Is it Kemper or is it just me? Seeking for ultimate help.

• Hello

Got my Kemper last week. It looks beautiful :) so better than on youtube and web images. However when the package came I thought: "wow, is it that small...?"

Anyway - I started this thread to get some help from you guys, more experienced with KPA. To give you snapshot what kind of player I am...have musical ear, don't have a band, don't have youtube channel with awesome songs, I'm just room player noodling around - hard to say but haven't recorded single song (maybe one) because.......... because of tone.

Tone.

I had numerous effects: LINE6 POD 2.0, Vox ToneLab, Rocktron G100, ZOOM g9.2tt, Eleven Rack, some USB interfaces (EMU, TC Electronic, Focusrite) paired with VST modelers (Guitar Rig, Amplitube, some freewares + cab loaders). But I always was missing the right tone.

Tone.

Cleans were sometimes acceptable (Eleven Rack), effects not so bad, hi-gain presets... uhhmmm... just hi-gain, crunch tones? the ugliest from all. Never ever, heard the difference between crunch amps in my case. Just small difference, but not what I see on youtube, where Kemper's AC30 crunch is lovely, Marshall Plexi crunched is the only tone I would live for, etc etc.

To help you judge anything, this is my small rig in small room:

[Blocked Image: http://i41.tinypic.com/35a2n9x.jpg

1) Ibanez PGM301 (basswood body, DiMarzio PAF Pro bridge position, DiMarzio FS-1 single coil, DiMarzio PAF Pro neck position) - with Paul Gilbert autograph on back side of body :)
    2) Bullet cable and Monster Rock Cable
    3) Kemper Profiling Amplifier
    4) Tannoy Reveal 501 active near field monitors
    5) Last chain of this rig is me :)

Is Kemper better than any previous devices that were sitting on my desk? YES. It is one huge step above. Like CD-Audio over tape. Like HD over VHS.

In Kemper (firmware upgraded to fresh 1.07):

- the gain knob reacts like gain should,
    - picking strings harder gives more bite,
    - turning volume pot on guitar cleans the dirt,
    - strumming on crunch profiles allows to hear every single string.

So what is wrong? Maybe the factory presets are not the best - "Mr Nice Guy" was the one that make me noodling for 20 minutes. Most of them sound like in a paper box, or covered by thick blanket. Please could you send me some nice profiles and instruction how to upload it? If the best profiles with best cabs will not make much difference, I think I return KPA, however never thought this could happen, when I heard youtube and soundcloud samples.

Thanks in advance!
    skoczy

• Have you downloaded both manuals from the Kemper website? Importing profiles into the Kemper is very easy via a USB stick (see page 36 of the Basic manual). Also search for tills cabs and download them into the same folder. The two manuals are pretty straight forward but I wish they had just given me one printed manual combining both sections.

• Don't just take the factory presets as they are. Editing the amp and cab settings, adding some light boost and eq, setting the input parameters right (very important) opens the windows on a she new world. Once you get that feel for what those things do for the sound then you're golden

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• There are several factors at work here.

Firstly you may just be used to modellers and their sounds. Most modelers really hype up treble and bass and suck the mids, this gives you a very exciting and punchy tone, but it's also nothing like a real amp (without some studio magic). If that's the situation for you then your best bet is to slap a Studio EQ effect in the X slot of your profiles, then use this to boost your treble and bass and diall down the mids.

The next issue may be that your unit may need to be properly set up, first task on that way is to do a System Reset, this is dont simply by holding down the System button while you boot up until it tells you it's doing a System start. This sometimes clears settings on the output channels that may be affecting things.

After that you should look at your input and output settings. Unless you have beautiful studio monitors then chances are you will need to adjust the output EQ to counterbalance the natural tone curve of your output system, if your speakers are naturally muddy then you will need to reduce the mids and bass a little and possibly push the treble very so slightly. I don't know anything about your Tannoy speakers, but if they emulate an amp cab then you may even want to disable cabinets on the Kemper and let them do their job.

On the input side you're going to want to adjust that noise gate, probably all the way to off (my personal preference), and then adjust your Input Clean and Distortino Sens settings until the amps start to feel "right" and react as they should.

Next you may want to adjust your amps to be brighter if your guitar has particularly dark pickups. You can do this with the usual amp EQ settings, particularly the Presence control, but also in the cabinet settings and in the Amp itself by manipulating the Clarity and Definition controls. This is an area that's well worth exploring to begin with. Once you have somethigns et up how you want then just store the preset.

Finally different Cabinets may prove better for some folk. Many people seem to get a sound much closer to what they were personally after by changing out the cabs using Tills cabinets, they're not for everyone, but they might suit you down to the ground, so they're definitely worth checking out at the very least.

Bear in mind that the Mr Nice Guy patch is a very strongly effected patch which to me sounds much more like an old school sim, this may just be more what you're after. In which case your first port of call is going to be compression and after that some modulation and delay/verb. The kinds of amps you'll want to work with are Mesa's as they have a very smooth gain structure, and you should tryt hem out with one of Till's Recto cabs. Working with the KPA is more like working with real amps, warts and all.

• Come on you have to do a little work and search the profile database for what you want. You can't just judge this device on the factory presets. In fact I just cleaned my device and I think I deleted all the factory presets. This device is so easy that if it sounds muffled you just turn up the treble and presence. I like the raw amp sound, but I do see where you could get a "mastered" sound as well. Download the bogner xtacy profile or the marshall golub or the 5150 profiles. Get the tills cabinets etc etc. Do some due diligence!

• I must admit I think the presets are extremely good, even without downloading any user presets there is so much tweak ability available it is hard not to make any of the factory presets sound great.

It is worth getting the cabs zip (do a search) and swapping cabs around, this can make a huge difference.

• Come on you have to do a little work and search the profile database for what you want. You can't just judge this device on the factory presets. In fact I just cleaned my device and I think I deleted all the factory presets. This device is so easy that if it sounds muffled you just turn up the treble and presence. I like the raw amp sound, but I do see where you could get a "mastered" sound as well. Download the bogner xtacy profile or the marshall golub or the 5150 profiles. Get the tills cabinets etc etc. Do some due diligence!

Interesting comments on this thread.. just one problem really ;( The presets on the Kemper are probably the best in the world against ANY of those emulator/simulator things mentioned and not mentioned too. They certainly dont sound like a real amp as some have said, but the Kemper sounds and feels like a real tube amp especialy with a completely direct comparison. I got a load of friends round and watched their jaws drop as the comparisons were made in my studio.

I never found one of those simulators/emulators with any real substance in the sound department where it matters.. the sounds are always disguised with more effects than you can handle as compensation to bad sounds. But those are emulators and this is Kemper. :)

I dont relate to the Kemper being a simulator/emulator... but rather a product using the DNA of real tube amps. Indeed the first and only one in the world right now.

BTW I respect your comments and its not a dig at anyone - everyone has a right to their views... but try that other emulator/simulator stuff and you might well sell it all (I did) - unless you like sounds with the kings new clothes cloaking the real tones of those things.
    King Kemper... perfect (well it will be once they complete the OS ;) )

Careful I'm watching you...

• I rather likes some of the presets for something's, helps to turn up the cab volume. But I didn't love the high gain sounds out of the box. That problem has been solved for me in user profiles.

I sent u a pm.

That being said, some might just be used to digital sounding moddellers and not yet appreciate some of the sounds in the Kemper yet. But certainly te stock sounds won't appeal to everyone. I will gladly send u stuff I think works great.

• Thanks everybody for your input.

Firstly you may just be used to modellers and their sounds

Just to clarify. I was never modeller guy, I just couldn't play tube amp since in my room I couldn't crank power tubes. I never liked sounds produced by any DSP. Boss, Zoom, etc. And the fact that one week after purchasing new gear I couldn't get nice tone, made my throw away my guitar onto the wall. From time to time I tried to get again to the gear and tried to tweak it. Nope. And because of that I am sure, I never improved my playing. I am just that of that kind. Sounds ugly, flat, lifeless - stop practicing, stop playing.

Few minutes ago I tried to get the sound of Blackface profile http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCAnRP8q3ro (starts 00:18) but I couldn't get that "straty" sound on my single coil. Maybe my guitar is crap? Maybe these pickups are.. I don't know. Maybe the wood (basswood) is of a kind that will never give that "fenderry" twang?

I don't know anything about your Tannoy speakers, but if they emulate an
    amp cab then you may even want to disable cabinets on the Kemper and
    let them do their job.

These are off course not ADAM or Genelec but they got nice reviews for small home studios. Maybe there are not FRFR? Anyone can help? Maybe this changes sound? When I omit cabinet it is all fizzy.

Summing up and repeating myself: I can hear that Kemper is breaking product in its domain. I am not trying to state that it is not that good, or that Axe-Fx is better (I never had one). Just trying to get as close as possible to what I hear from others Kempers...

• Getting a "straty" sound is a combination of three things.

1) The guitar (and it's pickups), unless you have the right pickups then nothing you can do will ever give you this sound, strat pickups are very honky which sound great clean, most superstrats have very flat and even pickups that sound dead on cleans because they're more tailored to be used with distorted or highly processed (chorus etc) tones, they need to be neutral. If you want strat tones you may need to get (or borrow) a strat.

2) The way you play, classic strat riffs make use of the strats natural advantages, it's tremelo, the scale length, the slides, use of vibrato and hammer/pulloffs. The way that you dig the pick into the strings to really bring out an almost slap like sound. Get a good hendrix riff and it's all about the timing and attitude. Having access to Dave Gilmours rig wont let you sound like him unless you can nail the way he plays.

3) The amp (and spring verb), the blackface is a great amp but it's damn loud. The Kemper is still a modeler so it will allow you to play quieter and get close results, but honestly you need to raise the volume on your speakers to approach the volumes you'd use on the real amp in order to get the right instrument/air/amp interplay, not to mention as your speakers get louder their frequency response is going to change. Next you need to add that touch of reverb, it's a fundamental part of the whole tone that a lot of people forget about. A final touch is a little vibro, it's up to you on this but it's a part of many classic strat tones.

It's a lot of work. I know for a fact that even with a real Fender Twin and Strat I have difficulty getting those classic tones because of my technique (and self preservation for my ears).

Oh and one final thing, bear in mind that what you hear while playing isn't necessarily what everyone else hears or what you'll hear if you were to record and play back, at lower volumes especially you'll hear so much room and guitar that it can overwhelm the amp sound. Record what you play and then put it up for everyone here to listen to (along with the rig/patch) and that way we can give you good constructive criticism that's not so much stabbing around in the dark.

Edited once, last by Per ().

• It is obviously just you... (I'm jiving, of course!) 8o It is never easy finding your way & sound with a new machine - in many ways, it's 'back to square one'.

All modelers known to man 8o

• Oh and one final thing, bear in mind that what you hear while playing isn't necessarily what everyone else hears or what you'll hear if you were to record and play back, at lower volumes especially you'll hear so much room and guitar that it can overwhelm the amp sound. Record what you play and then put it up for everyone here to listen to (along with the rig/patch) and that way we can give you good constructive criticism that's not so much stabbing around in the dark.

So true.
    While playing I often think my sound is trebly and shrill and usually overcompensate by turning down the treble. When playing back its usually way too dark and muffled.
    To get a good sound (to everyone else's ears) I have to play with a sound that to me is often quite thin.

• What guitar are you talking about, the Ibanez in your Avatar...or another single coil Strat that you have?

It's not the basswood, basswood is great wood for a Strat.

In the video it appears as though Alex is using a very "vintagy" Strat with vintage sounding pickups, unlike 95% of modern Fender Strats.
    Are you using the single coil in your Ibanez and aiming for these type of tones?

• Yes, I am talking about Ibanez PGM301 (in my avatar). HSH Dimarzio pickups. Full specs here . And yes, I was trying to get anything close in terms of sound and feel to the fender twang using single coil or 2nd and 4th position. Well I am trying to get anything thats close soundwise to any of published Kemper samples. Anyhow I have seen no samples recorded on Ibanez.

Well I just got home and will try to noodle on profile UWE JCM C 335 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QgcyHGVwGc and upload what was recorded soon.

• Yes, I am talking about Ibanez PGM301 (in my avatar). HSH Dimarzio pickups. Full specs here . And yes, I was trying to get anything close in terms of sound and feel to the fender twang using single coil or 2nd and 4th position. Well I am trying to get anything thats close soundwise to any of published Kemper samples. Anyhow I have seen no samples recorded on Ibanez.

Well I just got home and will try to noodle on profile UWE JCM C 335 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QgcyHGVwGc and upload what was recorded soon.

Sorry, but forget about single coil Fender Strat or Tele twang with your Ibanez. :)

When you mess around with the UWE JCM C 335 Profile, try changing the cab to one of the Till's 1960 Marshall cabs...006 is a good one to start with.