Let's talk about Rig files and naming/organization.

• First some questions:

1. How many rig files do you routinely keep stored in your KPA?

2. What % of them do you use on a regular basis?

3. What % of them would you classify as "specialty" rigs? (heavily effects laden, tailored to a particular player, etc.)

4. What's your current method of naming/organization of files?

1. 62 in the breadbox. (many hundreds more on hard drive)

2. A lot actually. (70% during the course of a week?) I mainly just jam and will randomly pick rigs without much forethought at all.

3. Right now, 5 FX rigs and 5-6 signature rigs (got one that nails Gilmour's clean DSOTM univibe tones - another does Metheny's G-300 synth sounds pretty well)

4. What day of the week is it???

I started numbering rigs in groups of 5 for the sake of the remote. Scrapped that. Tried a couple of other ways before settling on this: XX-File name. XX being a basic identifier, e.g.;

AA - American Vintage

AM - American Modern

BA - British Vintage

BM - British Modern

DB - Dumble (huge fan and I collect clones)

HB - Hybrid (swiss army knife)

MT - Modern Metal

SG - Signature

XF - Special FX

I make sure the file name easily identifies the rig in some manner. In some cases it's as simple as using the amp brand. Not as easy with Marhsall, Fender, and Vox! I have a killer rig of a small 20 watt Marshall combo whose only claim to fame is that it was once owned by Frampton. Voila'!

BA-FRAMPTON

Would love to hear how others tackle this issue, especially those with a LOT of files stored.

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams

• Seeing as I use RM for storage and navigation, I don't bother to rename Rigs.

Instead, I figure out what the amps really are and place their names in the Amp Comment field, which I activate as a column. If the vendor has bothered to specify channels in the metadata, I activate that column too.

This way I can search and / or sort according to real amp names and channels. Only took me 3 1/2 years to figure out that for me at least, it's way more efficient than Rig-renaming, not least because if updates are provided later on, it's easy to tell what's being replaced.

• I've been focusing on some Friedman profiles lately.

I've started tailoring them for 3 different guitars.

So, I have the same/similar profiles stored and named in 3 different performances.

Performance 1 - PRS 594 Soapbar

Performance 2 - PRS Silver Sky

Performance 3 - PRS P22

• Dave's post reminded me that if I make meaningful edits to a Rig, I save it with a prefix indicating which guitar I used. I leave the original as-is 'though, for the reason I explained earlier.

Everything I said in post #2 applies to unedited originals. I find the cryptic Rig names and tags, the apparent M.O. for many vendors, to be a serious PITA; the retagging I described earlier just brings them into the real world for me.

• I rotate between a number of guitars so I'm trying to avoid factoring that into the equation. They are all pretty balanced via PU height adjustments and then I have a parametric EQ in front of the KPA in case the resonant frequency of a particular guitar is giving me a problem. A simple -2/-3dB scoop with a tight Q works every time.

Here's a screen shot of my current setup FTR.

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams

• after 4 months with the Kemper i'm still in the exploratory stage, i have way too many profiles multiplied by too many guitars to check out before i start making decisions

i also kinda gave up on trying to find a workflow for naming profiles when i heard about the new upcoming editor with preset management, so i'm waiting for that. as it stands when i find a profile i like and mod it i just hit save as and change the first character of the profile.

since there isn't a way to organize the presets into groups for browsing on the hardware easily i often delete everything in the profiler and drag some presets i wanna play with to it in the rig manager which makes it easier to use the browser to find stuff.

i had big plans for building complicated custom rigs before i got the K but everytime i switch it on it just sucks me in and i'm playing instead of fiddling around with controls and routing .... i might get back to proper organizing/naming when there is a better workflow for it ... or just keep on playin like now :)

-------------------------------------------------------

free you mind and your ass will follow …

Edited once, last by stickman ().

• i had big plans for building complicated custom rigs before i got the K but every time i switch it on it just sucks me in and i'm playing instead of fiddling around with controls and routing ....

This is exactly where I'm at now after a couple of months of messing around with my 'big plan' :rolleyes: This past week all I've been doing is landing on a random preset and just PLAYING. I must have logged at least a few hours of riffing yesterday and I think I did about 95% of it on one rig - Bitt's Bogner Duende.

• i had big plans for building complicated custom rigs before i got the K but everytime i switch it on it just sucks me in and i'm playing instead of fiddling around with controls and routing ....

Same "problem" here, mate.

This situation, the opposite of what one finds one's self in when using many other modellers, is IMHO the ultimate, fantastic endorsement of what the Kemper brings to the table.

• I rename everything according to something that means something to me. The name of an artist or a tune that the sound evokes and just put a prefix for what guitar I tweaked the sound with so I have stuff like:

"CCC Soulero brighter" - denoting that I tweaked it for the strat I have with 3 Charlie Christian pickups, that it reminds me of Kenny Burrell's Tweed Deluxe on the edge of break up on that early 60s Blue Note recording. "Brighter" refers to the fact that I have another tweaked profile saved with a darker EQ.

or

HUM Carlton Vibroverb - denoting humbuckers, Larry Carlton's clean sound on the Sleepwalk album, and the amp which be different from another profile like "Carlton's Tweed Grit". I also use "Clean", "Hot Clean", "Grit", "Brown", "High Gain" etc as I might have multiple tweaks of an amp saved with different amounts of gain.

The prefix is handy because is gathers all the profiles for specific guitars together in the same place. A standard strat is my default and so gets no prefix.

In the Rig Manager, I sort my saved profiles into files built up more around amp names like "Blackface Bassman" or "Tweed Deluxe" or "Dumble-esque", although I do have some file which denote sounds also. So I have files like "Marshall Lo" "Marshall Mid Gain" and "Marshall Hi" but also files named "Gnarly" and "Old Tyme". :)

If you call up a profile in RM you can always see all the details of what went into the profile, amp, cab, mike etc., so I don't feel I need to record it in the name. You can often see the original amp on the screen of the Kemper too, like "1950 SUPER TWEED" or whatever, so there is no trouble retracing your steps and finding the original amp profile it came from.

I focus more on the "outcome" of the sound and an image it brings to my mind rather than the "parts" that put it together for naming the rigs I save.

So "CCC Sultans Darker" is better for me than preserving the oblique name the profiler gave a profile like "Fan Show Girl" or always using the amp in the title (although I often do). Rigs are collection of sound snapshops rather than being "just the amp" or even being "the amp in its entirety" as you might have 4 profiles of that amp with different gain stages and EQ settings profiled. I am going to name those individual sounds rather than just name the amp and it is easier for me also to have a file in Rig Manager marked "Pushed Clean" than to have to look through all files I have saved under "Twin", "Showman", "Deluxe", "Dumble", or "Vox" and look through all the various profiles I have saved in those files when what I need is just a great clean profile, so I will organize them that way as well.

• The constant I'm arriving at through trial and error (and based on the fact I don't gig, don't have a set list of songs I play, and play at pretty low volume levels) is less is more. I'm down to fewer than 30 rigs stored in the unit. Putting the 6 extreme metal ones aside, the rest sound good with all of my guitars (I have a PEQ in front to smooth out any guitar specific bumps) and respond really well to on-board volume and tone adjustments. Lastly, they all shine with some dirt added.

I'm also trying to eliminate tonal redundancy. Once you go past a half dozen vintage US or UK profiles you are going to start repeating things. Especially when you start adding modern era clones to the mix.

I made myself a rule to live by going forward - kind of stupid but I'm going to try and stick to it -it's KPA pruning time if I have to scroll within Rig Manager.

Less is more.