Comments and feedback about my live setup

• Hi all

I've had my Kemper a week and i'm starting to get comfortable with it. I'm planning on gigging it at the end of the month when i've had chance to set up all profiles, levels, program the FCB1010 controller i have etc.

I'll detail below my intended live setup for the gig, and i'm just looking for feedback or comments from anyone thats more experienced in gigging their kemper, and especially anyone (like myself) thats gone from a traditional tube head and 4X12 cab to the Kemper.

Here's what i intend to do.

(Guitar with Line6 G30 wireless pack )

Guitar signal --> pedal board on stage (G30 wireless, Digitech Drop Pedal, Boss Tuner) --> cable to input on front of Kemper

Kemper will be controlled by FCB1010 foot controller on stage

Powered kemper --> my Marshall 4X12 cab (cab sim turned off on the Kemper) --> traditional microphone in front of cab going to the sound man

So,.. does anyone have any feedback? Is there a better way?

Cheers

Jack.

• Sounds good! One thing to consider is to not mic your cab but instead leaving the cabsim on for the main outs and sending your signal from there to the soundman.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• This is almost exactly how I used to run mine.

As Kempermaniac says, one of the best things about the Kemper is you don't have to mic the cab and go direct to the desk...BUT...to do this I strongly recommend:

You test your profiles through a PA or FRFR Speaker. I had to change all of mine because what sounded good through a Guitar cab didn't sound good direct. In other words, guitar cabs can mask profiles that are not great

Sort you settings in advance - you need to set your output levl to the desk ( the main out's level) to around -18DB otherwise the signal is too hot. Also unlink your volumes so you can change you volume on your backline but not to the desk.

in other words don't try this on the night, test it out first and get comfortable with it.

I would also look to use the Unochip on the fcb1010. Then with 2 midi cables you get the tuner displayed! I would also bin the tuner and drop pedal and just use the Kemper and FCB1010. Then you can have the G30 next to your Kemper.

Ultimately look to upgrade to the remote, your pedal board becomes so much easier...I have no power needed at front of the stage, just the cable to the Kemper...

Also consider going FRFR, Its a different concept but I only use a guitar cab/4x12 now for looks...

Hope that makes sense...

• One solution could be to look for a cabsim that sounds identical/almost identical to your physical 4x12. This will hopefully lead to a comparable sound on stage and FOH.

• I would also look to use the Unochip on the fcb1010. Then with 2 midi cables you get the tuner displayed! I would also bin the tuner and drop pedal and just use the Kemper and FCB1010. Then you can have the G30 next to your Kemper.

Ultimately look to upgrade to the remote, your pedal board becomes so much easier...I have no power needed at front of the stage, just the cable to the Kemper...

1 - I will look into using the Unochip. Is the tuner display actually any good on the FCB1010 though?

2 - I need the drop pedal as our singer now likes us to play in D standard, and im not happy setting up loads of guitars in that tuning. So ts quite a useful tool for me and the other guitarist. Does the Kemper have a feature to lower guitar pitch to lower tunings? i only need the pedals on the pedalboard at the minute for the tuner, otherwise they would be in the rack case with the Kemper.

3 - Im already looking to upgrade to the kemper remote. I bought the Kemper 2nd hand with the FCB1010 so its all i have at the minute.

• Can only echo what the other said.

No need to mic the cab, just go straight to the PA - after making sure you sound as awesome through it as you can. :)

I have the Eureka chip for the FCB, I think its display is just not that great for the tuner functionality. It works just not that great. So I would recommend you keep the Boss pedal.

• Does the Kemper have a feature to lower guitar pitch to lower tunings?

Yes. It is available as a stomp called "Transpose" or within the rig menu for keeping a stomp slot free for other effects. If you use it as a stomp make sure it's first in the signal chain which means slot A.

• 1 - I will look into using the Unochip. Is the tuner display actually any good on the FCB1010 though?

2 - I need the drop pedal as our singer now likes us to play in D standard, and im not happy setting up loads of guitars in that tuning. So ts quite a useful tool for me and the other guitarist. Does the Kemper have a feature to lower guitar pitch to lower tunings? i only need the pedals on the pedalboard at the minute for the tuner, otherwise they would be in the rack case with the Kemper.

3 - Im already looking to upgrade to the kemper remote. I bought the Kemper 2nd hand with the FCB1010 so its all i have at the minute.

1> Its not great but it works. The Unochip has some other benefits as well it terms of easier set up although I didn;t use the FCB1010 without it so can;t tell you the immediate difference.

2. Yes as mentioned there is a transpose. It's OK/useable, I think its comparable to the drop pedal in terms of sound and latency etc. I use it live. You can use it as a Whammy as well....Have a play...

3. The FCB1010 is pretty good so no urgency to change but the remote is excellent

ROCK!