1.07 Beta disables S/PDIF?

• No output from S/PDIF - Problem solved

As I replied back to Burkhard from KPA support (thanks a lot, mate!):
    "The suggestion to "Push and hold two buttons - AMPLIFIER and CABINET - while you switch on the device and directly move the chickenhead knob into PROFILER position" etc, worked and I now have the s/pdif working just fine!
    One thing that you may need to know, for other users, is that since everything was initialized I did a restore from my latest backup (yesterday before I upgraded to 1.07) and I lost s/pdif output again. So I did the above process again and then I re-loaded the rigs and cabs (not by a previous backup, but by the standerd process by putting them in the Shared folder)"

I also got reply from KPA support right away and got the same instruction, which solved my issue too.

One thing to note is that this reset seems to wipe ONLY the MIDI assignment; all other rigs/amps/cabs etc remains intact.

Thanks for the prompt support!

• I'm getting the Master locked, though sound is coming trhough. The issue I'm suffering since the update is crackle on the SPDIF. The interface is slaved to the Kemper clock, but it's prety bad see here with a patch with everything disabled (no stomps, stack or effects) : http://www.peranders.com/general/kemper_crackle.aif

At first it's crackling then it phases out, seems to happen every 20 seconds or so, which is super annoying, in the previous firmware you got crackle once you changed a patch, but it went away after a couple of seconds, this one just keeps on coming and going as you play (in a regular fashion) :(

Would you mind contacting support about this? And let us know what they respond?
    A few others seem to also have crackles on their S/PDif out - maybe it's a FW bug.
    I myself have some crackles too every now and again, and sometimes I have nothing... so I cannot say what the culprit is.

Somehow, I cannot open your soundfile...

• So Im assuming a fix is in the work other than this temp fix? I use spdif all the time in the studio so I cant upgrade to 1.07.

I wouldn't think otherwise.

See also the full response from Support, confirming this, below:

Dear stemast,
    yes, thanks, we have found the root cause, why the SPDIF-Out needs a reset. We'll fix this in our next public beta. The suggestion of a backup/restore didn't make sense, sorry, because - in deed - the restore loads also the faulty global settings. We'll seperate the reset of MIdi-Assigments from the 'normal' reset.

• As for the s/pdif crackles issue, here's the dialogue with Support:

Excellent news, Burkhard.
    Any idea what is causing the crackles?
    Thank you very much for your help! Have a good day,
    Stelios

Kemper Amps Support <[email protected]> Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 9:50 AM
    Dear stemast,
    no, we are just analyzing the 'crackles'. Have a good one!

Kemper Amps Support <[email protected]> Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 10:14 AM
    Dear stemast,
    if you are experiencing the crackles as well, please validate and le tme know, if the clock setting of your soundcard is definetly in 'slave' mode. I've leraned, that crackles can happen , if this is not the case. And the KPA can only act as master.

I have anyway promised to check what settings I have set it to, when I get home later in the evening. (I am pretty sure I have the audio interface set to "Internal" clock, and I may need to change that and see if there's any improvement)

• If your interface is set to internal clock that is likely the problem. Internal is setting the interface to be the master. Since the Kemper must be the master (and you can have only one master clock) your interface should be set to slave or external clock.

• I have these pops & crackles as well... but irregularly. The strange thing is, it can occur and be very evident. And then, other times, it works with no crackles or pops. Could this be a soundcard issue?

My soundcard is set as slave (external).

FWIW, I contacted support as well about this...

• I still find it odd for those of us that have high dollar converters and clocks setups having to clock to a guitar processor. Being able to slave the spdif would be more ideal for in†egration in studios.

• I have these pops & crackles as well... but irregularly. The strange thing is, it can occur and be very evident. And then, other times, it works with no crackles or pops. Could this be a soundcard issue?

My soundcard is set as slave (external).

FWIW, I contacted support as well about this...

Ok, first things first.
    I had mine set to "internal". I changed the settings to KPA as "master" and the issue is gone.
    I confirmed the same, by playing several different rigs, changing the settings.

Chris,
    My story is that I bought a new audio interface last Friday, not because of the KPA of course, but I had serious problems with the s/pdif in general and with any device I tried to connect this way.
    So, since last week I enjoy playing without issues (except the firmware update, which is easily resolved with the workaround) and fooling around with all inputs/outputs (analogue and digital), effect loop e.t.c.

What I would suggest is, before you proceed to any cost involving solution, to maybe try a friend's interface or see if you could borrow one for a couple of days, do your own tests and then make a decision.

• Just the firmware update, Schneidas. Nothing different, no rigs, no changed settings, e.t.c

I have got the same Problem - but I didn't try the old update since I got the KPA today. My Monitor-Output doesn't work too. (Though I've tried the common tricks with a reboot while pressing the system-button etc.)
    Besides, the perform-mode is out of service. Why does this beta release cuts off a whole bunch of important features?
    Tomorrow I will see, what I can do. Maybe I did something wrong... or more probably... didn't do the right thing yet. But if the main-features don't work within 25 days (or if I can not be sure, that those issues are not caused by the hardware and will be fixed soon) I'll have to send the amp back.
    I'd like to keep it, because it sounds really good! I don't expect this new technology to be perfect right from the beginning. But the user should at least be able to use it... ;)

EDIT:
    YES!! The monitor-output is fixed! The amp and cabinet-buttons were a good combination that I did not tried before! 8o I think, the rest will come bit by bit... I'll keep this cool amp! :)

Edited once, last by Slowhand ().

• Hi, I determined excatly the same failure. Only updating the new firmware 1.07 and changing nothing else. The output doesn´t work at all. Has somebody a solution for this problem? Hopefully it will be solved with the next firmware update. In general, do I have to install the firmware updates stepwise or it is able to install a new firmware and ignore a firmware update, before? For example: Installing 1.06 --> Ignore 1.07 --> and installing the next one. Kind regards Slidetune

• Hi, I determined excatly the same failure. Only updating the new firmware 1.07 and changing nothing else. The output doesn´t work at all. Has somebody a solution for this problem? Hopefully it will be solved with the next firmware update. In general, do I have to install the firmware updates stepwise or it is able to install a new firmware and ignore a firmware update, before? For example: Installing 1.06 --> Ignore 1.07 --> and installing the next one. Kind regards Slidetune

I believe you have double posted the same in another post and Schneidas have provided you the link that includes the solution to the s/pdif issue (http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.p…D=4374&pageNo=1 )

A search (top of the forum page) in the forum topics would have given you the answer already. ;)

• I'm not sure to understand , master volume adjusting will not be available anymore via spdif ???

Correct, in the previous FW versions had to be maxed anyway in order to get a decent signal. Adjustments need to be done from DAW

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• I don't understand how it's better like this, for me it's the opposite !! ?(

In the 1.06 i was adjusting it very often (sometimes need to down it), so doing this in the daw it's very annoying...

Anyone are not happy with this ???

• I don't understand how it's better like this, for me it's the opposite !! ?(
    In the 1.06 i was adjusting it very often (sometimes need to down it), so doing this in the daw it's very annoying...

Anyone are not happy with this ???

I, for example, am always checking and adjusting volume levels on the DAW anyway, before recording.
    I wouldn't mind having it on the KPA, but annoyed? No, not at all.