Volume pedal for monitor out...

• Quick question, I run my monitor out into the effect return of my Bugera V22. I also have a spare little donner volume pedal. Instead of tweaking the monitor out volume in the kemper, is there any issue with just popping the volume pedal inline and using that? Any impedance or load issues?

Thanks.

• Looks like the Donner pedal is powered, and therefore buffers the signal coming in anyway. Can’t find specs for what impedance it is, but if it’s post it’s own buffer, it’ll be low impedance e.g. 25K - 50K, or should be.

Impedance matching isn’t critical for low impedance audio, which a line output will be. It’s far more critical when deciding what pedal to put after your guitar. A 250K volume pedal is ideal for guitar pickups, as it doesn’t load them down, which restricts high frequencies - voltage transfer (where the audio signal data is) is maximised, rather than power transfer.

However, if you put a 10K, 25K or 50K passive volume pedal after guitar pickups without buffering, you’ll definitely screw up your tone, losing highs in particular, and the volume taper will be all wrong. After a line output, I’m sure it will be fine. Try it and see/hear!

One question though, is this really just one more point of failure in your live rig, right where you don’t want it..? Depends on how useful you think it will be, and whether you’re using it live or not I suppose.

Ed / Audio Systems Engineer / Kemper Stage + Fender fan

• My Google powers were exhausted yesterday, clearly - apologies.

Did you notice any issues with the taper? It’s not going to make much difference in terms of voltage or current draw through the output stage. The reason impedance is so tonally effective at the input stage is the low impedance, passive pickups cannot simply draw upon more current when loaded, whereas a buffered/amplified signal can do precisely that. There is far less tonal effect from loading a line output to this degree, if any. The main thing that will be affected is the volume taper of the pot.

Ed / Audio Systems Engineer / Kemper Stage + Fender fan

• Just to make you aware, that Monitor Output Volume can be assigned to an expression pedal connected to the PROFILER or PROFILER Remote.

Hi Burkhard, yes and I'll likely do that, I just had an extra small volume pedal laying around that I keep near my amp so I figured I'd just try using that and freeing up an expression pedal input.