 770 80 Ohm and it sound good with the Kemper.

I'm looking forward to buying an AKG 702. I tried it and it sound really realy good.

• for other reasons I ended in the page of Sonarworks and they have a nice web app to test their system.

You can see several headphone curves. I can see why my old Sennheiser HD 598 always sounded quite flat to me, and I also like a lot my new HD 600.

Also I can see that if you want FLAT, you would be better with the Shure than the Beyerdynamycs or the Audio Thechnica.

Bear in mind that it is not the same a headphone that sounds good (just to play and have fun), and a headphone that sounds flat (for mixing or tweaking purposes).

If you want to take a look:

https://www.sonarworks.com/reference/demo-player

• Thanks guys

I always thought that if I want my Kemper to sound as close as possible to the real thing it required a flat speak / headset.

Atlantic, do you mean i would get better results with less flat headset such as dt770 or ath50 than the flat shure?

• Thanks guys

I always thought that if I want my Kemper to sound as close as possible to the real thing it required a flat speak / headset.

Atlantic, do you mean i would get better results with less flat headset such as dt770 or ath50 than the flat shure?

No. I mean that some times a not so flat headset is more fun to listen than a flatter one. And that may be the cause of why other users recommend certain headphones like the Audio Technica that is not as flat as the Shure. But you said you wanted a flat one that doesn't have a scooped sound. And for that the Shure seems better.

But don't get me wrong, all of them are great and you will be happy with either one.

• Remember that I came from a pair of Dr Dre Beats before the ATH50 so I didn't have a great base line to measure from :D

Ok, that explains a lot. ^^^^^^

No, seriously. The Audio Technica seem to be very good and a lot of people are very happy with them. I would really like to try them, but after about a month trying and returning all the Beyerdynamics and Sennheisers from Amazon Prime I think they might cancel my account if I order one more pair and then return it...

But the Shure 840 or my HD 600 are flatter if that is what one is looking for.