Upgrading your 'classics' amp profiles.

• From the very start I've always had the following go to amps stored in my KPA: a Twin, a Deluxe, AC30, 50W Plexi, Dumble, raging Boogie, and a few others. Love being on the lookout for possible upgrades to the stable. Lately I've auditioned a lot but not replaced anything - which is a good thing. Last night I did a shoot out with my favorite MBritt AC30 profile from his '69' pack up against Tone Junkie's 'silver bell' pack of a recent custom Vox PTP re-issue.

An hour or so later and one of the TJ profiles very slightly nudged Britt from his long held throne. Just the tiniest bit more pleasant sparkle on the high end. My EP boost likes the TJ amp better too.

The AC30 is dead. Long live the AC30!

Anyone else in the habit of doing this?

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams

• I haven't got there yet but see myself doing something very similar. I was on the Tone Junkie sight last night listening to some of the AC30 sounds in their Stu G.'s 62 AC30 pack. A few of them sounded really really good over my cheap speakers. I recently downloaded a free MBritt profile of the Little Walter 22 in the free rig pack section of RM. With just a couple of tweaks, it is just stunning. Not saying much, because I've had a profiler for all of 5 minutes (three weeks actually but you get what I'm saying:P). It is probably my favorite so far. I also love the sound of a slightly tweaked mid gain profile of Gilmour's HiWatt which sounds so much like Malcolm Young when I play my Tele with TV Jones filtertrons into it. I'm already looking for anything that it as good or better. I can see that the search will likely never end.