Kemper remote freeze/connection

• Just got my KPA and remote 4 days ago. Updated it to the latest update ( public Beta)

Now at my gig suddenly my remote freezes. The screen goes dark and when I unplug and plug back in it keeps looking for connection. After it can’t make a connection it turns itself off. I noticed that when my kemper is connected to my laptop and the internet the remote connects after a while and works again. But after a while it does the whole freeze/connection trick again.

Is this a bug ? I personally don’t think its the cable but I’m not sure about anything. Anyone else having this issue lately ?

• Hey, welcome to the board.

Yes I've just had this issue come up as well, over the past week or so. My remote goes dark and starts looking for connection, then just turns off. I've had to re-boot the KPA to get the remote to re-connect again.

Presume this is a bug in the beta, but will have to see if any others have issues. I thought about bad cable too, but that's unlikely since you are having this issue too. My KPA/Remote are several years old, and I've never had issues before.

If anyone has any other ideas, please let us know.

Edited once, last by yarzo ().

• Hi

I have same problem too.

Sometimes the Profiler and remote freeze before last update.

Furthermore the remote startup process takes some time.

• Yup, I had the same problem.

For trouble shooting sake, were you guys connected via Rig Manager as well when this occurred?

I'm thinking that might be the problem but not convinced yet

• I definitely had this problem before and 10 times out of 10, it was because the USB cable from the Kemper was connected to my MacBook, even though the Rig Manager was closed. Once I disconnected the USB cable from the hub, the problem has not recurred. Fingers crossed.

Rockin' The D!

• I bought a brand new powered toaster and remote three weeks ago and it’s done the same thing several times.

I have the latest software loaded.

My kemper is always connected to my laptop and this error happens when I am browsing rigs. The screen freezes and the remote loses connection. In this state - I can turn the chicken knob to the off position and the unit still stays on. After about 5 seconds it then switches off. It’s done it enough times - that I’m exchanging the unit.

I have a replacement due next Tuesday so I’ll let you guys know how I get on. Of the new one does it - I’ll unplug the laptop and see if the behaviour repeats.

• ConradK when you say you have a laptop connected, does that also mean that you have Rig Manager open when this happens? or do you browse rigs from your Profiler and it just happens there is a USB connection from your Profiler to your laptop?

Get in touch with Profiler online support team here

• I definitely had this problem before and 10 times out of 10, it was because the USB cable from the Kemper was connected to my MacBook, even though the Rig Manager was closed. Once I disconnected the USB cable from the hub, the problem has not recurred. Fingers crossed.

Deli6505 is this still happening to you?

Get in touch with Profiler online support team here

• Yes it seems to occur with and without rig manager connected although when the last two freezes happened when :

Rig manager was connected via my laptop but the laptop was In sleep mode

It seems to happen when I am browsing rigs using the browse knob - it suddenly freezes and then I can actually turn the chicken knob off and the Unit stays on for another - 5/8 seconds or so

It’s happened enough times that I’m returning the unit - I sent a video of the problem to Andertons who sent onto kemper , I believe

• The screen freezes and the remote loses connection. In this state - I can turn the chicken knob to the off position and the unit still stays on. After about 5 seconds it then switches off.

that”s interesting. Mine used to do the exact same thing not long after I got it. This was around a year ago. I’ve updated the OS and RM software several times since then and the problem has never recurred. However, I think I remember that the cause at the time was actually my USB hub. And the problem stopped when I started plugging directly into my iMac.

• Really not sure

but will know this week, as the new one arrives tomorrow.

I’ll play it unplugged for a week and then play plugged (into another pc with rig manager) and see if it repeats the behaviour.

couldn't afford to take a chance with such an expensive piece of equipment

• Was this ever addressed? Happens to me as well, new Kemper remote. I'm in a home studio, I always use Rig Manager so my laptop is always connected. Even with the laptop sleeping and the USB cable connected to a hub, the Kemper (rack, non powered) freezes with the USB cable connected. if I disconnect the Remote or the USB cable the head unit starts responding again.

Edit: Updated to the latest FW. Now it hangs when I switch from Perform to Browser. Unit is locked up completely and has to be hard power cycled (pulling the plug). This is less than ideal.