Kemper power rack and BBE Sonic Maximizer

• Anyone use the Sonic Maximizer w the powered head?

Is it ok to go out from the head into the Sonic Maximizer directly,..then to the speakers?

BBE states to NOT plug a power amp directly into the BBE,...so ,..Im confused.

If it was a regular amp head,.wouldnt I plug the output of the head into the Sonic maximizer,..then to the cab?

Any help would be appreciated

• Nope. It's made to use a line level signal (effects loop is an option).

And TBH, most folks who have used the Maximizer have eventually retired it with no intent of looking back. It's a fancy "loudness" button, like on car stereos. It does what Line 6 is really good at.....sounding great at bedroom volume but losing all of its balls as it gets turned up. They were all the rage in the early 90s (and yep, you bet your behind I had one :D ).

I don't mean to disparage the device, if it gets you the sound you want then what difference does it make anyway? lol.

Just a guy who plays a little bit of guitar.

• It's a line-level processing device, which is why you'll fry the input/s if you plug your head directly into it.

The unit was designed to process already-recorded signals or anything one cares to pass through it at line level. Think of it as being no different from a compressor, reverb or delay rack level-requirement-wise.

EDIT:

Quick-draw McJef beat me to it, but hopefully there's something in this for you.

• I found running a Sonic Maximizer after the power amp gave it the best sound... and smell.

Kidding. Don't do that. I had one as well, and I think I used it twice in the studio before I pulled it from the rack. I got bored of it very quickly myself. If you get it to sound good go for it.

You will want to use it in the loop though. if you put it between amp and speaker you will fry it.

KPA Unpowered Rack, Kemper Remote, Headrush FRFR108s, BC Rich Mockingbird(s), and a nasty attitude.

• Very subjective piece of gear. To some it's 'snake oil', to other folks, it adds a 'certain something'. Personally, I have one and 'like' it!

The OP asked how to connect it , not a critique of its merits....

• The very first sentence I typed in my reply covered what he asked for in stark simplicity. The follow up was superfluous and voluntary. Much like every sentence in yours.

It's ok to let conversations have a little personality without riding in on a white horse, polishing your armor. ?

• Lol,..Thanks for the responses guys.

I think I get the jist.

I'm not a "rack gear" guy, but ...nothing ventured....

I think the best answer I read in another forum, when asked "where to place the Maximizer",.. was....Ebay.

• Certainly give it a go. I distinctly recall the day I got mine. I was at guitar center picking up my 2nd Digitech 2101LE (a legend in its own) and the salesperson said "have you heard the BBE Maximizer on this? it sounds amazing". No, I had not, but the instant the dude clicked the "active" button I was blown away and bought it on the spot. There was a certain sizzle to the sound that I loved (me and everyone else back then). But as dramatic as the effect was it didn't translate well in the real world and we all learned that ultimately it did the opposite of what we wanted and it thinned out the sound. I guess you could say it sounded great but there was no way to actually capture that sound on tape, no matter mic nor placement nor black magic could get it to translate properly. A fun piece for sure though.

• Redline, if you sell it, you could always buy the software version, which would allow you to place it anywhere you like, including on mix stems, bass, vocals and so on.

The BBE Stomp Board collection includes Sonic Stomp, a model of the stomp-box version of the BBE Sonic Maximizer. You get 8 guitar-effect pedals inside Stomp Board (a virtual board) and you can also use them as individual plugins.

Check it out here:

BBE Sound Stomp Board | AudioDeluxe