Interface Gain knobs?

• The question is imho how your Kemper is connected to your interface. Can you toggle the inputs between Line and Mic? I guess that the preamps are only enabled when seeing XLR and the option "Mic" is chosen. If the preamps are enabled you likely have to turn the input down. So there's no real answer to your question as long as we don't know how you're connected. I'd set the inputs to line first (maybe using TS cables instead of XLR) and then see what happens.

On the other hand I'm far from being a pro in this regard so I'm hoping for others to chime in.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• Kempermaniac thanks for the reply. I just use xlr’s into the front of the Scarlett 18i8. There is a software with the Scarlett I know I can switch to line level. I’ll go in and make sure it’s set to that. If it is at line level than I should keep the gain knobs down still right?

What if I’m recording acoustic guitar direct though? Better to use mic level and use some preamp from the interface you think?

• Maybe switching to line level alone isn't enough because some interfaces are enabling the preamps automatically when XLR is plugged in. With an enabled preamp you're getting a hotter signal (maybe too hot). So again, use TS cables for being on the safe side and switch your interface to line level.

Regarding acoustic guitar, simply plug it into the Kemper, make use of the effects and record it through the Kemper as you would do with an electric guitar.

• Good luck! XLR has the advantage of not picking up so much noise from other devices but over short distances in a home studio TS cables ar fine too.

• From the 18i8 (gen 1) Manual p15 :

“The front panel input sockets are Combo XLR type, which accept either an XLR male connector (you will probably have one on the end of your microphone cable) or a ¼” (6.35 mm) jack plug. Note the Scarlett 18i8 has no “Mic/line” switch – the Focusrite preamplifier stage is automatically configured for a microphone when you plug an XLR into the input, and for a line or instrument when you connect a jack plug. Select INST in Scarlett MixControl (in the Input Settings panel below the Mixer section) if you are connecting a musical instrument (like a guitar) via an ordinary 2-pole guitar jack, or to LINE if you are connecting a line level source such as the balanced output of an external audio mixer via a 3-pole (TRS) jack. Note the Combo connector accepts both types of jack plug.”

So it seems an XLR connection will force the input to Mic level. I think you’d be better using a TS or TRS cable - the latter being balanced, so you could use XLR->TRS cables for Kemper connection. TS should be fine though for short lengths. You can go into the rear inputs 5-8 for this & bypass the gain control. You also have the option of SPDIF if you set the 18i8 to sync from external SPDIF using the Mix Control software, then you avoid some Digital/Analogue conversions...