Great cab for powerhead

• I typially run my head thru a 4x12 Recto (oversized V30's), but wanted something smaller and more portable, but still had some "big tone" to it...Long story short, the Peavey 1x12 tweed (V-30) is just killer (especially for mid to high gain profiles) Tight full, great highs without being harsh, and not boxy at all...friggin HUGE sounding...Couldn't b happier..Oh, and the cleans are glorious!! They are super affordable and are really impressive. I had a Crate 1 x12 (100 w Celestian, 1/2 open back...It is such a bad sounding cab that I couldn't even make it sound good with the Kemper...plug in the Peavey cab, BOOM!! Like PB&J!!

• Nice... out of interest have you tried FRFR yet? Interested to know what you think in comparison

I use a Camper 1 x12 FRFR ( self built by someone else!) and spread, power etc is excellent!

https://reverb.com/uk/item/514…r-axe-fx-helix-2015-black

I used this one briefly but didn’t like it at all.

• ...aslo I assume you go direct FOH rather than mike? The advantage with FRFR is the sound FOH is the same...

Yes, main outs go directly to FOH.

As I'm a big proponent of FRFR normally I'm using my DXR 10 live.

But as I tend to use mainly Greenback or V30 voiced amps/profiles I gave the Nanocab a go and got great results.

We all know that a great cab can work its own magic and with the Profiler there’s room for any amplification solution you see fit.

• Yes, main outs go directly to FOH.

As I'm a big proponent of FRFR normally I'm using my DXR 10 live.

But as I tend to use mainly Greenback or V30 voiced amps/profiles I gave the Nanocab a go and got great results.

We all know that a great cab can work its own magic and with the Profiler there’s room for any amplification solution you see fit.

Sorry, my post was meant for the OP but useful to know :)

• What I've been using much recently (as an alternative to my DXR 10) is the Nanocab by Bluguitar.

This is a very nice little light-weight cab with a custom speaker which sounds like a mixture between a Greenback and a V30

Just had a look at this....looks good!!!

• Sorry, my post was meant for the OP but useful to know :)

I have only used Kemper's direct tones for recording, at this point. I've done the direct out for live too, but honestly, juyst like the "bounce" of the guitar cab.. since I'm not doing Top 40, I only used 5-6 different tones, all meant for that V30 sound (all of the direct recording I do also incorporated V/30's, except for the occasional Fender Del Rev/Vox sound I use very rarely..) That's one of the main things I love about the Kemper vs other great sounding AXE FX and Line6 modlelers...I don't need a universe's worth of different tones (although nice to have), I want to be able to plug it in to a normal cab and have it work like a regular good ol' amp...Which it does in spades...always had tou use FRFR with the others..Kemper is the best for doing it all...

• What I've been using much recently (as an alternative to my DXR 10) is the Nanocab by Bluguitar.

This is a very nice little light-weight cab with a custom speaker which sounds like a mixture between a Greenback and a V30

I'm sure this cab sounds great...I had tried numerous cabs that sounded boxy and were out of my price range.. (Bogner 1x2, Ear Candy, Mesa Thiele Cab, etc...) The PRS 1 x12 for the Tremonti ampo is sounds good, a bit boomy..I picked up the Peavey cab for $200 new...To be honest, I would have gladly paid anmlost twice the price..(Which is rediculous as Mesa 4x12 recto cabs around my area go for $350-$375...) I'm sure the Nanocab is killer.

• I have only used Kemper's direct tones for recording, at this point. I've done the direct out for live too, but honestly, juyst like the "bounce" of the guitar cab.. since I'm not doing Top 40, I only used 5-6 different tones, all meant for that V30 sound (all of the direct recording I do also incorporated V/30's, except for the occasional Fender Del Rev/Vox sound I use very rarely..) That's one of the main things I love about the Kemper vs other great sounding AXE FX and Line6 modlelers...I don't need a universe's worth of different tones (although nice to have), I want to be able to plug it in to a normal cab and have it work like a regular good ol' amp...Which it does in spades...always had tou use FRFR with the others..Kemper is the best for doing it all...

For the first 2 years I used a 4x12 and was fairly happy with it. I was even miking it, so using it exactly like an amp.

I have now ( last 2 years) switched to FRFR almost exclusively (sometimes I dig out the 4 x12 but mainly for looks on a big stage) as I was shocked at how much effect the cab has on the sound. With FRFR you can manage that i.e. have a v30 sound or a different characteristic with each rig! For festivals where they have 4x12's I also use them there. Like you I love the versatility to use either!!

Like you I have 5 or 6 sounds I go to, all rock based. As I have the power rack, getting an FRFR solution as well was actually very cheap ( I paid £120 for my camper second hand).

Regardless of FRFR or cab, I would certainly NOT mike my cab up anymore, going direct is so easy and sound engineers love it. I did ditch all my profiles though because when I played the porifles that seemed ok through a cab, they were pants through FRFR/FOH - in other words the cab disguised the poor profiles which I only realized through FRFR.

Anyway glad your enjoying it!

• I think it's more about the fact that I haven't had an opprotunity to rock it live @ a show...only used it in numerous rehearsals (i was plenty loud, only vocals and kick drum going thru P.A. Project fell apart, so just been writing , recording, and playing at relatively low volumes.. I most certainly would just go direct out into the house and just use the guitar cab as my monitor..I know it would sound just like it does going direct for recording...

• I think it's more about the fact that I haven't had an opprotunity to rock it live @ a show...only used it in numerous rehearsals (i was plenty loud, only vocals and kick drum going thru P.A. Project fell apart, so just been writing , recording, and playing at relatively low volumes.. I most certainly would just go direct out into the house and just use the guitar cab as my monitor..I know it would sound just like it does going direct for recording...

Then definately audition your profiles through a PA first...

First time I did it, sounded pants and I could not work out why...simply my profiles weren't great but were masked by my cab.

Now I find profiles and test through frfr first as if they sound good that way, they will sound ok through a cab.

Have fun dude!

• I was shopping 4x12's a few weeks back and am fortunate enough to have a friend with a bunch of cabs. I tried a Mesa Compact Recto with V30's, an Avatar with greenbacks, an Avatar with Creamback 65's, and a Marshall with G12H75's. The one with the Creambacks blew all of the other ones out of the water. I didn't want to shell out the dough for the Avatar with Creambacks new so i went looking for something i could maybe swap the speakers out on later. I tried a few out at a local vintage shop, a few Marshalls and another Mesa. I almost bought the Marshall but decided to try this Cornford with V30's and it killed the Marshalls so i bought the Cornford. Im digging the V30's in the Cornford, but still may switch 2 of em to Creambacks, i still can't shake the sound of the Kemper through the Creambacks, it was insane. Id recommend finding a 1x12 with one of those in it.

• FRFR has it's place but personally I can't stand it at home other than playing with Headphones at night. I've never found ANY FRFR speaker solution that worked for me - always sounds terrible.

Like I said headphones are good, and in ears are good, beyond that I've not seen anything that beats even a cheap cab. I was also shocked at home much variety I get from a normal cab. Sure it may not sound exactly like an AC30 in it's own cab - but it's pretty dang close. Certainly not worth going out and dropping another grand on a stinking powered speaker.

Just my opinion.

• FRFR has it's place but personally I can't stand it at home other than playing with Headphones at night. I've never found ANY FRFR speaker solution that worked for me - always sounds terrible.

Like I said headphones are good, and in ears are good, beyond that I've not seen anything that beats even a cheap cab. I was also shocked at home much variety I get from a normal cab. Sure it may not sound exactly like an AC30 in it's own cab - but it's pretty dang close. Certainly not worth going out and dropping another grand on a stinking powered speaker.

Just my opinion.

Fair enough...I found the opposite.

Cabs add way more colour that I previously thought, every profile sounded so similar. I used the usual rock staple 4 x12 with V30's and GH12's but ran it with many different cabs with the same outcome.

The big advantage is its closer to FOH. With a cab, there is so much colour you don't know what you are sending to FOH direct. When I ran a cab I tried to go direct and it sounded really bad. I then got an FRFR, realized the profiles I had were pants, changed them and boom job done. Now I know what sound goes to the PA.

I also refused to spend £00's on one, I have the powered rack and bought an FRFR Camper for £120. I also have a wedge that I paid £180. Both sound pretty good.