Struggling with my sound

• AdamMassacre1981 To get to the output menu, you'll hold the "Output" switch in the upper-right corner of your Profiler. There are something five screens to scroll through via the left and right advance. Things I would check:

1) Make sure there is no global EQ set on your recording output

2) Dial back the Pure Cabinet setting a healthy amount. I set mine to 1.0, and that's mostly because I'm superstitious.

3) Either disable the Space control from outputting to your interface, or set it low — somewhere around 1.0. I actually like the stereo effects it gives me over S/PDIF.

• Yeah massive difference and im only using the free earbuds i got with my phone.Most of the profiles sound realy nice.

if you like the sound coming from the headphone output of the PROFILER chances are that your audio interface is incapable to reproduce the sound coming from the PROFILER accurately. The Focusrite 2i4 is an entry level interface which would explain this. To capture the full sound quality of the PROFILER signal i would suggest that you try some more professional audio interfaces from companies like RME, MOTU, UAudio and Apogee in the 500€ range.

• if you like the sound coming from the headphone output of the PROFILER chances are that your audio interface is incapable to reproduce the sound coming from the PROFILER accurately. The Focusrite 2i4 is an entry level interface which would explain this. To capture the full sound quality of the PROFILER signal i would suggest that you try some more professional audio interfaces from companies like RME, MOTU, UAudio and Apogee in the 500€ range.

Ive been lookin to upgrade for some time now maybe its time i take the plundge right? ?

• Find someone who plays and records metal using the Kemper that has a tone you like. Ask them the guitar, pickups tuning and string gauge. Listen to how they pick. The closer your technique and guitar setup is to the person who created the profile = better results.

Dont blame the interface.

• Respectfully, the 2i4 is a fine interface. It's been met with critical acclaim across the industry. Its little brother, the 2i2, was recently awarded Wirecutter's Best USB Audio Interface. I can't imagine it being the weak link in this chain.

I never tried the Focusrite and I never heard of Wirecutter but we do get reports from users that are unhappy with the quality of the focusrite headphone outputs all the time. Since the OP likes the sound coming out of the PROFILER headphone outputs the only other component in the recording chain that has any influence on the recorded sound quality is the interface. Hence my suggestion to try out something else in a more semipro range.

• I never tried the Focusrite and I never heard of Wirecutter but we do get reports from users that are unhappy with the quality of the focusrite headphone outputs all the time. Since the OP likes the sound coming out of the PROFILER headphone outputs the only other component in the recording chain that has any influence on the recorded sound quality is the interface. Hence my suggestion to try out something else in a more semipro range.

The logical way to eliminate the Focusrite for trouble shooting would be to plug the Kemper Main Outs straight into the Studio Mintors. This will remove the interface from the chain completely. If the problem is still there then the problem isn’t the interface. If it goes away then you know the interface is most like the problem but would still need to check there isn’t anything else in the signal path on the computer that could be affecting the sound.

• The logical way to eliminate the Focusrite for trouble shooting would be to plug the Kemper Main Outs straight into the Studio Mintors. This will remove the interface from the chain completely. If the problem is still there then the problem isn’t the interface. If it goes away then you know the interface is most like the problem but would still need to check there isn’t anything else in the signal path on the computer that could be affecting the sound.

Thanks dude! i will plug it into my HS7s and see what happens! \m/

https://www.youtube.com/channe…m8b-Sw?view_as=subscriber

• Hi Adam,

Your interface is fine for Kemper.

What is it specifically you don't like?

In one of the eq's you can pull 5kHz down, that helps fizz, and also, high pass and low pass at 100 and 9kHz.

Are you in the UK...if you're close to Halifax I would be happy to help mate.

Cheers,

Greg

PRS Custom 22's - Fender Strats - Diezel VH4 - Carol Ann OD2 - Toneking Imperial MK2 - Colin the Kemper - CLR Neo ii.

• Well it all depends on the profiles and p.u's used where to cut if it needs it.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• If the sound from the headphones is right, then why not just run a splitter from the interface headphones into the aux input on the Kemper.

Unless that would cause some micro latency.

But you could mute the guitar monitoring from daw and still have it record so it doesn't double back through the aux input. That way you can hear what other tracks (drums bass etc) are going on in the daw. 8)

• What Awesome_Elvis said.

FWIW I was using the 6i6 1st gen for a long time, and I recently switched to an Apollo Twin after it died - Even going through the Apollo XLR channels rather than SPDIF, it still sounds a lot better. It's like someone took a blanket off the speakers.

• Hey Greg!

I think i became profile blind! i just hit a wall! with SO many profiles to chose from i was getting lost.They probably sound amazing but like i say ive been through so many profiles ive become deaf to the bad-assery and confused of what actually sounds great and how it will sit in a mix.

Ive took a step back (cleaned up my kemper of the MANY profiles) and had a break and shook my head a bit and went back in with fresh ears and its coming together a lot more and starting to hit that quality spot to where im excited again.

My go to tone is no longer my go to tone because yes it sounds killer on its own but i realise it belongs nowhere in a mix.Im starting to teach my ears and the whole thought process more about "fitting in the mix" for example a profile may sound like ass on its own but with a bass and drums to compliment it sounds HUGE and cuts like a knife.

Where as before i would want the writing process done NOW! and rush things im slowing it right down and learning more about EQ'ing even things like setting up my guitar properly and using the correct gauge strings/pics and even looking at my actual playing technique.These little details i would usually not really bother with but are now HUGELY improving everything.

Its all coming together dude! \m/

https://soundcloud.com/adam-ma…helmet-kemper-profile-jam this is a little jam i wrote using the (removed by mod) kemper bundle "TIN FOIL HELMET" Profile on my sevenstring in drop G.Using GGD Modern and massive drums and Eurobass 2.

• What Awesome_Elvis said.

FWIW I was using the 6i6 1st gen for a long time, and I recently switched to an Apollo Twin after it died - Even going through the Apollo XLR channels rather than SPDIF, it still sounds a lot better. It's like someone took a blanket off the speakers.

Awesome! ive been looking into the Apollo Twin...just a bit scared at the price hahaha heard amazing things its certainly something i will be looking into tho \m/

• Glad to hear that its worked out for you.

I also struggled in the beginning, judging the unit on its stock presets. What did it for me was a (removed by mod) Marshall Jubilee profile. It took me ages to find the right profile.

Obviously many out there, have found umpteen profiles that satisfy, but like finding the right amp with the right mike in the right position, this was my breakthrough point.

On the subject of interfaces, some will say your interface is fine, some use interfaces that cost as much as the Kemper.

I've been through a few interfaces in the last 14 years, and now have an RME Fireface 400. I won't settle for anything less than that. Had an EMU 1616M before that, one day support disappeared leaving no drivers for future version of Windows. So that's something I consider, when going with a new company!

I'd say that if your going to spend so much on a Kemper, it's worth at least trying a more expensive interface at some point.

Your demos do sound good quality though. With interfaces I find that your sometimes paying considerably more, for maybe a 5-10% improvement.

All subjective at the end of the day.