If you could only get profiles from 3 'profile makers' - whose would they be?

• Can’t just pick 3 honestly. I have regulars, but I’m also discovering new profilers / packs.

My regulars are:

* Tonecrate - simply ready to go hard rock / metal tones. So much presence and punch!
    * Top Jimi - an amazing collection of Marshall amps, and much more. They really react like real amps.
    * Live Ready Sound - a unique collection of high end and otherwise unattainable amps. Ferocious profiles and ready to go!
    * Lasse Lammert - His Producers pack could be the only pack I own, and I’d be a happy man.

* Sinmix - Are literally a staple of the Kemper. Their free pack alone is more amps than most will ever own. The packs I’ve bought will always be among my favourite.

I could go on all day, but I’m not at home, so I can’t look at my KPA.

Kemper KPA / Mooer Baby Bomb / Marshall MX212AR

Edited 2 times, last by calgaryben ().

• Lots of great info here. I will chime in with my opinion.

I'm a professional guitar player in the NYC area and play with one of the top event bands on the east coast. We don't use traditional amplification and everyone runs direct into the PA system and we all monitor with IEM's, so my experience with the Kemper is primarily in a live situation playing funk, R&B , Top 40 & some rock. I haven't found anything better than Michael Britt's profiles for this application (and I've tried a few other commercial profilers that have been listed in this thread). Michael's profiles come the closest to the "real thing", sit in the mix perfectly with a full band in a live situation, and require minimal tweaking. I'm always willing to try other people's profiles but none of them have come close to Michael's for my situation (and our soundmen have also agreed).

• In no particular order Suckerfreegear (official Cameron profiles), Bert M (mostly his Be100 pack), Big Hairy Profiles (80's rack gear) all for live use with an 80's rock tribute

• 1) LiveReadySound

2) Simix

3) Top Jimi

Have bought packs from a dozen or so different places now, and while there are definitely some other really good ones, the ones mentioned above stand mainly out due to having the best "feel" - dynamic and alive under the fingers like a real amp.

• 1)Big Hairy Profiles

2)Big Hairy Profiles

3)Big Hairy Profiles

Michael has profiles some serious preamps/amps and has an alien ear coming extremely close to famous recordings. I have almost all of his packs. The Huff pack deserves an award

• I Like GLS - they make good sounding profiles and nobody works harder at it that I can tell!

Also dig Michael Britt, and TAF as well. :)

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

• I have purchased from most and seem to stick with:

Bert Meulendijk (70% of the time - live & recording)

Cililab (20% of the time - recording mostly)

M Britt (5% - nowadays mostly his Vox AC 30)

I am really grateful for the contribution of these folks and they are all over my work (especially Bert!)

• JedMckenna Hey Jed, you started out a big advocate for MBritt and now Bert M seems to be more your preference (for live). Was it the BE pack that swayed you that way? I was using both of these legends for gigging (I have that illness where I use about 30 profiles live just coz you can with the Kemper :P), but the difference in tones from these 2 probably drive the sound guy mad as I switch from song to song. I have found with Bert's BE pack that there is a weird transient (thats the best way I can describe it) in some of the profiles. I also found they hide in the mix a bit, so I have to tweak a little to push them forward (not too much). Not putting them down BTW, I too use both these guys probably 54% Britt to 45% Bert 1% a Friedman SS100 from RE that I added a cab to (but I think that one will go soon).

• Interesting thread here and I am with you JedMckenna and tryhardhack regarding your choices. Similar here but different sorting 8o

1. MBritt for live, live, live and recording (~75%)
    2. Bert Meulendijk's BE100 & Filmo & Acoustic for recording (~15%)
    3. Tone Junkie & a few others for special cases, mostly in recording, re-amping etc. (10%)

I really see difference between live and recording use in many cases. Most beautiful profiles are those which work well in both cases 8)

• 1. Tone Junkies

2. M Britt

3. Choptones

M Britts are excellent and instantly likeable, TJ are slow burners for me and I like how they have specific amps in their packs with varying gains so dont require the Kemper overdrives, which for me aren't that great.

If there was a fourth choice I'd go with Top Jimi, love his Vox profiles.

'You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead' - Stan Laurel

• Hey Jed, you started out a big advocate for MBritt and now Bert M seems to be more your preference (for live). Was it the BE pack that swayed you that way? I was using both of these legends for gigging (I have that illness where I use about 30 profiles live just coz you can with the Kemper :P), but the difference in tones from these 2 probably drive the sound guy mad as I switch from song to song. I have found with Bert's BE pack that there is a weird transient (thats the best way I can describe it) in some of the profiles. I also found they hide in the mix a bit, so I have to tweak a little to push them forward (not too much). Not putting them down BTW, I too use both these guys probably 54% Britt to 45% Bert 1% a Friedman SS100 from RE that I added a cab to (but I think that one will go soon).

Ha! Yes Britt's profiles are awesome! They saved me on some occasions where I didn't have time to experiment much and loaded up performances without double checking at the right volume. I used them extensively/exclusively for a long time. However, one day I was on an important recording session and didn't get so lucky - I had stupidly forgotten my laptop and collection of profiles and was left only with those Britt saved in my Kemper which I insisted on using (because of the familiarity) instead of taking the amps they provided. I used them pretty much out of the box because I was a bit overwhelmed with the last minute call and the new client. Anyway, the engineer who had left the room wasn't impressed when he came back - it was an embarrassing failure but totally my fault and it still keeps me up at night. That incident was humbling and I had to rethink my approach and workflow with the profiler - I even went back regularly to a pedalboard + amps for a while in an attempt to "reset" my bad judgement! After that, the two following years have been slightly unusual work wise (let alone this pandemic thing) and I got into recording a lot more . I found I had to EQ and tweak some of my previous collection too often too much so my go-to's have started migrating towards profiles that I feel have more individuality (not one cab for all) and more variety in terms of range (profiles going from total clean to quite high gain.) I think Bert fitted the bill because he seems to be doing similar type of work (although in my case it's often all over the place stylistically.) I still highly respect both because they make profiles for themselves as performers first whereas I feel many others have jumped on this as a business opportunity or a hobby they can monetize and therefore might be doing this either for the wrong reasons or at least, not be doing it with the same things in mind. Anyone can put a 57 on an amp and make an amp bundle and a cool website but few have the knowledge coming from years in the trenches about what is likely to work best in a musical context. As a random example, take the Michael Wagener pack - who is quite honest about how guitar should sound in a mix - has been pretty much ignored/forgotten while others with better marketing or ratings on RM are sometimes drenched in reverb, full of ear candies and questionable frequencies.

About the BE pack, I love it but yes I also need to tweak it slightly especially for recording - I typically tame the low mids, bump the highs a bit or tweak the "high/low shift" slightly in the cab section a bit. Maybe I'm just used to them but they get where I want quicker than the others I came across.

• after testing lot of profiles,my new list is...

Marco Fanton

Guidorist

Big Hairy

Bert Meulendijk

those are my favorite vendors

Guitar: Fender Strat HSS<3 Schecter Custom Solo II

Signal Chain: Kemper->AxeFX 3>Neural QC>Apollo Twin->M-Audio Monitors

Computer:Mac Studio

• 1. Myself- I find myself using my own profiles the most

2. Tone Junkie- Some good flavors and he's won me over with his excellent YouTube channel

3. M Britt- Not as impressive to me, but his edge of breakup tones are excellent

-StumblinMan

(Gary)