Some noodling as I get the new camera set up

• Well, I finally got a camera that does what I want it to. Picked up a Zoom Q4 (I really wanted the Q8 but I couldn't pass up the deal). All I did was run the audio from the headphone jack of my Firestudio into the mic in of the camera so that it gets the same audio that the console sees. This is literally the very first thing I plugged in and recorded, improvised a bit just to get a feel for how the tones translated. I'll post some more as I polish the process and detail whatever changes I make in the event it starts to sound good :D

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Just a guy who plays a little bit of guitar.

• Yeah I know, the lighting is next on the list. Right now I'm making tiny adjustments to get the audio in the video as close to the audio that comes out of the monitors as possible. What you're hearing is 100% direct from the console with the KPA going direct.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Sounds good, always fun to fool around with new things. There are a gazillion different workflows you can use for audio / video, and this one certainly gets the job done.

When I'm doing music and video I use the camera for video only and either use the clapper or clap my hands once as a marker. I keep all audio in Cubase (48k) and don't put any through the camera as its hardware is optimized for best possible visuals rather than best possible audio. This allows me to do my mixing / tweaking / sweetening, etc. in Cubase to get the audio quality I want.

When I'm ready to edit (using Resolve), I drop in the video and the audio track rendered from Cubase and just line them up with the clap / marker. That gives me the best of both worlds, with each piece of gear doing what it does best.

That said, when I was doing the Talking Head Games web series it was lots of green screen and typically a one or two mic affair, so we tracked the dialogue into the camera. I'd purchased a Sony AX2000 in large part because it supported two XLR mic inputs. For dialogue it did a fine job, but I still tracked all music and other audio through my normal audio rig and brought those into the project when editing.

I love playing around with multimedia stuff. Too much fun. :)

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• Thanks. Recording was easy enough, really. What I ultimately wanted was a simple solution to get console audio to the feed for live streaming. Kind of a PITA with a Mac, so this just made all of my video efforts easier and one step less work :)