Profiling with Pedals?

• I have seen some profiles, i.e, with KLON, etc. How does this work?

Can you put say an overdrive or fuzz in the chain when you are profiling? How do you do this? I know this sounds like a dumb question maybe, but I'm genuinely interested.

Thanks!

• Profiling is essentially taking a snapshot of what's coming out of your guitar speakers at that moment in time, plus honoring the tone decisions you've made by mic choice and placement. That's what gets captured. So, in simplistic terms (since I'm a simple creature by nature), a snapshot is a snapshot, whether there are pedals in the chain or not.

Yes, exactly like this. Put your favourite drive in the signal chain and go profile.

If you do two profiles, one without the drive and one with drive and put them in a performance you can have your cake and eat it, too.

I think for people who create their own profiles this is an excellent approach. It lets you take advantage of the fact that it's really a golden age for pedals, and yet still get the convenience of the Kemper.

My playing and tone needs aren't as pedal intensive as some folks, so the built in stomps for the Kemper do a great job for me. That said, if you have an investment in a lot of special pedals that give you exactly the sounds you're looking for, you don't have to drag along a pedal board to use them. Just dial in all the pedal driven tones you use for a gig, profile them both on and off, and you're good to go.

And now I want cake. Thanks, Ingolf. :)

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• Thank you! So I guess the actual guitar makes a difference too?

I was just wondering how it works though. I mean, when it's profiling, and the test tones start, how do they go through the pedals too? Or when you REFINE the profile, and play the guitar, is that where it happens?

• OK Don! Thank you! That's good. Still wondering how the pedals are captured though, I guess that pulse goes THROUGH the pedals though on the way in and out, because you plug the guitar into the Kemper, and from the Kemper OUT into the pedal/amp, etc., so that's how it's in the chain?

Sorry if these sound like dumb questions, I just like to know WHY in addition to the HOW.

• and from the Kemper OUT into the pedal/amp, etc., so that's how it's in the chain?

Sorry if these sound like dumb questions, I just like to know WHY in addition to the HOW.

exactly! :)

the resulting Profile will however be one entity - the pedal and the amp - you cannot separate the two, hence Ingolf 's tip to profile with and without the pedal.

I think that these are pretty good questions, actually! ;)

• Yes! OK, that's what I figured. Thank you for clarifying!

I am planning on profiling with and without the pedals and in different combinations, I understand about the snapshot analogy But this is good because I can use some of my vintage pedals to create some unique sounds, and then be able to leave those pedals at home.

Thank you for all of your help!

• Yes! OK, that's what I figured. Thank you for clarifying!

I am planning on profiling with and without the pedals and in different combinations, I understand about the snapshot analogy But this is good because I can use some of my vintage pedals to create some unique sounds, and then be able to leave those pedals at home.

Thank you for all of your help!

welcome.

however, please be aware that only boost, overdrive, distortion pedals will be properly profiled.
    chorus, delay etc. will not work.

• To answer your point on does the guitar make a difference, profiling will include whatever is in the signal chain of profiling.

When you profile, there is no guitar in the signal chain and hence cannot influence the profile itself. If you check out the connections made in profiling, you will see that. Go have fun!!!

The only limitations here are I think some modulation pedals don't profile well but overdrives/fuzz/gain are fine. Is that correct DonPetersen ?

• Normally when profiling you do have a guitar plugged in but that just to make sure that you like the profile and refining at the end, not to make the initial profile. So in this sense the guitar does not have an effect on the profile itself.

Check out this video, explains pretty well, how everything is hooked up together and how profiling it done:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Normally when profiling you do have a guitar plugged in but that just to make sure that you like the profile and refining at the end, not to make the initial profile. So in this sense the guitar does not have an effect on the profile itself.

Far better explanation than mine :)

• OK, I am having trouble with a EHX POG.

I put it in the chain, just before the front of the amp input coming from the Kemper. Obviously, playing it it sounds like it always does.

But when it comes to the refining mode, even if I play the bass for a bit before, it just sounds totally clean. No Octave sound whatsoever. I then tried it in the FX loop and the same thing happened.

You would think there would be SOMETHING? It's just a nice clean amp.

I'm set up right now, so hopefully I get a response fairly quickly.

• The POG is a time based effect and thus cannot be profiled.

• I think somebody needs to figure out how to do profile pedals. Can you imagine how much money they'd be able to make? However, I bet the pedal companies would NOT like it.

Its a feature request ;)

Just bear in mind though that the built in delays have been massively improved and reverbs are on the way. The options for gain overdrive fromt he choice of amp is also enormous plus you can profile with them included - I appreciate for pedal guys there is some stuff missing, there is already a lot there...

Maybe as they've announced profiles of speaker cabs ( sort of - Kemper Kone), it might be next on the list :)

• I have to say - big props to Kemper - when you just have to have that physical pedal, they actually make it easy. We have three actual pedals hooked up to ours. One is a Frequout, right after the Polytune and before the Kemper input. (I know the Kemper has a tuner but that Polytune is just impossible to beat with the speed and visuals - don't hate on me ;))

The other one is a Mimiq in the X slot as an external stereo pedal. And they both work perfectly and the stereo external effects wiring is also both supported and very simple with the Kemper.

So I know you probably don't want to hear this but having actual pedals running with the Kemper is totally cool and works just fine.

The flip-side is that (of course) our boost pedals are all gathering dust (even the ones I myself made) because we just use profiles with the right amount of gain "built in".