KPA vs Timeline (can't get mix/decay of repeats dialed in just right)

• Hi - Just purchased a Kemper a few weeks ago, and among other things, I was ecstatic to trade in my oversized pedal board for a nice Kemper remote. Though, I'm running into an odd issue that I can't quite figure out, or explain. The tones of the Kemper delay compared to my Timeline are fine by me, but I can't seem to get the mix/decay of the repeats to feel right.

The specific sound I'm looking for has a pretty good mix for the first repeat, and then the repeats after that are still audible, but they decay fast enough that they get out of the way and eventually just kinda of mix into the reverb.

I feel like (on my Kemper) whenever I get the volume of the first repeat just right, the following repeats are too loud. So I bring the decay down, but then there aren't enough repeats anymore. So I bring the decay back up and I bring the over all mix down, and the repeats are at the perfect volume, but the first repeat isn't loud enough an gets lost in the mix too quickly.

It's like my delay preset has two parts: (1) my initial repeat, and (2) the trail of repeats after. When ever I get part 1 at the right volume, part 2 is too loud, and whenever I get part 2 at the right volume, part 1 is too quiet. I'm not looking for a massively loud first repeat, and then all the repeats after that to be super quiet, its just that the way the repeats decay in volume isn't vibing for me. It's gotten to the point where I'm tempted to set two delays on my Kemper and have the first just be one repeat at the volume I like and have the second be a trail at the volume I like...but that feels like overkill.

I probably sound WAY too picky here, but there is just something about the mix/decay volume on my Timeline that I can't seem to replicate on my Kemper. Has anyone else noticed this, or had trouble dialing in their Kemper to match what they had going on their Timeline?

• Try the quad delay, you can set the volumes of all the delays to whatever volume you want. For my use, I set the first delay at 10, and the subsequent delays at 2 or less.

If you are running stereo, center the first delay and pan the subsequent delays.

The amount of high end in the delay makes a difference in how apparent the repeat is. Cut highs from the delay to make it less apparent.

You will only get 3 repeats with feedback at 0. If you want more than 3 repeats, increase the feedback.

As always, experiment with these suggestions until you get what you want.

Be Thankful.

• I have a similar issue, and I use a Timeline on my board also. I think the Kemper delays sound really good and I will have to try the Quad delay, haven't tried that one yet. I wish there was a repeat control rather than just feedback. It seems like feedback controls both the # of repeats and their volume. When I get the number of repeats right the volume of repeats tends to be too low. When I get repeat volume right, there are too many repeats.

• have you tried low values of 'Grit'? This should slightly saturate the repeats.

It seems like feedback controls both the # of repeats and their volume.

'Mix' determines the volume of the repeats.

Are we really talking about the volume/level of the repeats or about the way the level decreases.

Mayby you could post an example of the way the repeats decay on the Strymon (just a short, staccato note, so the repeats can be heard clearly).

• Do you place the KPA delay in the same position as the Timeline (before or after the amp)? That can change the dynamics of the delay a lot. As mentioned, Grid has a similar effect.

I really like the KPA delays. They sound great. At home I can easily dial in the sound I’m looking for. But I end up using my El Capistan instead when I play live.

I tend to adjust settings while I play live to match the room, my mood or the song.

I normally only adjust Time, feedback and mix. Even though those parameters are directly accessible on the KPA I can’t manage to adjust the sound as quick as I can with the El Capistan. I suspect this is because of the range/speed and feel of the encoders and the lack of a clear reference.

• Do you place the KPA delay in the same position as the Timeline (before or after the amp)? That can change the dynamics of the delay a lot. As mentioned, Grid has a similar effect.

I really like the KPA delays. They sound great. At home I can easily dial in the sound I’m looking for. But I end up using my El Capistan instead when I play live.

I tend to adjust settings while I play live to match the room, my mood or the song.

I normally only adjust Time, feedback and mix. Even though those parameters are directly accessible on the KPA I can’t manage to adjust the sound as quick as I can with the El Capistan. I suspect this is because of the range/speed and feel of the encoders and the lack of a clear reference.

Good point. None of my amps have effects loops, so delay (and everything else) goes in the front of the amp. So far, I have used delay after the amp in the Kemper. I will try delay before the amp in the KPA and see how that sounds and feels. Thanks!

• Something else you could try is to layer up two delays, one for the first delay with no feedback then another for the repeats at a lower mix level. This will allow you complete control.

• Agree on the position thing - delay before the amp gets all the compression and distortion the amp applies to the signal so repeats are louder and dirtier than they would be if the same settings are used after the amp.

• There's a pretty useful vid from Pete Thorn where he demonstrates using an Echoplex style pedal before an amp and he shows how this is very much part van halen's early sound (Echoplex and mod pedals before his dimed plexi head ). He demonstrates the setup for the tone of Ain't Talkin bout Love using the pedal and the KPA about 5 mins in or so. Enjoy.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• There's a pretty useful vid from Pete Thorn where he demonstrates using an Echoplex style pedal before an amp and he shows how this is very much part van halen's early sound (Echoplex and mod pedals before his dimed plexi head ). He demonstrates the setup for the tone of Ain't Talkin bout Love using the pedal and the KPA about 5 mins in or so. Enjoy.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Thanks for that! I love Pete Thorn videos. Even though he was selling the MXR pedal the info. he shares is great. It's also really cool to see how the KPA reacts to the changes in guitar volume and how that changes the dynamics of the delay. I'm going to play around with my analog and digital delays in front of the KPA. This video really gives me some ideas. Thanks again!