Sidechain Noise Gate for Loop Distortion

• Before my Kemper, I was using an ISP Decimator G String (http://www.isptechnologies.com…imator-ii-g-string-pedal/). It's a noise gate that uses the clean guitar signal as the trigger (sidechain). It works really well.

It would would be nice if the Loop Distortion effect had a noise gate option that worked the same as the Decimator (use the clean signal as the trigger). It would work better than the current Loop Distortion + Noise Gate in two different slots, since the noise gate would have the clean signal for reference (without all the hiss and noise already).

• I would be surprised to see someone say how this wouldn't be very useful. I think it also brings some light to the noise hiss in the loop as well in this setup. I wonder if a little less volume in the loop could fix that though.

Always an advocate for combination effects and implanting effects or parameters into exhisting modules. ?

• Another way to do it instead of changing the loop distortion effect would be to change the existing noise gates (the ones in slots) and add a source parameter with at least the following values:

1 - Guitar input

2 - Previous slot (the current setting, I guess)

• Are you sure the current noise gate doesn't already function this way?

That would be a massive oversight which I wouldn't expect from the guys at Kemper.

It should be super easy to achieve in the digital world so I would be surprised (possibly even shocked) if the current noise gates aren't automatically triggered by a sidechain signal without Kemper actually talking about it as a special feature.

• Are you sure the current noise gate doesn't already function this way?

That would be a massive oversight which I wouldn't expect from the guys at Kemper.

Agreed. But then again, if it worked on the input and you had any sort of external reverb/delay effects in the loop, it would cut off the trails. So I guess it works exactly where you put it, which is kind of a shame. It would be nice to have the option to select whether it's side chained or not. Even my old Boss GT-10 could do that...

• Agreed. But then again, if it worked on the input and you had any sort of external reverb/delay effects in the loop, it would cut off the trails. So I guess it works exactly where you put it, which is kind of a shame. It would be nice to have the option to select whether it's side chained or not. Even my old Boss GT-10 could do that...

Not necessarily. Once in the digital domain the algorithms can do all sorts of things which wouldn’t work in the analogue world. It is conceivable that there is a system logic that only applies gating to certain parts pf the signal path but ignores others. I don’t know whether that’s the case or not but it can’t be ruled out as a possibility.

It would need someone from Kemper to confirm how it works to be sure. Burkhard ?

• They do but maybe not all? But if they do and will implement something like this in the future, they won't tell us that until much later or when the fw ir released.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau