Multiscale guitars

• Hello to everybody!

Currently I'm interested in a multiscale guitar and looking for opinions of experienced players. This is the one I'm maybe interested in:

https://www.gear4music.com/Gui…-Multi-Scale-6-Eaton/2EWO

I've read that these guitars have certain advantages such as more balanced sound, string seperation, string tension, easier to play (more ergonomic). But it seems to me that these guitars are more designed for downtuned, high gain stuff. I don't play in alternative tunings, so I'm scratching my head if I'll still have these advantages with standard tuning. What are your experiences regarding all this? Can you recommend other brands? What about multiscale guitars with tremolo bar? It seems that there are very few of them.

Please don't bother if I'm replying late, likely I'm not online this weekend. Thanks in advance! P.S.: I have enough to do with six strings, so please don't suggest 7, 8 or 20 string models... :)

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

Edited once, last by Kempermaniac ().

• IMO it's not worth having a multiscale six string. Ergonomically it's not any different. They're no more or less comfortable, just a matter of preference. String tension is higher to hit the same pitch on a longer scale, so the tension on the lower strings is higher. Some people like that. String separation is literally unchanged.

It's a neat feel, and they are certainly very trendy. I've played probably a dozen, and I enjoy them but I would not buy one just to have one. I sat down and played one at the Aristides booth at namm for a good hour and loved it....but not enough to throw down another $3800 on. They're neat, and get one if you want one, but there's no real tangible reason. It gets a little more noticeable on 7 and 8 (an more) string guitars, but it's still just a guitar :)

(and this is one of those subjects. Talk to 20 people, get 20 opinions. This is just mine)

Just a guy who plays a little bit of guitar.

• I will concede this, though. I was in the market for a hardtail 7 string, and it was going to be a multiscale if I was going to be buying one anyway. However, in a fortunate turn of events I will have a signature guitar coming out in April....NOT multiscale. The builder gave me 100% freedom to do anything I wanted, and we are doing a few unique things, but when there's going to be a guitar available that has my name on it, I opted for standard scale, for whatever that says.

Just a guy who plays a little bit of guitar.

• Multi scale 6 strings definitely serve a purpose: if you like to downtune, or really like the tone of light strings while retaining a good amount of tension. I have a few Strandbergs that are multi scale from 25”-25.5” so it’s like a PRS high end with a Fender low end. Not extreme at all, but when I found myself in between string sets on my PRS, then the Strandberg instantly addressed that issue.

My main gig is death metal, and we tune down a step to D standard, and I like a good amount of tension, so my preferred multi scale length is 25.5”-26.5”. I have a Kiesel Aries with this scale and it’s great in D standard, or tuned up to E standard if I swap strings to .009-.042. I also have a Padalka Neptune in this scale length, which is my main guitar, as lightweight headless guitars are tough to beat for gigging.

My other guitarist plays a Kiesel Zeus, and actually ordered an Ormsby Goliath that should be here any day. I’ll be doing a setup on it once it arrives so I’ll have a much better opinion of the fan once I get it. I know the Ormsby has a quite aggressive fan, which is great for really low tuning, or if you want to try something like a .038 low E string. So if you find yourself wanting more tension on the low end, but smooth, easy bending strings for solos: then multi scale is certainly something to consider.

• The Strandberg in my avatar is a multi-scale 8.

It definitely is an interesting concept, and is not limited to extended range guitars. You can also find 6 string guitars with a multi scale.

However, the exact guitar you linked is definitely intended for drop tuning, as it goes up to a baritone 27" scale on the lowest string.

I would suggest something like this, a bit pricier than the Ormsby, but I think it looks sexier as well.

https://strandbergguitars.com/…assic-trans-butterscotch/

Scale length is 25-25.5", so kind of like a PRS to a Fender neck hybrid.

With my experience with multiscale, it is not difficult to adjust to at all. In fact, after 5 minutes of just trying it, you will find it is just like fretting a regular guitar and you don't really have to change anything.

Would I buy a guitar just for multi scale? I don't think it's necessary at all. Heck, it's not like you find a massive difference in string tension using a guitar with regular frets, right?

I do like it on my Strandberg though. The low C# is super tight and defined, while the higher strings are not overly tense and it is really nice to bend them as well.

• Either thicker strings, which gives tighter string tension, lower action if that's what you want, and better intonation and the guitar stays better in tune and longer too. Or buy a guitar with at least 26.5 guitar scale length. Anyway that's my two cents.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• The PRS arrived yesterday, only had a good hour with her up to now. First impressions: good quality, nice character tonewise, nice vibration from the body, I miss the milling (hopefully this is the right word in english) on the body for resting the picking-arm, the neck seems a bit too chunky for my small hands and fingers. The last two things are a question of getting used to I hope.

• Either you will eventually get a long with the fat neck or not. Tried it and my small fingers didn't like it. Lets hope it's not the latter for you too. Anyway, some PRS modells comes with thinner neck. Maybe you should had considered that first?

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• I wanted a slightly wider neck than my MM Luke II because of wider string spacing, so I don't have to fret so accurate. As you probably know I've ordered an Gibson Les Paul before the PRS (width at the nut is comparable I think) and had no problem with the neck. That's why I didn't think about the neck of the PRS CE 24. But each neck is different. Let's hope that I'll get used to it.