Kemper Remote RJ45 jack compliance

• I am trying to build a touring Pedalboard for the Profiler Remote.

I would like to install a RJ45 jack (CAT5e ethernet compliant) in the pedalboard. So, the Kemper ethernet cable will be connected to this RJ45 jack and then underneath the board, straight to the Profiler Remote with another etheret cable.

Considering that Kemper seems to be using a Neutrik NE8MC-1 connector in the ethernet cable patch, I would like to know if I can use a Neutrik NE8FDP RJ45 chassis without any data loss issues.

https://www.neutrik.com/en/product/ne8fdp

This RJ45 connector complies with Cat 5e according to TIA / EIA 568B and ISO / IEC 11801 standard.

Are those standards compliant with the Kemper RJ45 and ethernet cable?

Any other recommendation?

Edited once, last by Syntek ().

• Increasing the electrical resistance of the original Ethernet cable by adding other components is not supported. This can only be achieved, if Power over Ethernet (PoE) technology is used. Details can be found in the Main Manual chapter Profiler Remote paragraph Cabling.

• Yes, it fits underneath the board with some brackets.

I understood from the main manual that PoEs is used for cables in excess of 10m or for using two remotes. This is not the case, but I guess you guys are right since my proposed setup is some kind of short bridge.

This setup would be:

Profiler Remote-->ethernet Cat5e booted angled cable --> PoE switch underneath the board--> Neutrik NE8FDP RJ45 jack --> Kemper cable w/Neutrik etherCON tactical connector.

Is this the correct setup, right?

Anyway, a PoE switch adds more stuff to the board, though. Could this be an alternative?

https://www.amazon.com/HDView-…iew+POE+Extender+Repeater

The length of the Kemper cable is more than enough for my stage needs. I just want to make some room in the pedalboard by getting rid of the bulky Neutrik tactical connector. The other option was place the Remote in the upper section of the board, but is not so comfortable.

So, what if I just change the tactical connector of the Kemper cable for an angled ethernet RJ45 connector? This way the cable will go underneath the board straight to the KPA.

Some right angled connector compliant with: Cat5e/ ISO/IEC 11801 / AWG 24 / Compatibility (PoE +): High Power over Ethernet (PoE+) 802.3at IEE. Like this:

https://www.telegaertner.com/en/info/highlights/mfp8/angled-version/

Note: In order to not damage the Kemper cable, I could work it out changing the connector to a cable that was recommended in another thread: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G…sw_r_em_apa_svMczbQRV59H4

Could this approach work? Thoughts?

Edited 3 times, last by Syntek ().

• Increasing the electrical resistance of the original Ethernet cable by adding other components is not supported. This can only be achieved, if Power over Ethernet (PoE) technology is used. Details can be found in the Main Manual chapter Profiler Remote paragraph Cabling.

But if I'm using shorter (for example twice as short as a standard one) cable from Kemper to Neutrik NE8FDP, do I still add enough resistance with Neutrik, that I need PoE?

• That depends on the resistance of each of the components you use. This is what the manual says:

The cable delivered with the Remote meets American Wire Gauge 24 (AWG), which can support up to 7.5m (22ft) length. AWG 26 cables have a smaller diameter and can only support up to 5m (15ft). Cables with higher AWG e. g. AWG 28 should not be used with the Remote.

Why would you want to take any risk, if you are building your custom rack setup anyhow and a PoE injector for 20$ gets you to the safe side?

• That depends on the resistance of each of the components you use. This is what the manual says:

The cable delivered with the Remote meets American Wire Gauge 24 (AWG), which can support up to 7.5m (22ft) length. AWG 26 cables have a smaller diameter and can only support up to 5m (15ft). Cables with higher AWG e. g. AWG 28 should not be used with the Remote.

Why would you want to take any risk, if you are building your custom rack setup anyhow and a PoE injector for 20$ gets you to the safe side?

About using an injector the manual says:

"This will enable you to bridge distances of more than 100m (300ft). The PoE injector can be located close to the PROFILER e. g. in the same rack and connected via a short ethernet cable.".

The manual describes a scenario where the user wants to extended significantly the distance to the Remote.

In my Pedalboard application, I will extend the distance just using a 1m. CAT5e ethernet patch angled cable underneath the board.

So, where should I place the PoE injector (a) underneath the board, between the Neutrik NE8FDP jack and the Remote or (b) In the KPA side, just next to the Kemper Profiler KPA with another short 1m. ethernet cat5e cable?

• You have three options:

1. You use the original Ethernet cable without any extensions, modifications, additional cables, plugs and sockets, ... whatsoever.

2. You use a compliant PoE injector and can use any Ethernet cables, extensions, sockets, plugs....

2. You are on your own.

Please start to consult the manual. It's all in the manual. There is even a picture and this sentence:

The PoE injector can be located close to the PROFILER e. g. in the same rack and connected via a short ethernet cable.

• Thanks. Indeed, I did consult the manual and I even copy/paste what the manual says in my post above, lines above my question. "This will enable you to bridge distances of more than 100m (300ft). The PoE injector can be located close to the PROFILER e. g. in the same rack and connected via a short ethernet cable..."

The scenario that we are talking about is not "exactly" as described/pictured in the manual, since it adds a rj45 socket in the middle of the connections. Perhaps it would be a nice addition to the Remote's manual, clarifying that this applies to short distances (1m patch) and any kind of bridge applications not described in the manual like: pedalboards, studio patch panel... That's was what I wanted to confirm, and your post helped a lot, Thanks.:thumbup:

• The need of a PoE injector is clear to me now, the manual has some brands and models suggested. And the good think is that it does not have to be inside the Pedalboard.

Back to my original question about RJ45 sockets Kemper Remote compliant.

The manual says "...PROFILER and Remotes should be connected to those ethernet sockets that provide PoE power. Supported are IEEE standard 802.3af-2003 as well as 802.3at-2009 mode A. Be aware that only mode A can be used; mode B is not functional!

This looks like the one used in the Remote: Neutrik NE8FDP, their site says: " Accommodates NE8MC* or any standard RJ45 plug..Cat5e compatible"

Some KP users did setup another connectors like this:

Are there any list of suggested RJ45 models or any actual user testimonials that would recommend a socket model?

• Finally I’ve had the time to finish this project.

If anyone wants/needs to mount an etherCON connector in a pedalboard, you can use a Neutrik NE8FDP (see previous post) and an Ethernet Cat5e cable. No need to use a PoE injector or switch, in this case.

Profiler Remote-->ethernet Cat5e cable --> Neutrik NE8FDP RJ45 jack --> Profiler Remote’s cable with etherCON connector—>KPA.

It works seamlessly, and the remote is fully protected.