New to Kemper. I have a quick question.

• I am enjoying my first week with my profiler (non-powered). I’m using a Zoom L20 to record. My issue is trying to figure out how to get the exact sound I hear through my headphones on the Kemper to match the Zoom when I listen on that side. It’s close, but I’m not sure if I need to adjust the EQ or not. I’m running 2 Mogami cables from the Main Outputs (set to stereo on page 1), into two tracks on the Zoom. The Zoom is set to 48kHz. I’ve tinkered with it a bit, but I feel as though I’m getting further away from the original sound. Just trying to mirror the sound. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

• Welcome! Many, many threads on this issue of Headphones sounding better than the other outputs. Are you listening to your recording through headphones also?

I haven’t recorded yet. I wanted to get the mix correct first. Can you direct me to the proper threads on this so I don’t ask countless questions that have already been answered? I don’t have use of monitors, just a good set of HD 300 Pro.

• Well, try a search like this to start

headphones sound better site: https://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/

You'll have to look through the search results as I saw few that were just what you were looking for.

It's ok to ask as others will still chime in. The KPA seems to have some special sauce in its headphone amp, such as Headphone Space option. So, it's not going to sound the same as your Zoom. Others have pursued this farther than I have as I really don't use headphones that often.

• Well, try a search like this to start

headphones sound better site: https://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/

You'll have to look through the search results as I saw few that were just what you were looking for.

It's ok to ask as others will still chime in. The KPA seems to have some special sauce in its headphone amp, such as Headphone Space option. So, it's not going to sound the same as your Zoom. Others have pursued this farther than I have as I really don't use headphones that often.

Excellent. I truly appreciate your help. Now I have some reading material to keep me busy. Enjoy your evening and I hope to be able to help you as well one day.

• Alright, after a lot of research, it appears my cables and or routing may be my issue. I’m running the Kemper main outs L/R in stereo setting to individual channels on my Zoom L20. The Mogami cables I’m using are just normal patch cables; not XLR or TRS. I set the headphone jack on the Kemper to match its output, so now I hear the actual sound from the Kemper’s output for better reference. The sound on the Zoom is still cold and lifeless, so what do any of you think? Cables the issue?

• I’ve never been happy with the sound using ts or trs cables with the main outs. A single xlr in one of the main outs has always been my preference, and I set the main out to “master mono” (or however it’s labeled) in the output menu.

• I’ve never been happy with the sound using ts or trs cables with the main outs. A single xlr in one of the main outs has always been my preference, and I set the main out to “master mono” (or however it’s labeled) in the output menu.

XLR it is then. I’ll scoop some up soon and give it a go. Thanks for your help!

• The XLR cables made a difference, but I need further adjustments. It does sound better, but it's not quite a mirror image of each headphone jack. I'm considering jumping the Zoom L20 to 96kHz for recording to try it out, but given the Kemper's 44.1kHz output, I doubt that would make it worth losing the EQ on the L20 to record at 96. I did try out the one xlr and set it to mono, but it was too flat. All that said, the closest I've gotten so far is two tracks, KPA set to stereo.

I’ve never been happy with the sound using ts or trs cables with the main outs. A single xlr in one of the main outs has always been my preference, and I set the main out to “master mono” (or however it’s labeled) in the output menu.

• The XLR cables made a difference, but I need further adjustments. It does sound better, but it's not quite a mirror image of each headphone jack. I'm considering jumping the Zoom L20 to 96kHz for recording to try it out, but given the Kemper's 44.1kHz output, I doubt that would make it worth losing the EQ on the L20 to record at 96. I did try out the one xlr and set it to mono, but it was too flat. All that said, the closest I've gotten so far is two tracks, KPA set to stereo.

Have you checked that Pure Cab is off? That will effect the sound from the main outs vs the headphones. Also, are you using Space with the headphones? Lastly, Kemper released an update a few months ago allowing you to select between 44.1-96khz so I assume it sounds best when the Kemper and interface are matched up.

• Have you checked that Pure Cab is off? That will effect the sound from the main outs vs the headphones. Also, are you using Space with the headphones? Lastly, Kemper released an update a few months ago allowing you to select between 44.1-96khz so I assume it sounds best when the Kemper and interface are matched up.

I am using the newest update. The Pue Cab normally sits at zero, but I have tried cranking it up. As for Space, what should I be at? I'll be at my Kemper in a little bit to try all this out. I definitely was not aware of the rate adjustment which is great. How do I find that?

• I am using the newest update. The Pue Cab normally sits at zero, but I have tried cranking it up. As for Space, what should I be at? I'll be at my Kemper in a little bit to try all this out. I definitely was not aware of the rate adjustment which is great. How do I find that?

Check that global pure cab is switched off. I think it’s set at 3 by default. It’s a soft button in one of the menus. As for Space: it’s just a preference setting. Just check what level it’s at in your headphones out, and you can try matching that value in your output to see if it makes the 2 sound closer. I don’t have my Kemper with me right now so I can’t remember exactly where the sample rate adjustment is, but looking through the output menu is probably the place. I’m sure someone can chime in with specifics.

• Check that global pure cab is switched off. I think it’s set at 3 by default. It’s a soft button in one of the menus. As for Space: it’s just a preference setting. Just check what level it’s at in your headphones out, and you can try matching that value in your output to see if it makes the 2 sound closer. I don’t have my Kemper with me right now so I can’t remember exactly where the sample rate adjustment is, but looking through the output menu is probably the place. I’m sure someone can chime in with specifics.

Excellent. I'll do this and get back to you. Thank you!