Spacebar disable in Rig Manager

• Is there a way to disable the space bar's function of resending the profile preset in Rig Manager?

What's happening is that I after I select a profile in RM, I then tweak it to perfection and get ready to record. Unfortunately the space bar functions as PLAY in pretty much every DAW.

So I hit the space bar thinking I've moved from RM to making my DAW active but instead of PLAY I get a reset of my profile back to the stock sound before my tweaks.

I know I should just be more careful but I don't see why the space bar needs to be sending a profile anyway. I'm either using the arrow keys to move up and down the list or I'm selecting a profile with the mouse.

I just need a preference to disable space bar as profile send. Please, I really need this.

thx

These profiles go to 11!

• I see the problem but don't you save your tweaked profile inside the Kemper?

I don't save every time I tweak a profile. I usually let the track play and start going through my Rig Manager selected folders. Once I find something close, I twist some knobs and tweak some effects or whatever then I record it and move on. Well actually, I tweak it, hit the space bar to control my DAW which resets the profile, then I tweak it again, then I record. Sometimes I get to tweak it again and again. It's fun!

At first I couldn't figure out what was happening. I thought maybe the DAW was sending midi patch change or something out causing this. Finally figured it out tonight. In the course of the past month of tracking, it's probably happened almost 100 times. That's a lot of wasted time. It's just force of habit to hit the space bar to stop the music.

These profiles go to 11!

• Like I said before, I see your problem. But for me it makes no sense to tweak a profile without saving it (if I like the result). If you save it after tweaking you can always recall it plus the space bar won't set it to default.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• I don’t want or need to save a large number of variations of one profile.

It would be a mess having multiple versions of profiles and then I’d have to figure out how to label them all so I could tell what the differences are. If I come up with something worth saving I save it. Most of the time I’m loading a profile and dialing it in and recording.

I just need the space bar to stop resending the profiles in Rig Manager.

What would be great is if I could send a quick sysex dump of the edited profile so it’s easy to recall in the DAW but I’ve already asked for that. This would let me setup templates in Logic and I could quickly recall entire tracking setups, for example if I’m doing a country song or whatever.

I’m really hoping that the new editor will allow some sort of patch dump into a DAW, but I’m an optimist. This won’t help with my RM space bar issue, it would just be nice to have.

These profiles go to 11!

Edited 3 times, last by Guavadude ().

• So I hit the space bar thinking I've moved from RM to making my DAW active but instead of PLAY I get a reset of my profile back to the stock sound before my tweaks.

I hear ya.....I got so sick of this happening, I bought a Presonus Faderport2, which always stays focused on my DAW.

• Good idea and I have an Alphatrack but I just use it for the fader. It’s not in a good location to be my main transport. Logic will win out on keyboard use. I’ll just end up not using RM anymore which I’m trying to avoid.

I’m curious, how many people use the space bar to send profiles to the Kemper?

I obviously use the space bar when editing names and text, adding folder etc. but I always use the mouse or arrows to select a profile.

These profiles go to 11!

• I wasn't even aware that the space bar did that. I typically browse via arrow and hit return if I need to reselect the profile. I would imagine I've run into this a number of times without realizing what was happening. Like you, the DAW is always close at hand and start / stop via spacebar is a reflex, even with a Mackie MCU sitting right there.

What would be great is if I could send a quick sysex dump of the edited profile so it’s easy to recall in the DAW but I’ve already asked for that. This would let me setup templates in Logic and I could quickly recall entire tracking setups, for example if I’m doing a country song or whatever.

You've been at this a lot longer than me so I'm sure there are reasons this workflow doesn't do it for you, but I've been having good results with a MIDI track pointed at the Kemper in Performance mode and using CC47 + CC50-54, as well as the individual CCs to turn on / off effects. I bring up a song in the DAW, things happen automagically, and I can just play guitar.

The downside of this approach is that you have to set up performances to correlate to your DAW songs, which is another step. At least with the CC47 approach it's not hardwired PC messages so once you get the performance loaded, the slots are still relative even if you move the performance to a different order. Still, a SysEx dump would just tell the Kemper to load the xyz data and be done with it.

On the other hand, I've had a Roland JV2080 rack synth since the 90s and back in the beginning I thought SysEx would be the best way to go. (I'm a programmer, so it's not like I ever over complicate things). While technically it's very powerful and once set up properly should "just work," the best way I can describe that experience is, "there's always something."

Of course, your main point was about the space bar, and I can dig it. However, I think that (or SysEx dumps) is unlikely to happen anytime soon as there are only so many developer fingers available at any given time, and there's this editor thing they're working on.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• Doesn't the Undo function work in these cases?
    Also, couldn't you temporarily save the rig as a snaphsot, in order to not have multiple tweaked instances of the same rig in the Browser?

HTH

Still chasing a worthy one :/

• I think I will have to use the midi CC idea at least for my template setups. It would also get me out of using RM so much since I'd have performances loaded and ready, which I already have but not to this depth. I just like using RM because let's say I'm know I want a small Champ type amp. I've already gone through the massive user library and have created a best of folder of twenty or so Small Amps. I sort by gain or favorites and try the part with the track playing. When I find something I like as a starting point I dial it in and start recording.

Before when I was using plugin sims, I would have tracks already setup and channel strip recalls with amps and effects already in place. When I open the session at a later date, all of my sounds are already there ready to go. If the client wants a tweak or I need to extend the track, I'm not starting over from scratch. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to accomplish this approach with the Kemper. I'm having to make text notes in each track which is better than nothing but nowhere near as quick and concise as sending some sysex to the unit and being right back where I was.

I've used a Virus C forever and one of the main reasons I keep using it even though it's a hardware synth is because I can recall patches so easy using sysex. That and it still sounds better than any VI I've used. With the editor coming for the Kemper, I'm guessing the USB out will now talk to my Mac and show up in my AudioMidi Setup and hopefully Logic will be able to talk to it as well.

For now, I just really like keeping RM open and poking around a little looking for new sounds and trying things out. I was thinking that the Undo on the Kemper might revert back to my profile edits that get reset but that's not working but not sure why. Seems like Undo should undo stuff. Undo works when I tweak a knob and reverts back to the previous setting. So I guess I also wish the Undo buffer would not reset completely when it receives a new profile from RM.

Since a double-click and "Return" in RM are already setup to send the selected profile, having the Spacebar also do this is redundant and causing more issues than it's solving.

These profiles go to 11!

• I think I will have to use the midi CC idea at least for my template setups.

In addition to having the right profile loaded at the start of the song, I also find it convenient to be able to go in and add a few CCs at verse / chorus / bridge / solo / etc. sections so that I can hit record or play at the beginning of the song and not have to worry about the pedal dance or anything else for the rest of the song.

I've already gone through the massive user library and have created a best of folder of twenty or so Small Amps. I sort by gain or favorites and try the part with the track playing. When I find something I like as a starting point I dial it in and start recording.

Since it's unlikely that the space bar thing will change anytime soon, here's a couple of things from my workflow, which has some similarities to yours, that you might find of use.

Like you, I make significant use of folders in the Local Library. I've made copies of all my profiles arranged by amp type, for instance, so that if I know I'm looking for a Fender they're all in one folder no matter who I got them from. I also have a scratch working folder, as well as a folder tree called Songs. You probably have variations on these themes.

When I'm working on something I do the same as you, go to the folders where I've already done the preliminary work and find the best candidate. I then drag that to the Kemper and operate on it there rather than the temp buffer. If I do tweaks I can save it in place. I typically have two RM instances running, one pointing to my Local Library folder and the other to the Kemper. So, when I've done tweaks and think I want to roll with it, I then drag it from the Kemper back to the Songs section of my Local Library. Even if the Kemper profile gets stomped on or something else evil happens, I don't lose my work.

Without a doubt, this is a couple of extra steps that you don't currently take, so yeah, more work. However, any workflow eventually becomes habit and this is mine, so it doesn't feel as arduous since it's become reflex (much like the space bar). Also, my reflexive copy of the profile to the Songs section locally makes it easy for me to then set up the aforementioned performances, since all the profiles for a given song are in the folder.

It's worth noting that my first programming job was in Florida in the summer, where daily storms and power outages were routine. Because of that, I formed the habit early of hitting the save key about every four keystrokes (auto save is guaranteed to save at the least beneficial moment, e.g. five seconds after the power outage has already occurred), so perhaps that's why the workflow feels normal to me.

Anyway, don't know if any of these thoughts are useful to you but that's what I've pieced together thus far.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10