Power Amp for KPA Unpowered + Rig Setup

• Hey again experts,

I’m not too far away from purchasing a KPA Unpowered rack and I’m relatively new to gear outside of a combo amp, so I was just wondering if the power amp I’m eyeing off will be enough for my end-goal rig?

The power amp I’ve been recommended is the Matrix GT800FX which I’ll need shipped from the US given I’m based in AUS. The 1000FX is only a few hundred extra too.

Is this enough to power:

Unpowered KPA Rack Unit

Wireless Rack Unit

Orange 2x12

Potential rack tuner

I’m just a bit lost if there’s something else I need or this power amp is able to power the lot I’ve listed above.

Cheers!

Mike

• Mike,

Matrix is the go to amp so I'm sure you'll love it. However, is it too late to just go for the powered version? Saves rack space, additional connections etc...probably works out a similar price..

• I agree the Matrix is awesome and you won't need the 1000 to run, it's probably only a 120w cab anyways? Also agree to get the powered version, wish I had somedays but then again the open back makes a great place to store my phone and keys during a show :)

• When you say to power the lot, the Matrix just powers your speakers (Orange 2x12), not the rest of of your gear. Normally in the rack situation that you listed above, someone would also purchase a 1u rack power conditioner, like a Furman for example. You could then plug your Kemper, wireless, Matrix and rack tuner into the back of it inside the rack case, to save having to utilize a power strip.

Hope this helps and I'm not adding any confusion.

• When you say to power the lot, the Matrix just powers your speakers (Orange 2x12), not the rest of of your gear. Normally in the rack situation that you listed above, someone would also purchase a 1u rack power conditioner, like a Furman for example. You could then plug your Kemper, wireless, Matrix and rack tuner into the back of it inside the rack case, to save having to utilize a power strip.

Hope this helps and I'm not adding any confusion.

.... so the Matrix doesn’t power the unpowered Kemper? Huh.

• Mike,

Matrix is the go to amp so I'm sure you'll love it. However, is it too late to just go for the powered version? Saves rack space, additional connections etc...probably works out a similar price..

works out to be around 300 dollars cheaper my dude, trust me I’ve thought about it haha

• .... so the Matrix doesn’t power the unpowered Kemper? Huh.

So first things first, AUS power outlets/sockets run at 230v. USA runs at 110v. The reason I mention this, is to ensure that if you are ordering a power amp from the US, make sure it will work on 230v. Don't they sell Matrix amps out of the UK?

Your combo amp combines the pre-amp (Kemper), the power amp (Matrix) and speaker into one box. In order to get your combo to work, you need to plug it into a wall socket in order to power it up. The Matrix doesn't power the Kemper, it takes the signal from the Kemper, adds power to it and sends it to your speakers.