Profiling Direct Out

• Just a question

Can i profile an amp via via it's effect send from the effects loop?
    If that is possible, why would i want to use a DI box from the speaker out for profiling?

If there a difference in the above 2 methods?

Thanks!

• Yes, you can use your effects loop send for profiling. The difference to using a DI box between Speaker out and Speaker is that with the DI box method you have to tonal influence of your (tube) poweramp within the signal. This does not necessarily sound better, but depending on your amp and settings like presence and resonance (which happen in the poweramp section), the power amp signal might have some more low and high end. The effect send on the other hand mostly sounds a little flatter, which might also be nice. I also had some amps which used a different way for the effect loop buffering and sounded either harsh or dull. Just experiment and see what works best for you.

• Tylerhb made a perfect explaination.
    I just want to add that the choice depends on how you are going to use your profiles.
    I you want to use them with a tube power amp i'd suggest to make profiles without the power amp (i.e. using the Fx Loop). This will avoid rendundancies and overcompression due to the nature of tube sound.
    If you are willing to use your profiles with a SS amp and guitar cabinet or just want to trick with user/factory cabinets i think that the DI profile is the way to go.