Volume expression pedal calibrates fine, but for rig it's all over the place

• I'm adding an expression pedal for my volume, and it calibrates fine in the system menu.

But when I get to the Rig menu, it jumps all over the place as I rock the pedal and won't adjust the volume.

I've tried 2 different pedals (M-Audio EX-P and a home built one using a 20kB pot).

Any ideas why the pedal will track properly in the system menu but not in the rig menu?

• Thanks, I appreciate the feedback, but that doesn't seem to be it.

Like I said, it tracks correctly in the system menu when I calibrate it.

But in the rig menu, it's all over... it will sometimes track ok from toe down to heel down, but then at the end it will jump back up like I adjusted to pedal to toe down. Then it keeps bouncing all over in between.

• Are perhaps multiple PEDAL sockets configured as Volume Pedal simultaneously?

Well, there's only 2 sockets on the Kemper.... one is set for morphing and the other for volume.

Besides, according to the manual, you can't have more than one volume pedal assigned.

And according to the manual, the volume pedal is independent of all other volume controls.

As I said, the pedal calibrates perfectly in the system menu..... doesn't jump around or anything.

It's only in the Rig menu and in performance mode where it's doing that.

• How do you have the Volume pedal configured in each Rig?

From the Manual:

its location in the signal flow (e.g. “Input”) and its consequent impact on amplifier gain or delay spillover, can be customized by Rig.

Off

The Volume Pedal has no effect.

Input

Directly before the A module Pre Stack Right after the D module. At this position, you control the gain of the amplifier.

Post Stack

Right before the X module. At this position, you control the overall volume of the sound, but delay and reverb tails will still decay naturally, when you swell down the pedal.

Output

Right after the REV module. At this position, you control the overall volume of the sound, including reverb and delay tails that can instantly be attenuated.

It’s also possible to limit its minimum range by Rig, or even transform it into a booster pedal in specific Rigs.

• You could easily assign Volume Pedal to both PEDAL sockets. And if you should own a Remote there could be even more sockets. Check it out. It doesn't really make sense, but it could cause confusion.

You have not responded to my other hint: The range pot of your M-Audio expression pedal.

• I had it set for Output, and I was trying to configure it as a booster... basically, I wanted it to gradually increase the volume about 6db as I went toe down to emphasize an effect.

@Burkhard

Like I said, socket 1 is set to morphing and socket 2 was set for output volume as a booster.

I don't have a Kemper Remote, so that shouldn't be it.

Before I built a different expression pedal out of a volume pedal, I was using the M-Audio for my morphing function and it worked fine.

I gave up on using the M-Audio in the Output position as a booster, and now have it set for input and it works fine there (but, of course I can't use it as a booster as I wanted).

I didn't mess with the range pot on the M-Audio, but I don't get the feeling that was it.

The thing that has me most confused is that the calibrated fine in the system menu.... no jumping around, just smooth tracking as you'd expect.

It was only in the rig menu and during performance mode that it was all over.

One thing I should note...

I do have the morphing configured to vary the Output level a bit (not a huge amount).

But my understanding is that the volume control as assigned by the expression pedal is independent of all other volume controls, and the effect is cumulative. So it shouldn't cause it to affect the actual tracking of the expression pedal, which again, tracks perfect in the system menu. And besides, it wasn't like I was adjusting the morphing pedal and the volume pedals at the same time anyway.

• I have no clear picture, what you are exactly doing, because some of your wording seems inaccurate and therefor leaving room for interpretation.

It is not possible to morph any "output volume" like Main Output Volume or Monitor Output Volume. All output volumes and the whole Output Section are global and cannot be morphed. You can only morph volumes within the Rig: Rig Volume, Amp Volume, other volumes inside the effects. All volumes are cumulative. So, are you morphing Rig Volume? Each Rig and each Slot are loaded with the Base Sound regardless of where the Morph Pedal stands.

When you use the term "using the M-Audio in the Output position as a booster" are you really doing this? Meaning: Is the Volume Pedal Range set >0 in Rig Settings? Only then it's really a booster. But this is a Rig specific setting. Have you set Pedal Range consistently across your Rigs/Slots or locked Volume Pedal? Otherwise you might experience volume jumps. The Volume Pedal bar should not jump because of various Pedal Range settings.

I'm also not sure, what "didn't mess with the range pot means". Does it mean you never changed its position? Or have you verified, that it is in maximum range position? If you limit the range of the pot too much, the limited variance of electrical resistance might cause jumps. The resolution is just not sufficient.

I cannot reproduce any scenario where the bar representing the level of Volume Pedal behaves differently on page Volume Pedal Settings in Rig Settings compared to System Settings pages Pedal 1 or 2. The parameter reflected by that bar is unique. Before we all spend any further time on this, please try with another industry standard expression pedal (no self-built pedal and no range pot) and another TRS cable.

• Whenyou converted the volume pedal into an expression pedal did you change the pot? Volume pedals use a Log pot but Exp use linear. A log pot is not suited to expression pedals as most of the change happens over a tiny part of the pedal’s travel.

Yeah, using a 20k (B20k) Linear pot.

• "You can only morph volumes within the Rig: Rig Volume, Amp Volume, other volumes inside the effects. "

Sorry, as I said, I was referring to the volume control on the lower right below the Master Volume, whatever it is you call it.

"Meaning: Is the Volume Pedal Range set >0 in Rig Settings? "

Yes, that's what I was trying to do with it.

"Have you set Pedal Range consistently across your Rigs/Slots or locked Volume Pedal? "

I never got that far with it because I couldn't get it to work for even a single Rig/slot.

"Or have you verified, that it is in maximum range position?"

Yes, it is in the maximum range position, works perfectly fine as a morphing pedal, works perfectly fine as a volume pedal if it's set to control input volume, tracks perfectly fine in the system menu if set a post effects volume pedal, does NOT track properly in the Rig configuration menu if set a post effects volume pedal...

"Before we all spend any further time on this, please try with another industry standard expression pedal (no self-built pedal and no range pot) and another TRS cable."

I don't have one available.