Delay Question

• I am new to Kemper. Really like it .

I am not understanding the delay section. When you turn the type knob it displays the delay algorithm, single, dual etc. But it does not show the delay patch, bad tape, digital, crystal or what ever. When you turn the browse knob any stomp box patch can come up. How can i tell what delay patch I am in that i have already stored. Or when I pull up a new algorithm from another rig how can i tell what patch it is.

Hope i am asking this the right way.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve:/

• This aspect won't change in the new preset management: There is no link between a Rig and the presets that might have been used to assemble it from Input to module REV. An effect preset is just a convenient way to select an effect type and dial in all its parameter settings. It's a one-off like dialing in parameters manually. There is no ongoing reference between the Rig and the preset. If you build a Rig using selective browse, locking or copy/paste there is also no logical reference to the source. An effect preset even includes the on/off state of the effect. As soon as you switch the effect module on or off or adjust the Mix or Ducking a bit, what you see and hear doesn't reflect the preset anymore. So, the life time of a logical link between an effect module in a Rig and the preset originally loaded might be much shorter than what people think.

I'm not aware, that any other comparable product offers presets on a module and section level. I think it's a great tool. If you think it's a disaster, don't use it;). If you think, the list of presets it too long, delete those you don't need.

• Or when I pull up a new algorithm from another rig how can i tell what patch it is.

The PROFILER tries to keep as many parameters as possible when you change an algorithm.

If you set the Green Scream to taste and then switch to the Muffin, all the parameter values stay the same, since both effects have the same layout (Drive, Tone, Mix, Volume)

When you set up your delay (let's say Single Delay algorithm) with 150ms Delay Time, 50% feedback and 50% Mix, then decide that you really need the Dual Delay algorithm, Delay Time 1, Feedback 1 and Mix keep these values so you don't have to dial them in again.

I think that's a pretty neat way to handle algorithm switching. ;)

• You can use some naming convention like DLQC - DeLayQuadCrystal at the beginning of the preset name.

• I think it's a great tool. If you think it's a disaster, don't use it;). If you think, the list of presets it too long, delete those you don't need.

I'm not referring to the link between Rigs and Presets, merely the ability to locate presets using the current browse knob and Type knob functionality. At the moment I pretty much don't use it because it is so clumsy. However, from what you demoed at NAMM that definitely looks set to change and I can't wait to get my hands on OS6 to make use of it.

Finding presets at the moment requires the interminable scroll of death. Once we can scroll by Type then select Preset from that sub group presets will indeed be a great tool. I for one am very excited about that.

• I'm not referring to the link between Rigs and Presets, merely the ability to locate presets using the current browse knob and Type knob functionality. At the moment I pretty much don't use it because it is so clumsy. However, from what you demoed at NAMM that definitely looks set to change and I can't wait to get my hands on OS6 to make use of it.

Finding presets at the moment requires the interminable scroll of death. Once we can scroll by Type then select Preset from that sub group presets will indeed be a great tool. I for one am very excited about that.

As a new Kemper user, I'm with you here. I have about a dozen guitars, and I only use a PAF equipped Les Paul with the Kemper because the prospect of having to tweak every profile for one or two, let alone a half dozen different guitars is not pleasant. I have really dialed in about a dozen profiles and I was shocked at how bad they all sound when I tried them with my Tele and my Strat. Totally unusable, so I'll have to spend days tweaking and scrolling to create rigs for those guitars if I want to play them. This is the area, that in my opinion, Kemper has not come close to a good old fashioned tube amp. I have found that while I like some things about the Kemper a lot, the endless scrolling gets really really old and very quickly.

• I have really dialed in about a dozen profiles and I was shocked at how bad they all sound when I tried them with my Tele and my Strat. Totally unusable, so I'll have to spend days tweaking and scrolling to create rigs for those guitars if I want to play them. This is the area, that in my opinion, Kemper has not come close to a good old fashioned tube amp.

Isn't this normal? Different guitar-> different settings. No matter if you're using tube amps or the Kemper. And a Les Paul is really a different guitar compared to a Strat or a Tele.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• Isn't this normal? Different guitar-> different settings. No matter if you're using tube amps or the Kemper. And a Les Paul is really a different guitar compared to a Strat or a Tele.

indeed, one of the things most often praised about the PROFILER is how well it reacts to different guitars and pickups.

Still, I do have rigs where I can switch from a Tele (Minihumbucker & P90-ish SC) to a 339 with P90s and even a Framus Diablo with SSH (HB is a JB2, a SH4 with an Alnico2 magnet) - these often are somewhat bread and butter crunch sounds, but the PROFILER reacts to the guitars/PUs exactly as I would expect.

And whenever I plug into a tube amp I adjust the bass, middle and treble controls after a few chords, it's almost automatic. Same with the PROFILER, play a few notes, maybe adjust gain, maybe B/M/T and done.

• And whenever I plug into a tube amp I adjust the bass, middle and treble controls after a few chords, it's almost automatic. Same with the PROFILER, play a few notes, maybe adjust gain, maybe B/M/T and done.

and the only difference between the PROFILER and a tube amp in that regard is that one can actually store those adjusted settings in the PROFILER!

• As the guys have all said. I find the Kemper responds brilliantly to different guitars pretty much exactly like my real amps. One advantage of the KPa is that you can store the tweaks but for me one of the others is that tone controls behave consistently whereas with real amps the tone stacks are all different making it much more random trying to tweak them.

The only thing that bugs me (which I was referring to earlier) is the endless scrolling to find really gs, presets and effect types etc. Once OS6 goes live my life will be boring as hell because I won’t have anything to moan about :D

• Isn't this normal? Different guitar-> different settings. No matter if you're using tube amps or the Kemper. And a Les Paul is really a different guitar compared to a Strat or a Tele.

I'm not trying to provoke anyone at all. I've had my KPA for about a month, and it is the first piece of digital gear that I've ever bought, except for a couple of Strymon pedals. I'm still on the steep end of the learning curve, and there are some things that I really really like about the KPA. I think it will become a heavily used tool in my tool box.

That said, I guess I'm lucky to have some world class amps, mainly an original 5e5a Tweed Pro and a Trainwreck Rocket. They're both pretty flat in terms of eq. I can plug any guitar I own into them from jazz boxes to Filtertron equipped Teles to p90's, PAF's, doesn't matter. Very small adjustments of the bass and treble and they all sound stunning. I definitely haven't figured out how to get that from the Kemper. It took me hours to tweak most of my rigs last night to create rigs specifically for a traditional Tele. I think I'll have to do the same thing for a Cabronita Tele with filtertrons. Just takes a lot of time.

• I'm not trying to provoke anyone at all. I've had my KPA for about a month, and it is the first piece of digital gear that I've ever bought, except for a couple of Strymon pedals. I'm still on the steep end of the learning curve, and there are some things that I really really like about the KPA. I think it will become a heavily used tool in my tool box.

That said, I guess I'm lucky to have some world class amps, mainly an original 5e5a Tweed Pro and a Trainwreck Rocket. They're both pretty flat in terms of eq. I can plug any guitar I own into them from jazz boxes to Filtertron equipped Teles to p90's, PAF's, doesn't matter. Very small adjustments of the bass and treble and they all sound stunning. I definitely haven't figured out how to get that from the Kemper. It took me hours to tweak most of my rigs last night to create rigs specifically for a traditional Tele. I think I'll have to do the same thing for a Cabronita Tele with filtertrons. Just takes a lot of time.

I regularly play with a band where my main guitar is a Gibson ES135 with P90s. My backup guitar for that gig is a Jazzmaster.

The Jazzmaster is so different that I had to create a duplicate set of performances for that guitar.

It really took no time at all: I duplicated each rig and tweaked the EQ and a few amp parameters until I was happy. If I swap guitars during a gig, each Jazzmaster Performance is one bank up from its equivalent ES135 Performance.

It was actually much harder to do the same thing when I was using a Mesa Roadster for that gig.

Incidentally, DeeBoughton , is that an eES225 in your photo?

• As the guys have all said. I find the Kemper responds brilliantly to different guitars pretty much exactly like my real amps. One advantage of the KPa is that you can store the tweaks but for me one of the others is that tone controls behave consistently whereas with real amps the tone stacks are all different making it much more random trying to tweak them.

The only thing that bugs me (which I was referring to earlier) is the endless scrolling to find really gs, presets and effect types etc. Once OS6 goes live my life will be boring as hell because I won’t have anything to moan about :D

I apologize for broadening the issue. Tweaking pre-set effects and parameters in those effects is tedious and I find that I have to do this with every rig I set up. I'm definitely going to delete those effects that I never use once I figure out which ones they are for certain.

• I regularly play with a band where my main guitar is a Gibson ES135 with P90s. My backup guitar for that gig is a Jazzmaster.

The Jazzmaster is so different that I had to create a duplicate set of performances for that guitar.

It really took no time at all: I duplicated each rig and tweaked the EQ and a few amp parameters until I was happy. If I swap guitars during a gig, each Jazzmaster Performance is one bank up from its equivalent ES135 Performance.

It was actually much harder to do the same thing when I was using a Mesa Roadster for that gig.

Incidentally, DeeBoughton , is that an eES225 in your photo?

Like I said above, I guess I'm lucky with the amps I have, everything you plug into them sounds great. Yes, the hollow body is a 1959 ES225TD that my dad bought new in 1960.

• I apologize for broadening the issue. Tweaking pre-set effects and parameters in those effects is tedious and I find that I have to do this with every rig I set up. I'm definitely going to delete those effects that I never use once I figure out which ones they are for certain.

There is no way to delete effects types. They are hardcoded. You can delete presets but this will not remove these effects from Rig's.