What profile set-up is this? Great tone.

• Hi everybody

I found a clip on Youtube yesterday of a guy playing through a Kemper and a Bose L1 and love the tone. For anybody who loves David Gilmour's playing, I think they'll love this. Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0sl_JlTrpk

I don't currently have a Kemper - but this tone sparked me to research the Kemper more. I'm gonna be honest, I hadn't even heard of it until a few days ago and now it feels like I can shape the sound how I hear it in my head (if I had one).

I have a few questions:

- As a complete beginner with the Kemper, with very limited knowledge of high tech audio, how difficult would it be for me to learn how to dial this kind of effect? I'm not against buying a profile but I'd like to know the underlying mechanics of that tone and learn more.

- Has anybody got a profile like this for purchase? Or Anything similar?

Thanks

• Rig busters got a really good Gilmore pack, its most likely that. The kemper is a unit to be learned so it'll take a little time but once you understand how the slots work then its pretty straight forward.

• Its a difficult question, which I'll answer with.... there are currently 15,000 profiles on the Rig exchange to choose from plus various combinations of effects on the Kemper including the fab new delays and new reverbs on their way.

So, how easy would it be to dail this in? Pretty easy, either find something similar or take a good basic over driven guitar sound and add effects to taste. The mechanics of doing that is not that different to plugging in pedals...

• This could be done with many of the rigs that are installed in a brand new KPA.

This sound can be created with a little reverb, a 1/4 or 1/8 note delay (depending on how you count it) with around four repeats, and with a Marshall or Hiwatt or some other amp Profile with similar gain.

The most important thing about getting this kind of sound is playing with similar touch and vibrato. It is also necessary to play loud enough to get that kind of sustain.

• Yeah but can you get that hair though - amazing.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• how difficult would it be for me to learn how to dial this kind of effect? I'm not against buying a profile but I'd like to know the underlying mechanics of that tone and learn more.

I don't know if you have experience with other systems like Fractal or Line 6 stuff, so I wanted to mention an important concept. With the AxeFx, Helix or other modelers, you take all their various components (amps, speakers, effects, etc.) and construct a sound from the ground up.

The Kemper is a different approach. It's based on taking a physical amp and speaker combination, dialing in a specific sound that you like, miking the cab to get the sound you want (just as you would in the recording studio), and making a profile of that. In a sense, a profile can be thought of as a snapshot of a real, physical amp and speaker as it existed at that moment in time.

Once you have a profile (including the 15,000 free ones V8guitar mentioned), you can certainly tweak a number of settings and employ reverb and effects. That said, the underlying mechanics of any tone begins with a snapshot of a physical amp and speaker. So, for example, if you were looking for a Brian May kind of sound, you'd probably reach for a Vox profile and then season to taste.

For me, I love the fact that I don't have to try to emulate a basic amp and speaker setup from a list of menu choices before even getting to the dialing in of the tone part - I just select the appropriate profile and go from there. If I want a hairy Marshall, I grab a hairy profile. If I want a clean Marshall, I don't grab a hairy profile and tweak it. I just grab a clean profile. It's a different way of thinking.

Apologies if you already knew this, but I find the Kemper way of doing things much different from modelers I've had so I thought I'd pass it along.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10