Clean channel feels under volume

• Hi guys! Long time reader, 2nd time poster ?.

I’m just wondering if anybody else has had any volume issues with their clean channel compared to heavy rhythms etc.

In my band we’re using the memphis may fire tone pack feom STL, My lead and rhythm rig volumes are on about +2 for rehearsal room because I run a slightly smaller cab than the other guitarist. I find that when I switch to my clean patch it’s so incredibly underwhelming in the volume aspect I’ve had to turn it up to +6db to get any decent cut. I cant hear myself standing in front of my cab with drums and other guitars going at any less volume. I’m really worried when it comes to preparing the rig volumes for live use, that I’m going to have to pump the clean channel and its gonna clip when it hits the foh mixer and sound like shit through a pa. For reference in rehearsal room usually run master volume anywhere from -12to-8

• Turn up the clean sense.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Excellent thank you i will try that, For any of you that play in small-medium-large venues I'm pretty curious as to how much playing around with the specific rig volumes you have to do anyway? I was always under the impression the professional packs had already a nice volume balance out of the box

• Excellent thank you i will try that, For any of you that play in small-medium-large venues I'm pretty curious as to how much playing around with the specific rig volumes you have to do anyway? I was always under the impression the professional packs had already a nice volume balance out of the box

They do, but clean sense needs to set correctly either way.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• They do, but clean sense needs to set correctly either way.

awesome thanks, Is the clean sense a global input setting? Or does it change per each rig I switch in performance mode?. And what steps should I be taking, Start with clean rig at 0 rig volume and dial the clean sense up or down and then switch over to a rhythm or lead rig and compare volumes?

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Clean Sense (indeed, the whole Input section) is set per Rig, so if you find a good balance, I’d lock the Input section.

I’d recommend you watch all of the Kemper video tutorials if the manual is too much for you. :)

• Yeah I've watched all of them but a lot of things tend to fade away in my memory after a while haha, Good news is I've fixed the volume issue, Clean sense was rolled to some ridiculous minus number,

2 questions I have is the distortion sense has been rolled back to -7.5 for some reason on my clean channel ive checked all my other rigs and the clean/dist sense are all at 0 but in the video it says that the dist sense is a global setting is it only global if you lock it? Mine is not currently locked so does that mean my dist sense is still individually set only to my clean chan atm, Is it possible that it came preset at -7.5 from the pack i purchased or are the clean/dist senses something that can only be adjusted by the user.

And the other question I had is when I strum really hard the input light clips red for just a second. but it sounds good coming through a cab, is this going to be an issue when i go to foh for live use? The output LED does not seem to show any red clipping from memory

regards

Edited once, last by Jake91 ().

• Clean sense is often stored at a specific setting by some profilers. I noticed some Tone Junkie profiles for example were around -7 if I remember correctly. Funnily enough even that isn't nearly low enough for me =O I have been trying to level some profiles from the same pack and the totally clean ones need to be around -10 and have about 3db knocked of the rig volume to get them even close to quiet enough relative to the drive sounds but that's just my experience. To answer your question, if you don't lock the input settings then the clean sens value from the profile will override your own settings. This works well where you use multiple guitars and want to assign a rig specific clean sens to suit the guitar you use with it. However, if you lock the Input setting the clean sense saved with the rig will be ignored and your own setting will be preserved.

• Clean sense is often stored at a specific setting by some profilers. I noticed some Tone Junkie profiles for example were around -7 if I remember correctly. Funnily enough even that isn't nearly low enough for me =O I have been trying to level some profiles from the same pack and the totally clean ones need to be around -10 and have about 3db knocked of the rig volume to get them even close to quiet enough relative to the drive sounds but that's just my experience. To answer your question, if you don't lock the input settings then the clean sens value from the profile will override your own settings. This works well where you use multiple guitars and want to assign a rig specific clean sens to suit the guitar you use with it. However, if you lock the Input setting the clean sense saved with the rig will be ignored and your own setting will be preserved.

Awesome thank you, I only use one guitar so it's really quite convenient.

What method did you use for balancing your volumes across your rigs for live use?

I used to bump all my presets rig volume around a +1.5db or so. Except for some cleans. Most or all heavyheavy rhythm or leads too because i thought it added a colorful value to my tone but these days i leave the rig volume alone unless it's a performance slot. Then, if I've already decided what profiles I'm gonna use for that slot, I'll give it a bump(0.5-1.9), whether it's clean or heavy and save that.

• To be honest, I'm still trying to get my sounds to sit nicely at a well balanced level. Basically I just tweak the Rig Volume in the performance slot as Elvis does during rehearsals. Setting them at home on my studio monitors gets me in the very rough ball park but the only way I can find to get it right is to do it through the PA in rehearsal with the rest of the band playing. There is more to it than just volume. Some sounds seem to get lost while others dominate when the band are playing even though they sound OK in isolation. It's clearly a combination of both level and frequency content which depends not only on my sounds ut what is going on around them.

For me the biggest issue is still getting most of the clean sounds quiet enough so I tend to reduce the level of clean rather than boost the level of dirty.