What cables to connect via SPDIF?

• Buy your SPDIF cables from somewhere that you can return them to, just in case. On my Kemper toaster (and presumably the rest) the SPDIF sockets are recessed into the frame so cables that have a “chunky” outer ring at the end may not fit onto the socket. I have several SPDIF cables and none would fit, I think they are designed for hifi connections with a socket that sticks out. Something like this *should* fit (I haven’t tried this particular one, but you can see the style): KabelDirekt 1m RCA Audio Video Cable On Amazon UK

• The cable in the link above from Durwin99 is not a SPDIF cable.

RCA and SPDIF share the same connector, but the SPDIF has a different, much higher resistance (75 Ω).

If you want to record via SPDIF without digital connection issues, don´t get an RCA cable.

• The cable in the link above from Durwin99 is not a SPDIF cable.

RCA and SPDIF share the same connector, but the SPDIF has a different, much higher resistance (75 Ω).

If you want to record via SPDIF without digital connection issues, don´t get an RCA cable.

Hmmm... I think we’ve opened a (small) can of worms ! I didn’t see “SPDIF” anywhere on the page for the product I linked to, so yes, I was doubtful it was the right cable. I searched Amazon for “SPDIF cable” and it threw up a load with optical connectors so I added “RCA” to the search - I believe that RCA is the physical connector, SPDIF is the signal format sent over the cable. What I think you (we) need is a “Digital Coaxial Cable” which is capable of carrying the SPDIF signal, in stereo. Incidentally, searching for this on Amazon still gets the product I linked to and the images show it being used as a digital coax cable and people review it as such, so I’m still not sure!

Another reason to buy from somewhere you can return it !!

• SPDIF is a stereo connection in the digital realm. RCA is a mono connection in the analog realm. As others have said: it is a 75 ohm Digital coax. Pro Co makes a very nice cable as well as Mogami. Livewire makes an “elite“ cable that’s a fraction of the price, as well as Monoprice.