Toggle Remote Effect buttons I-IIII via MIDI?

• Is this possible? It seems like it must be but.... after some pretty serious googling, I haven’t found so much as a discussion. I am using the FCB1010 but it only allows on/off switching for 4 of the stomps. I’d like to add an additional MIDI controller that will simply toggle these buttons. At first I thought it might be possible using a pair of dual switches but I see now that there isn’t an option for it in the system menu. Only specific functions. I want to be able to assign them on a rig-to-rig basis. CC#, PC#, NRPN, SysEx.... whatever, I can do any of that.

Thanks,

-Aaron

• I was under the impression that you wanted to switch the status of the effects that are assigned to the effect switches. If you send the correct CC data over MIDI the PROFILER will react as if the switches were pressed.

If that was a misunderstanding please elaborate.

• I’m not talking about the X-MOD-DLY-REV effects block specifically. Rather, I’m talking about Remote Effect I-IIII which allow you combinations of effects as well as control of certain parameters which can be saved on a per-rig basis. Maybe re-read my initial post? I don’t know how else to explain it.

• I read your posts several times but I am not a native speaker and I guess what I do not understand is what you mean with "toggle".

Do you want to inverse the status of all of the effects that are assigned to the buttons with one click?

• I read your posts several times but I am not a native speaker and I guess what I do not understand is what you mean with "toggle".

Do you want to inverse the status of all of the effects that are assigned to the buttons with one click?

My apologies. Toggle means to turn on and off. That's all. Stomps A-D & Effects X-MOD-DLY-REV are no problem. Got those.

What I'm talking about are the presets that can be assigned by going into the rig settings and going to the page where you find...

[ASSIGN I] - [ASSIGN II] - [ASSIGN III] - [ASSIGN IIII]

I can program functions for them no problem. I just want to be able to access them. I don't have the Kemper Remote. My question is if there is a MIDI CC# or PC# for those. I haven't found anything in the manual or MIDI parameters guide. Unless I'm looking in the wrong place.

• From the manual :

Assignments without Remote

If your PROFILER Remote is not connected, or if your stage is so huge that your PROFILER is miles away from the Remote, you will not be able to reach both at the same time. In this case, enter the Remote Effect Buttons page inRig Settings, hold one of the four soft buttons, and press one or more effect module buttons to complete the assignment.

However, the page you are talking about is only a visual feed of what is assigned to the Remote's I-IIII buttons, you can't actually assign anything via midi here. Also, the assignments are exclusive to the Remote; you can't access the I-IIII buttons without it, as they are physical buttons, not virtual ones that can be switched by midi. That is my understanding of it, at least. Someone from Kemper might chime in and set me straight, but I don't think so.

• The FX switch assignments are part of the rig and cannot be stored or accessed as their own preset. If your MIDI pedal allows you to send multiple CCs from a single switch you could mimic the behaviour of the Remote switches.

• I think th OP want to send MIDI command to stimulate a fx push on action on the remote with the assigned fx's.

In other words Is there a MIDI message that will switch (change state) of the corresponding fx button on the remote?

Seems so. Probably to achieve the multiple fx on/off commands with a single static midi #CC/#PC..I'm not aware such exists either atm..

• The FX switch assignments are part of the rig and cannot be stored or accessed as their own preset. If you MIDI pedal allows you to send multiple CCs from a single switch you could mimic the behaviour of the Remote switches.

I can program multiple CC#s using an Arduino. What are the addresses of the switch assignments?

• Just to help out for clarity, hjscheffler is saying that the Remotes I-IIII switches are physical switches, that can't be switched externally by midi. You can mimic the behaviour by programming multiple Stomp/FX toggles at once using midi, however.

• Just to help out for clarity, hjscheffler is saying that the Remotes I-IIII switches are physical switches, that can't be switched externally by midi. You can mimic the behaviour by programming multiple Stomp/FX toggles at once using midi, however.

I must be explaining it wrong. Let me try a different way.

When someone using the Kemper Remote presses the [I] pedal, a command is sent through the CAT5 cable to the Kemper. At which time.... whatever FX have been programmed/assigned by the user are then toggled on or off depending on their current state.

The command being sent through the CAT5 is what I’m looking for. Probably a SysEx string. Using the MIDI learn function on my BandHelper App, I can see strings being sent by the Kemper indicating when the buttons are pressed and let go. Assign #1 seems to be sending -

MSB LSB Assign

22 00 I

22 01 II

22 02 III

22 03 IIII

However, this is in the context of an extended parameter change (06). Probably just letting the Kemper Remote know what is going on. I imagine it just needs a single parameter change if all I want to do is turn it on or off. I’m simply looking for the string that will tell the Kemper to execute whatever FX combinations, etc. are stored in whichever Assign I toggle. I have a hard time believing that everything in this unit is MIDI controllable except for this one particular function.

• I guess that's their way of getting you to buy a Kemper Remote.

Sounds reasonable.

I wonder if the data for those assignments is stored on the Remote or in the Kemper?

I'm guessing it either must be in the Remote, or they are deliberately not giving access to that function from any other device.

I think those are stored within a profile file actually as I have profiles with readily made assignments by someone else.

• Another possibility would be that the remote is sending a logic signal that triggers a relay in the Kemper. That seems illogical to me since everything else is MIDI controlled. I know that the assign buttons send one SysEx string when the button is pressed and when you let go it sends another one. So there is MIDI involved. Conversely, they give MIDI addresses for various other things in their documentation. I guess they have their reasons. I don’t envy any company that develops a product this groundbreaking. ?

• I ”think” one of the issues is that the Remote and the KPa use bidirectional midi to keep the Remote and the KpA in sync. Many midi controllers only send Midi so they wouldn’t be compatible with the current logic. However, for controllers that do handle bidirectional midi there must be a way for the Kemper team to enable this sort of feature. I suppose the issue is how hogh up their priority list it might be and whether they have a specific business reason for not doing so.

One of the reasons I stopped using the excellent RJM Mastermind PBC as my controller for the KPA was how complicated it was to get the KPA to work exactly as I wanted via midi. Then when I thought I had it a firmware update for either device would come out and something wouldn’t work anymore. I decided to bit the bullet and just buy the dedicated Remote. I am definitely glad I did because it is so well integrated that it is literally just plug and play.