[LRS] Tips and Tricks - Compressor Block After the Amp

• What's the purpose of this? Makes the amp sound and feel more squishy? Less stiff?

Rik

Kemper toaster >Kemper remote> 2 x Alto TS310 powered speakers Furman M-8XAR

• Why not just increase the compression a little within the amp module instead?

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams

• Does adding a compressor increase the latency?

Reading recently about Kemper's default latency settings vs. 'constant latency', and apparently the default latency changes per profile depending on dsp needs (it's variable). I've definitely noticed some really obvious profiles in the past, but never noted what fx were active.

So the question is, does adding a compressor pump up that variable latency higher?

• Why not just increase the compression a little within the amp module instead?

The in amp compressor while great works a little different. Also the mix parameter is the key here.

Does adding a compressor increase the latency?

Reading recently about Kemper's default latency settings vs. 'constant latency', and apparently the default latency changes per profile depending on dsp needs (it's variable). I've definitely noticed some really obvious profiles in the past, but never noted what fx were active.

So the question is, does adding a compressor pump up that variable latency higher?

Not sure on this.

• Parallel compression can be really fun for high-gain guitars. I often add some in the DAW, set pretty aggresively, with a mid scoop afterward and blended in very gently. It can often give the feeling of a cranked-up amp without needing the gain as high.

That said, I've never had much like trying it in the Kemper - IMO it's because we don't have normal compressor controls to work with.

• Parallel compression can be really fun for high-gain guitars. I often add some in the DAW, set pretty aggresively, with a mid scoop afterward and blended in very gently. It can often give the feeling of a cranked-up amp without needing the gain as high.

That said, I've never had much like trying it in the Kemper - IMO it's because we don't have normal compressor controls to work with.

It isn't perfect for sure. Even at the minimum settings it seems like there could be a little less but for me it is still very useful.

• I picked up an Empress EQ to put in the loop in slot X. I want to be able to quickly identify any problems areas in the high end (a number of my hi gain rigs get a bit glassy at times) and fix them with a narrow Q and then roll off the lows and tweak the mids as necessary. This is mainly because of what Lok said - Kemper's UI for comps are cumbersome and not adept at quick adjustments on the fly. With the Empress I'll be able to adjust everything with my eyes closed.

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams