I Need MAC Interface Suggestions

• Hi Guys,

Looking for a good/excellent quality interface for hooking up my Kemper to my MAC, Currently using Garage Band for software. I'll be using headphones and also have a pair of HS5's.

What are you guys using out there?

Thanks in advance!

J

• Lots of things to consider.

How much $ do you want to spend?

Will you connect analog or digital from KPA to MAC?

What interface to the MAC? USB, Thunderbolt, etc?

How many channels do you need? Is it just you recording at home one instrument at a time, or do you need to record multiple sources/band at the same time?

Lots of options and ranges for each of the questions above.

But will help you narrow down your choices.

I'm current Using the Focusrite Clarrett 8P via Thunderbolt

I'm sure you'll get a wide range of responses.

Sean

• Guys,

Many thanks for this info!

I would say the quality and performance of the interface is most important so not price sensitive. Not sure the upsides or downsides of digital vs analog (I'll need your advise on that). My Mac has Thunderbolt so let's use that. Just using one instrument, my guitar.

So, I'm pretty basic here, I just want to be able to run backing tracks off websites or maybe load them into Garage Band and play my guitar along with it, then be able to record it all via Garage Band. Then maybe develop my own backing tracks using Garage Band and play my guitar along with it. I also have the Kemper peddle board but not sure if that really means anything per this conversation.

J

• I have a PreSonus Audiobox USB I'm not doing anything with that I'd sell for $50. It's great for recording just a guitar and works well with the KPA. Very simple and boldly reliable. I'm also a Mac user and my new interface uses thunderbolt. Didn't notice a difference.

Just a guy who plays a little bit of guitar.

• Hey thanks!

I've been poking around at the Focusrite Scarlett, Clarett and the Saffire Pro 40. All these come in a rack mount and have Thunderbolt connection which is what I will be needing so I can keep everything together for convenience .

• Very happy happy with the Clarett 4 pre via thunderbolt, hits a nice sweet spot of price and performance.

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• Hey, IwannaRock2

I'm using Komplete Audio 6. It has 4 analog and 2 digital (spdif) inputs and outputs, phantom power and direct monitoring. Also it doesn't need drivers for MAC, but you need to use standard mac os app (Audio MIDI Setup) to switch spdif on/off and other stuff. I tried it with GarageBand, Logic X, Studio One and Reaper – works great. It looks like a good starter interface, with some future proof functionality. Also you may look at Scarlet 6i6, it has same capabilities as Komplete. The only thing is that they are both USB interfaces (not Thunderbolt, as you want) but I it still should be enough for your needs.

• Thanks guys! I ended up with a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 rack mount. Now I get to rummage thru hours of YouTube video's on how to set it up and use the software ;(

Quick question though, do I still keep my hs5 monitors plugged into the Kemper or do they need to be plugged into the Focusrite now ?

• Monitors should be connected to interface. But when you want just to play guitar through monitors (without recording), you can use direct monitoring on Saffire, this will send input signal from Kemper directly to your monitors and you don't need DAW to hear Kemper signal.

• Thanks ThrashFlesh,

Only issue I notices is that on the back of the Saffire Pro 40, all the inputs are just 1/4 jacks, no XLR jacks? Seems all the output jacks on the back are both XLR and 1/4 jacks. I know my HS5's have both XLR and 1/4 TRS jacks but I thought isn't it better to use an XLR connection which is how I have them into the Kemper.

Saffire Pro 40.pdf

• IwannaRock2, it's not about jacks, it's about type of signal that they carry.

There's two types of signal you should know about (in current context): balanced and unbalanced.

Cable for unbalanced signal has two wires: hot and ground. Connectors for unbalanced signal cane be 1/4" mono jack and RCA.

Cable for balanced signal has three wires: hot, cold (basically inverted hot) and ground. Connectors for balanced signal can be XLR and 1/4" stereo jack (also called TRS – tip, ring, sleeve).

The main difference from user perspective is that balanced signal can "travel" further distance and pickup less noice than unbalanced.

Studio hardware usually can accept both balanced and unbalanced signals through 1/4" input – it would figure out type of signal by type of jack (mono/stereo). And there's description for your outputs (page 7):

#2. 8 TRS jack sockets for balanced outputs 3-10. – will accept either balanced or unbalanced jacks.

#3. TRS jack sockets for balanced outputs main monitor mix. – will accept either balanced or unbalanced jacks.

With that said, you can use 1/4" stereo to 1/4" stereo cable or you can use XLR to 1/4" stereo jack cable. But, 1/4" mono cable should also work.