Can I watermark profiles I've created?

• I've just made some custom amp profiles that I'm looking to sell. Is there a way to watermark my kemper profiles before I post them online for purchase? Or create some other encoded, copyrightable info 'baked' into the amp profile (the 'kipr' file)?

For anyone here that already sells amp packs (Mbritt, tonejunkie, amp factory, etc), what preventative steps did you take to keep them from being shared between users?

Don't have a lot of experience with digital watermarking, digital footprints etc....seems straight ahead for pictures, but not for a proprietary format such as Kemper's 'kipr'

Thanks in advance!!

Chris

Chris Spencer

Kemper profiles of boutique and vintage amps will be available soon! Some of my gear:

Hardware/Software -

Adam monitoring, Pro Tools HDX 16x16, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, BAE 1073 mic pres, Cascade Fathead Ribbon, SM57, various pedals

Guitars -

Duesenberg 49er, Fano JM6, Gretsch Tennesse Rose (w/TV Jones Classics), Nash Tele, American Strat (w/Lollars)

• There is no watermarking and Kemper has said that it doesn’t believe in restricting profiles in that way, as the KPA was never intended as a platform to sell profiles. However, the author name is the stamp to indicate origin, and Kemper have said that anyone found to have attempted to change the author name on a profile will be banned from the forums and the Rig Exchange.

• thanks for the reply Sam! Anybody else got advice? Even if I can't watermark it, is there any other preventative steps I should take to dissuade sharing from users?

Chris Spencer

Kemper profiles of boutique and vintage amps will be available soon! Some of my gear:

Hardware/Software -

Adam monitoring, Pro Tools HDX 16x16, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, BAE 1073 mic pres, Cascade Fathead Ribbon, SM57, various pedals

Guitars -

Duesenberg 49er, Fano JM6, Gretsch Tennesse Rose (w/TV Jones Classics), Nash Tele, American Strat (w/Lollars)

• Thanks for the reply Paul!

Chris Spencer

Hardware/Software -

Guitars -

• Welcome, Chris.

Yeah, there's nothing you can do, mate. Include a ReadMe notice in every pack's folder that the contents is not intended for resale, as many other Profilers do. That's about all you can do, mate.

Profilers rely on the goodwill and upstanding character of the community to do the right thing, as it does.

• Thanks Monkey! Appreciate the feedback everyone! Kind of a let down...it's looking like I can't protect content I've created, but if that's the way it is, I guess that's the way it is. If there's an idea I'm not seeing or has yet to be suggested please let me know on this thread. Looking forward to starting to be a part of this forum and provide Kemper content myself that others hopefully enjoy and use,

Chris

Chris Spencer

Hardware/Software -

Guitars -

• Indeed, the profile itself is a kind of watermark. It contains binary parts of the AMP and CAB modules. I suspect that you can compare profiles with these binary values even if someone changes the author's data. Writing such an application is a completely different matter.

And of course, to compare them you have to get some profiles suspicious that they are a copy of your profiles.

• I doubt the KPA was built with even a single thought to monetizing the content created for it. To try and restrict usage goes back to the days of DRM.

Which on its very best day is a hassle for everyone involved. Even in today's streaming market, the backend to maintain the validity of dowloaded but not owned files has to be staggering.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• That is a ridiculous notion. No offense. Once you purchase something you are free to share it. Just like music. Or anything else. It’s mine and I can do what I want with it. And I have thousands of profiles that I share with people all the time. I have no problem with it. Unless someone tries to sell other people’s profiles then that is just unethical.

• That is a ridiculous notion. No offense. Once you purchase something you are free to share it. Just like music. Or anything else. It’s mine and I can do what I want with it. And I have thousands of profiles that I share with people all the time. I have no problem with it. Unless someone tries to sell other people’s profiles then that is just unethical.

You are typically purchasing the "license" to use the profiles, not the right to redistribute them. Maybe someone openly states that by buying their profiles you are free to share them with entire planet -- but that's not the agreement in pretty much any case I've seen when it comes to commercial profiles.

The bonanza

• Same goes for commercial music and film of course, Dimi.

Once you purchase something you are free to share it. Just like music. Or anything else. It’s mine and I can do what I want with it.

Since the dawn of the industry all records, CD's and whatnot have had a warning on them not to, and I'm paraphrasing going by memory, "copy, redistribute or publicly broadcast" the material.

It always remains the IP of the author/s and you purchase it with this implicit understanding.

• The same people who feel the right to share other people’s copyrighted IP are often the same ones who complain it isn’t possible to make a living making music anymore but blame it on big corporations and men in suits rather than the real culprits- people who think it is alright to steal other people’s work without paying for it.

• To want to copy someone else amp sounds and distribute them with out paying the guy who created those amp sounds, then want to make sure that nobody distributes your copies without paying you is a strange concept to me.