The (im)practicality of volume

• We had some time today to "waste" so Jr and I went to a local music store.

Jr played the most expensive setup of his life - a $2K+ telecaster on a used Friedman that was selling for $2.8K. The two observations he made (he is 12 years old btw).

1) The $400 Mexican Fender Cyclone he also tried felt and sounded better than the expensive Telecaster. And it wasn't just him thinking that, as he started playing Seek and Destroy, other dudes came by the check him and the guitar out.

2) (This is the real killer) Naturally I could not dime that Friedman in a store. And with that nice Marshall 4x12 it was hooked up to, it did NOT sound nearly as good as our Kemper sounds (here) at home.

Obviously I know this, I can play the Kemper at low volumes and still sound good. What was surprising is how much we got used to this. And while I am positive that the Friedman would have obliterated half the town with amazing sound if I could crank that thing, it was really sub-par at that 2-3 that we had to have it. (Just for scientific purposes, the Friedman only went to 10, not 11 so it was probably not the loudest one ^^)

The strange thing is, if we had that beautiful Friedman at home, we still would NOT be able to basically ever enjoy its tone.

• I have frequently thought that the people who miss the "amp in the room" sound are really missing "the VOLUME in the room" sound.

I have my basement setup with a full PA (DSR112's over PRX618XLF's). This is a very powerful system to play a Kemper through; however, what I find is that even through this system, the volume I play "just guitar" at is MUCH MUCH higher than what I play it at when I put the other band members back through the PA (multi-track recordings).

The volume that works well in the mix is not what "sounds good" to our ears when auditioning a guitar on its own.

Having said that, I have a friend that had 2 tube amps with two 4x12 cabs (JCM2000 and Randal). We recently played together for a gig and while practicing, his entire band preferred my Kemper and a single DSR112. He sold both tube amps and now has a Kemper with a pair of DSR112's :)

There is a visceral emotion we get as guitar players when the "amp in the room" volume is pumping around us. I don't disagree that this has an effect on how some people play. It also provides a butt ton of string action .... which also contributes to some tones (lead especially).

To have a good mix as a BAND though, it is a rare venue where you could unleash a Friedman (or any other tube amp) on 10 and have the mix sound good ;)

• Obviously I know this, I can play the Kemper at low volumes and still sound good. What was surprising is how much we got used to this. And while I am positive that the Friedman would have obliterated half the town with amazing sound if I could crank that thing, it was really sub-par at that 2-3 that we had to have it. (Just for scientific purposes, the Friedman only went to 10, not 11 so it was probably not the loudest one ^^)

The strange thing is, if we had that beautiful Friedman at home, we still would NOT be able to basically ever enjoy its tone.

I think we underestimate the level of change that the KPA ( and Helix/fractal etc) have on the way we think about our amps now. Add IEM's and its a total reversal of highly cranked ear splitting volume....

I think more now about my FOH sound than my stage sound.....definitely not how it used to be...

• I think we underestimate the level of change that the KPA ( and Helix/fractal etc) have on the way we think about our amps now

Absolutely.

And I think it is most shocking in the next generation. My 12 year old does not really hold tube amps in reverence like I do. On our way home in the car he just said casually "I did not like the Friedman that much, I think the Kemper sounds better." For him now, having a super high gain tone (like the Corpse) at low volume is the norm.