How to send MIDI clock from Cubase

• Hi, i just received my Kemper two days back, still in the figuring out stuff stage. I am trying to set it up for my live rig which runs on a click from Cubase. So all patch changes will done by MIDI signal from Cubase. Wanted to sync the delay times too. If any of you use Cubase, if you could share the steps to send the MIDI clock from Cubase to Kemper that would be great. Thanks.

• I use Cubase in the studio, and the tempo sync "just works," i.e. I didn't have to do anything specific in Cubase other than point the midi track at the Kemper.

There are a couple of different ways you can do the patch changes via midi. One is to follow the formula that auto assigns the first 128 program change messages to the first 128 slots in consecutive performances. That works exactly as the manual says, but there's a second method I find even better.

If you send CC 47 + (performance - 1), that pulls up the performance. Then CC 50 - 54 actives slots 1 - 5 of the current performance. This is nice because if I reorder my performances, the only thing I have to change is the CC 47 value. The relative slots stay the same, so no need to change the CC 50-54 data. I'm also using some of the other CCs to turn on / off the various stomps / etc.

The tempo based stuff is active by default in the profile (i.e. you have to explicitly turn it off if you want to set delay by milliseconds). When I was first working with Cubase -> Kemper, I realized that the delay settings were in perfect time without me having to do anything (a nice little bonus), so apparently Cubase is sending midi clock by default because I didn't specifically turn it on. However, if you're not getting clock to the Kemper (but you've confirmed that midi is being received), I believe the send clock stuff is on the Transport menu in Cubase (working from memory).

I've been very happy with how easy this all is to get working.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• I am an expert with Cubase and studio . But when i go live I dont want make it complicate I just play and change rigs sounds THAT'S ALL . PS: btw a delay sounds better when it's not exactly based on the beat , just a bit beside. My 2 cents

• Somehow my Kemper seems to receive CC and PC MIDI commands from Cubase but not the tempo. Anything that i am missing out?

• Somehow my Kemper seems to receive CC and PC MIDI commands from Cubase but not the tempo. Anything that i am missing out?

You're obviously communicating with the Kemper, so I'm guessing it's a Cubase setting. I'll take a look at my setup in both Cubase and the Kemper next time I'm in the studio and will follow up with what my setup is.

• You're obviously communicating with the Kemper, so I'm guessing it's a Cubase setting. I'll take a look at my setup in both Cubase and the Kemper next time I'm in the studio and will follow up with what my setup is.

Thanks. Waiting for you to get back.

• Thanks. Waiting for you to get back.

I'll be in the studio this evening so I'll have a chance to look into it then.

In the meantime, if you could provide a little info about your setup it'll help with the debugging.

1. What version of Cubase are you running?
    2. Mac or PC?
    3. Go to the main menu, Transport > Project Synchronization Setup and let me know what your current settings are.

I'll take what I learn from your setup and compare to my own and I'm sure we'll get it figured out.

Edited once, last by Chris Duncan ().

• Okay, not only did I figure out your problem, I figured out that I had one as well (the first step is admitting you have a problem :)).

It turns out that it didn't "just work" for me. Rather, the song I had used and the delay I used just happened to be close enough for rock and roll, so I thought it was catching the tempo. Tonight I tested with a song I'm setting up that's at 190 bpm and it most assuredly was not giving me that tempo.

So, here's all you have to do. In Cubase, go to the Transport menu and select Project Synchronization Setup. I'm in 9.5, your naming may vary based on your version, but this is a dialog that includes Timecode source, Machine Control Output Destination, etc.

There's a section labeled MIDI Clock Destinations. It will have a list of available MIDI ports. Check the port that you're using to send to the Kemper and click OK.

That should do it for you. Once you start playing the Cubase project, you should see the Kemper Tap button flashing at the rate of your bpm quarter notes.

If this doesn't work for you, let me know and we'll see what's different.