Couple of dynamic 5E3 (w. CL Blue) profiles uploaded!

• Hi guys,

Took a stab at profiling my handwired 5e3 clone today. Speaker is a Celestion Blue, mic'ed with a '57.

Pretty happy with the results. Uploaded two of the profiles to RE (numbers are 0-12 as on the amp):

- One really clean: "5E3 2" (Bright input, vol.2, tone 8.5)

- One slightly dirty: "5E3 B1 2" (Bright input, vol. 4, tone 8.5)

Only had a SM57 at hand today, so they aren't as full sounding as similar profiles with a 57+ribbon blend, but they should work great for live use and in a mix. Might have some new mics available soon, will probably do more profiles then!

If you're into deluxes, do please check them out - any feedback is much appreciated!

Profiling is fun (and LOUD) !

Cheers

UPDATE:

Added rigs (.zip) to post

5e3 Handwired.zip

• Hmmm, couldn't find them. What's your author name? Thank you.

Author name "Jacob Hansen". Should be available :)

Just used these in rehearsal for the first time today. Overall pleased with the results, but I might do some new ones if I can convince my buddy to let me use his MD421 together with my trusty old '57..

• Got em. Bravo! I especially love 5E3 B1 2. It shines both clean and with your combo of boost and dist in all LP positions. Can't wait to try it with a strat! Thanks.

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams

• Thanks for sharing man! Good profile.

Good stomp and reverb settings too.

I made the following tweaks for my set up using a 3 Lollar CC pickup equipped rosewood fretboard strat

Neither humbuckers nor strat singles coils but closer to humbucker output and tone than to that of a conventional strat.

- I bumped down the Gain from 4 lights to 3 or 8:00 (sounds less like speaker break up to me.)

- I put on compression in the AMP section to about 10:00 o'clock (I just tend to like that compression.)

- Liking what your Pure Boost did to the amp, I replaced the second stomp with a my go-to Treble Boost setting -Tone 3, Volume 1.5

- Increased the bass to 2:00 as this guitar seems to have a hole there with these settings.

This gave really nice note definition (too much for a lot of people) and some more brightness.

I was raised on Larry Carlton's tweed sound in 1970s/80s and this is what I have in mind when dialing something like this Deluxe up. He definitely had no fear of compression. :)

I think everybody needs to tweak their settings for each guitar and application. These settings wouldn't make it with my pine-bodied maple-necked CC equipped tele. Same pickups but different brightness between those two instruments for sure. The great thing with the Kemper is you can just save different EQ settings for different guitars!

Thanks again for the profile.

• Got em. Bravo! I especially love 5E3 B1 2. It shines both clean and with your combo of boost and dist in all LP positions. Can't wait to try it with a strat! Thanks.

Glad you like them !

Funny thing about uploading rigs, I haven't for a moment considered that my stomp and FX slots are uploaded as well! Goes to show how new I am to making my own profiles, I guess!

Nice to hear how you tweak the profiles so they work for you - FWIW, they are dialed in using my Tele, haven't used any of my other guitars with it yet - these profiles just had to be ready for next weeks gigs, which are all Tele. 8)

• Funny thing about uploading rigs, I haven't for a moment considered that my stomp and FX slots are uploaded as well! Goes to show how new I am to making my own profiles, I guess!

Oh, for sure. I get lots of ideas from the way other people are setting their effects up with certain guitar sounds.

For example Boogiem has a great "63 Vibroverb" profile and he uses the Legacy Reverb to great effect to get a nice atmospheric reverb. I save that reverb set-up into my effects and just modify the Mix settings to my application. I call it up for a lot of my cleaner Fenderish sounds where I will have parts played unaccompanied or without dense keys and other guitars playing or it might be too muddy.

So if you take your Deluxe profile, -1 on Gain, +3 on Treble, Treble Booster at 3.1/Tone and -1, 10:00 for compression in the AMP section and add Boogiem's reverb settings you get a tone somewhat reminiscent of Larry Carlton's tone on "Last Night" on the "Sleepwalk" album.

Last Night

Boogiem's Legacy Reverb setting:

Mix ( reduced to 16.4) Delay (3.78) Room Size (Hall) Predelay (20 ms)

High damp (2.2) Bandwidth (4.5) Mid freq (-1.4) Ducking (0.0)

• Great !

I will make sure to try those reverb settings as well! I am only just getting to the point where I feel I know the new reverbs well enough to quickly dial in what I hear in my head, without having to spend 5-10 minutes tweaking decay time, mix, high cut, lo cut etc. every time.

• The Spring is especially tricky. I don't really have 3 or 4 go to Spring settings yet. ...But you have to do the work to get the results and I haven't spent enough time with it yet.

Still I don't hear a lot of the new profiles on the Rig Exchange sporting beautiful spring reverbs settings either ... so I must not be alone. ;)