What kind of cable do Ineed for SPDIF connection?

• Seems I purchased wrong ones. The spdif cables I just bought doesn't fit, they're optical. On the Kemper it seems to be another phono-like. And I have a brand new Focusrite Clarett Pre2, but I can't see any inputs for spdif on it?

• Your only option is to use the line outs of the Kemper into the line ins on your interface. The SPDIF on the Kemper is for RCA type jacks.

Ahh I see, thanks. Guess I'll have to stick with analogue on this card.. Do you know how to bypass the built in preamp in this particular card? The Kemper sounds horrible through it. Maybe it's because I'm using XLR?

• If you go into the interface via analog then you are at the mercy of the in built converters sadly.

Ok but is there a way to go in digitally? My card has a TOSLINK in, Kemper being RCA or what it's called. Is there some cables that goes from RCA to TOSLINK?

• The Kemper sounds horrible through it.

Oh man. I've purchased the wrong soundcard.

Focusrite converters have a good reputation for quality, and there's nothing wrong with going analogue in to your audio interface. In fact, far more people connect to their audio interfaces via analogue than spdif, and there's an entire community of people who cling to exclusively analogue gear because they think, rightly or wrongly, that digital sucks.

For any decent quality bit of gear (and Focusrite makes good gear), the difference you'll hear between analogue and spdif is good vs. better, not horrible vs. good.

If the Kemper truly sounds horrible (posting some examples of the horrible sound and profile used might be helpful), the possibility exists that you're trying to solve the wrong problem.

Are you sure you have everything configured properly?

Yeah, no I'll swap it for a 4pre instead. I just got it today and the seller just told me I can trade it. Better than extra cables, boxes and power cables.

You posted this as I was typing. Before you start spending more money, I think you might need to do some debugging first. The Focusrite you have shouldn't sound "horrible," so I suspect something else is the source of your trouble.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• Yeah. I had my Kemper connected to my Fluid F5 monitors. Sounded wonderful for a long time! Then when I got the 2pre today and connected through it, my profiles were dull (like playing through Amplitube 3 or Guitar Rig software, Rocksmith even..). I guess it's because of the onboard preamp. My main use for that onboard preamp was going to be vocals only, but as above, I learned that there is no way to bypass it except digital.

• Yeah. I had my Kemper connected to my Fluid F5 monitors. Sounded wonderful for a long time! Then when I got the 2pre today and connected through it, my profiles were dull (like playing through Amplitube 3 or Guitar Rig software, Rocksmith even..). I guess it's because of the onboard preamp. My main use for that onboard preamp was going to be vocals only, but as above, I learned that there is no way to bypass it except digital.

What's the complete signal chain starting with the Kemper and ending with the speakers? Is there any software, e.g. a DAW, included in the path?

Looking at their specs for the 2, they support 44.1 to 192 at 24 bit, so your sample rate would be another thing to look at.

https://focusrite.com/thunderb…face/clarett/clarett-2pre

Edited once, last by Chris Duncan ().

• I don't know. Not only the reason why I'm swappiing it. I was planning on using reamp function with the spdif. I didn't use it through daw. Plainly through the soundcard via XLR. At least the profiles I was carefully tweaking, they were sounding much more flat and mellow bubly distorted, instead of that gritty bite I was used to.. The only thing I could come up with was the preamp in between, because that's the only change that was done.. Not saying that their converters suck, just to be clear I didn't say that. :) I just didn't like how it colored my profiles

• I don't know. Not only the reason why I'm swappiing it. I was planning on using reamp function with the spdif. I didn't use it through daw. Plainly through the soundcard via XLR. At least the profiles I was carefully tweaking, they were sounding much more flat and mellow bubly distorted, instead of that gritty bite I was used to.. The only thing I could come up with was the preamp in between, because that's the only change that was done.. Not saying that their converters suck, just to be clear I didn't say that. :)

Yeah, I was just being a wise guy and already deleted that. :)

Swapping to get more inputs makes sense, and I love reamping through the Kemper. I may have made my edit after you posted this, but be sure to take a look at your sample rate as that's one possible quality consideration.

By the way, you keep talking about a "sound card." Just for clarification, do you mean the Focusrite audio interface, or is there an internal sound card in your Mac that's also a factor? What are the speakers plugged into, the Mac sound card or the line outs of the Focusrite?

• Ah yeah I meant audio interace. We say lydkort (soundcard) here in Norway, just a bad habit. I connected the FRFR monitors via the line outs of my interface yes. Not going through anything else than the Focusrite. Didn't check the samplerate before packing down my soundcard, but I guess it was set to default 44khz. Past experiences I've known no difference on my guitars from 44khz and 48khz. But, I'm gonna swap the card even if that's the case or not :) At the very least I have more options with the 4pre

• By the way, thank you for being so helpful here on the forums. I see you everywhere, helping everyone that's new and old in the best way. Good to have you in the community here.

• There are tons of guys who have been here since Day 1, and they've all been very generous with their time and expertise when I need help.

I don't know near as much as them, but I try to help where I can to try and pay a little of that back. :)

• There are tons of guys who have been here since Day 1, and they've all been very generous with their time and expertise when I need help.

I don't know near as much as them, but I try to help where I can to try and pay a little of that back. :)

That's me someday in the future hopefully ^^

• I connected the FRFR monitors via the line outs of my interface yes. Not going through anything else than the Focusrite. Didn't check the samplerate before packing down my soundcard, but I guess it was set to default 44khz. Past experiences I've known no difference on my guitars from 44khz and 48khz. But, I'm gonna swap the card even if that's the case or not :) At the very least I have more options with the 4pre

Apologies, I somehow missed this.

Since you're not going into the computer with it, I'm guessing the AD / DA converters don't even come into play, i.e. Kemper L/R out -> Focusrite mic inputs -> line outputs. Of course, that's just an assumption, I don't know how they route things internally or whether it's "true bypass" in that scenario, as the pedal manufacturers would say. Be interested in hearing if the 4pre sounds any different.

Ah yeah I meant audio interace. We say lydkort (soundcard) here in Norway, just a bad habit.

Dude, I'm the last one to comment about bad habits. Beyond English (or rather American, as my British friends are fond of pointing out), all I know is just enough Spanish to get me kicked out of a Mexican bar. :)