Tremolo and Univibe in the KPA?

• Hi, my Name is Roland from Northern Germany.

The clips I've heard from KPA have definitely convinced me: it's the first digital solution that doesn't sound digtal to me :) . So at the moment I'm selling gear and saving money to buy the KPA.

I have a question about the effects. My favourite effects are Tremolo and Univibe, but all the KPA manuals I've read don't list them.

I remember someone on this forum mentioned that there is a tremolo effect in the KPA. Maybe Univibe too?

Can some friendly KPA user please enlighten me?

• Hi Orlando,

You have Vibrato, Rotary Speaker and Tremolo. They sounds good to me but I never had an Univibe so I cannot compare.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• you can get the univibe with the phaser. there are lots of phase stages, depth, rates, intensities to choose from when you select the phaser. turn a few knobs and you will be suprised you will get into univibe territory easily

• Most of the boutique Univibe pedals have a Chorus & Vibrato switch on them.
    The Univibe tone Gilmour, Hendrix, Trower, etc, use, uses the Chorus part of the Univibe.
    The Kemper has a great Vibrato, Tremelo and Phaser, I like using the Phaser for typical Gilmour stuff, think of the intro to "Breathe".

I also have one of these that I use in front of my Kemper...made by the late Bob Sweet in 2003.
    The Kemper's Vibrato is as good as this pedal.

[Blocked Image: http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/9622/mojovibe2.jpg]

• Thank you for all your replies :) .

you can get the univibe with the phaser. there are lots of phase stages, depth, rates, intensities to choose from when you select the phaser. turn a few knobs and you will be suprised you will get into univibe territory easily

Have you tried it and nailed the tone with the Kemper phaser?
    At the moment I'm a bit skeptical because to me the sound of my vibe pedal (T-Rex Viper) differs from the phasers I know (okay, mostly one-knob-pedals).
    Besides, nearly every MultiFX out there has a phaser AND a (uni)vibe efffect on board. Why would they do that if you can nail the vibe sound with a phaser?

Most of the boutique Univibe pedals have a Chorus & Vibrato switch on them.
    The Univibe tone Gilmour, Hendrix, Trower, etc, use, uses the Chorus part of the Univibe.
    The Kemper has a great Vibrato, Tremelo and Phaser, I like using the Phaser for typical Gilmour stuff, think of the intro to "Breathe".

I also have one of these that I use in front of my Kemper...made by the late Bob Sweet in 2003.
    The Kemper's Vibrato is as good as this pedal.

[Blocked Image: http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/9622/mojovibe2.jpg]

Yeah, it's the chorus part of the univibe I'm looking for. Love this special throbbing undercurrent! But it's good to hear that vibrato of the KPA equals with the Mojo Vibe :) .

• Thank you for all your replies :) .

Have you tried it and nailed the tone with the Kemper phaser?
    At the moment I'm a bit skeptical because to me the sound of my vibe pedal (T-Rex Viper) differs from the phasers I know (okay, mostly one-knob-pedals).
    Besides, nearly every MultiFX out there has a phaser AND a (uni)vibe efffect on board. Why would they do that if you can nail the vibe sound with a phaser?

Yeah, it's the chorus part of the univibe I'm looking for. Love this special throbbing undercurrent! But it's good to hear that vibrato of the KPA equals with the Mojo Vibe :) .

the vibrato is quite something in the KPA.
    I have a few chorus pedals here that I modded to get rig of the dry signal (before I joined Kemper), effectively creating a vibrato effect.
    Now they're just gathering dust.
    Also there is an amazing Rotatry Speaker effect in the KPA that is quite a bit more flexible than other effects I've come across claiming to do what it does. The Low-High Balance parameter and especially the Distance parameter are able to adjust the effect in a very musical way.
    The philosophy behind all this is to enable you to get the character and voicing you want with a minimum of parameters.

• The Univibe is a phaser.
    It is not a mixture of a phaser with something else.
    The vibrato switch setting is the phaser's effect signal only.

The only difference to a regular phaser is the LFO waveform.
    We will have this shape soon for our phaser too.

CK

• Thank you CK!
    I hope that after solving all the sability issues (which seem to be way better in the last two releases) we'll have some more options/features on fx and controls to have better amp/cab refinings.
    KPA rulez!

• Thank you for you attention, mr Kemper.

My personal ideas:
    1) FX: i'd like to be able to have a deeper control on fx. For example i miss a bit the fact i cannot choose a level of mix in the distortion pedals. Sometimes it can be very useful. An option to have more complex routings (serial, parallel, custom fx chains, etc).
    It would be cool to profile single distortion pedals, but i know that you suggest to profile pedal/amp together to catch the interaction between the two.
    I'd like to have more fx too, as other users said in the feature request section.

2)Amp: i hope you'll implement the swappable tone stacks. My personal idea is that a "deep" profiling would be cool: i think to a higher interaction between the user and the kpa while profiling. For example: to have a more precise tone stack profiling the user sweeps the tone/gain knobs on the profiled amp (form 0 to 10) while the KPA sends specific signals for each tone control (bass, mid, high, presence) and gain one.
    I think that in this way the KPA will be able to "learn" better how the tone control works.

3) Cab: i'd like a full parametric Eq in the cab section, with shelving/blocking highs and lows. A speaker drive/distortion control would be cool too.

Once again thank you for your customer care.

• Looking forward to this. I too have a Mojo Vibe but I wasn't hearing it (speaking chorus mode - ala Jimi) in the Kemper.

If what we get is as good as the Mojo I can foresee a couple hundred $ hitting my PayPal soon after! If we could profile our pedals and save them as standalone stomps (please add this CK), my board would pay for my KPA!!!

"Tone is in the fingers" is not a necessary response to anything that I might type on any internet forum threads. Thank you.

• Hate to poo poo others comments but feel like the vibe is very mild and underwhelming compared to my Mojo Vibe. The throb is very weak. If you bump up the intensity setting it sounds like a chorus pedal trying to sound like a vibe pedal. You can get more throb by lowering the frequency setting but doing so takes away from hearing the effect on the highs. A slight bump to the volume setting helps too, along with choosing to use it on an amp with a slight break up, but the overall effect is simply anemic compared to a real vibe pedal.

If the vibe in the KPA is just as good as your Mojo I would strongly suggest opening up your Mojo Vibe and increasing the LED intensity on the internal mini pot.

PS - not a hater. I think most of the effects are great.

"Tone is in the fingers" is not a necessary response to anything that I might type on any internet forum threads. Thank you.