Kemper DI

• I just received my Kemper DI so I can start making direct profiles of my amplifier collection.

First, I opted for the free shipping from Kemper USA. This is how the unit arrived:

[Blocked Image: https://i.imgur.com/bW4oQn4.jpg]

It was just rattling around inside this oversized box with no packing materials of any type and no sealing of the box. It just had the tab folded in. It is not exactly a delicate unit and I did opt for the free shipping but, I would expect at least an attempt to show pride in one's job and/or care for their products and customers .

Second, can anyone offer any tips and hints in addition to the manual that can help me get the best possible direct profiles? Thanks!

• Nice, looks like it has nice anti-water protection from the bottom and also, I have to say that angle of the DI box against the cardboard box is very photogenic :P

Also, big props to the guy who designed the enclosure, somehow I never realized looking at this on the web, but it totally looks like a mini Profiler!

• Have you tried the Kemper DI yet? Maybe just make a few and report the quality of profiles you’re getting. I’m curious about tips on getting good direct profiles as well. Mine seem to get an exaggerated mid hump around 700-800hz and that gets worse in the octave from 1.4k-1.6k. I have to use most stomps, mod and x slots just cleaning up the artifacts.

• Monday I will have time to start trying some profiles. I hope the DI survived the shipping. I will start with my Tweed Deluxe and AC10 SRT, They are both low watt amps that I can bear doing repeated blastings with.

• Mine came in the same packaging, but was held tightly to the cardboard by the plastic over-wrap.

There is a picture of the inside of the Kemper DI out there on the web, it's as solid-of-a-state as you can get inside there. Seriously, you could run over it with a car, and if the chassis survived, the internal components did too. Don't spend another second worrying about it, tomorrow it'll work just fine. Enjoy!

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• Mine came in the same packaging, but was held tightly to the cardboard by the plastic over-wrap.

There is a picture of the inside of the Kemper DI out there on the web, it's as solid-of-a-state as you can get inside there. Seriously, you could run over it with a car, and if the chassis survived, the internal components did too. Don't spend another second worrying about it, tomorrow it'll work just fine. Enjoy!

Yeah, I saw the pics too and it does look like a sturdy unit. The packing just looked like something you would expect from a Malaysian eBayer.

• Have you tried the Kemper DI yet? Maybe just make a few and report the quality of profiles you’re getting. I’m curious about tips on getting good direct profiles as well. Mine seem to get an exaggerated mid hump around 700-800hz and that gets worse in the octave from 1.4k-1.6k. I have to use most stomps, mod and x slots just cleaning up the artifacts.

It took forever to get levels set so that the Kemper would accept the DI signal levels but, I was finally able to make some direct profiles of my RedPlate RP-40. A pushed clean tweed setting was closest to sounding like the original amp when I used the amplifier's line out. When I used the Kemper DI, the resulting profile was down in level 3dB and sounded a bit congested compared to the original and the line out versions. And yes, I compensated for the gain differences.

When I went into the overdriven tweed channel of the amp, the resulting direct profile did have that same mid bump you mention. It appears to be centered right about where the Middle tone control is centered. I had to dial the Middle back and dial up the Definition to clean up the profile. It was also more compressed than the original so, I dialed back the gain a bit and bumped up the Definition a hair more.

So far, I am confident I can take these profiles I made and make them sound good for my gigs but, making them sound exactly like the original amp is going to take some trial and error. Hopefully I can find more tips and tricks around here before I get to my larger amps.