Kemper remote freeze/connection

• This happened to me this week. I have tried another remote, and same problem. I've also tried cables from 1.5ft, right up to the supplied Kemper cable. Again, same issue.

Interestingly, yesterday (after a break of 12 hours or so) it started working again... .then shut down after around 15 minutes. A few hours later, it lasted for well over an hour (before flickering, and shutting down). A few hours after that, it was running for 3 hours before I shut it down... and no issues then.

HOWEVER, When I use a PoE injector, it works fine. So, maybe that is the solution?

Kemper suggested that if you don't use a Kemper 'approved' PoE, then it could be that the PoE affected the 48v supply, but obviously (presumably) as I have since had it running fine for over an hour, I doubt that is the case. And in any case, I AM using a TPLink 105, which they recommend

They also suggested that the ethernet connector (on the KPA) might have been damaged, but there is no visible evidence of that.

So - based on this (and the fact that I lost my remote due to a faulty remote, during a gig (hence why I now have two!!)) I am very nervous of using the Kemper live. So, I have a question - can anyone recommend a MIDI controller that will allow me to quickly change rigs within Performance mode (so 5 footswitches), and performances (up / down) combined?

Thanks!

• Hi. Yes, I did, but I'm not sure I can help much. I did return the remote (thankfully, under warranty) and Kemper USA confirmed that there was indeed a fault. They returned the original remote, and all was (is) good.

HOWEVER, I would make sure that you use a PoE. I've actually had a problem with shorter (2 to 3 metres) cables, that was fixed by connecting a power over ethernet injector. Kemper does recommend the TP Link 105, and I concur. I actually have two now (one Kemper for live work, and one for practice). Both work great.

I think it is a good ~$20 investment.

I hope this helps.

• Just to make sure .... while a PoE injector increases flexibility allowing to bridge longer distances and using any Etherent cables, Remotes work reliably without PoE as long as there is no defective hardware and the Ethernet cable meets specs - like the original cable.

• same problem here, original cable, tried another cable same problem. Be on the last release OS. I m scared cause i have a gig on saturday.😱

Cry Baby Slash Classic Wah -> KPA -> main to FOH ->KRK6 -> Monitor out DXR10 -> EXP DVP3 -> Remote: Guitars: Slash Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop - James Tyler Variax JTV59 - Epiphone Les Paul with EMG 81 - Furch GN2 Nylon -> Maybach Lester 60 -> Kemper Powered Cab -/ Focusrite Scarlett

• This happens to me all the time, regardless of whether or not I am connected to RM. My Profiler has even been back to Kemper HQ for inspection but I was told everything is normal even though the remote continues to lose connection to the Profiler if I so much as touch the ethernet cable or move the unit with the cable attached. (Changing out the cable didn't help.) I have given up hope of this issue being satisfactorily dealt with and resigned myself to reinserting the cable connector each time it goes down to bring the remote back online.

• Your PROFILER was in our Service Center initially because of a perceived power amp issue you reported, which could not be reproduced nor measured. You had provided the information, that this issue only affected the SPEAKER OUT and not any other outputs. Is there still such an issue?

When the PROFILER was already on its way to our Service Center because of this power amp issue you raised an additional request to check the PROFILER's Ethernet port because of Remote loss of contact issues. The Ethernet port of the PROFILER has also been tested and measured without finding any defects. If you are absolutely sure, that your Ethernet cables must be in order, what about the Remote? The Remote has not been checked. I guess, if my colleagues had known about this second issue, they had asked you to send PROFILER plus Remote plus cable. The way you describe the issue, it cannot be hard to identify the trouble maker and fix it. So I would say, you didn't give it a fair chance.

Perhaps your have access to another Remote ... a friend, a colleague, a shop? I would still try a third cable, perhaps a short off-the-shelf cable. And I would check the contacts at the Remote side.

• Your PROFILER was in our Service Center initially because of a perceived power amp issue you reported, which could not be reproduced nor measured. You had provided the information, that this issue only affected the SPEAKER OUT and not any other outputs. Is there still such an issue?

When the PROFILER was already on its way to our Service Center because of this power amp issue you raised an additional request to check the PROFILER's Ethernet port because of Remote loss of contact issues. The Ethernet port of the PROFILER has also been tested and measured without finding any defects. If you are absolutely sure, that your Ethernet cables must be in order, what about the Remote? The Remote has not been checked. I guess, if my colleagues had known about this second issue, they had asked you to send PROFILER plus Remote plus cable. The way you describe the issue, it cannot be hard to identify the trouble maker and fix it. So I would say, you didn't give it a fair chance.

Perhaps your have access to another Remote ... a friend, a colleague, a shop? I would still try a third cable, perhaps a short off-the-shelf cable. And I would check the contacts at the Remote side.

Yes, that is a fair point. I dare say the Remote contacts could be at fault but I don't have another to try out. I do feel it's unlikely to be the Remote however, as moving the Remote or wiggling the cable at the Remote side does not break the connection with the Profiler, while as I mentioned this is what happens at the Profiler end of the connection.

How might I confirm the integrity of the Remote's contacts? BTW, what is the expected working life of an Ethernet cable (how long should I expect it to last)?

Regarding the power amp, I have tried it out briefly at low volumes without noticing further issues at present.