Make the information about the used preset available

• Presets are completely independent from Rigs. There is no link between any Rig and any preset in our data model.

This is key to understand the system. While other multi-effects manufacturers (e.g. Strymon, Eventide, …) offer to store a specific number of "presets" on their devices, we have a specific number of "rigs" we can store on our device. The nomenclature is different, and it is for a reason. Companies like Strymon (Mobius, Timeline, BigSky) or Eventide (H9) didn't feel the need to worry a lot about nomenclature cause their devices are way less complex than the Profiler. They basically do one thing (effect) at any given time, while the Profiler runs a profile (AMP, EQ, CAB), 8 effects modules, an input and an output stage. This is a total of 13 stages and if we add the 3 "groups" (STOMPS, STACK, EFFECTS), we end up with 16 stages total.

from the scarce participation to this thread, it looks like I am among the few who feel uncomfortable with the current KAOS philosophy

This might be true, I for one don't struggle with the basic concept at all. But at the same time, I believe I understand a little bit what you would like to achieve. Let me explain a little.

Due to the small display of the Profiler, it's impossible to give us a more complete overview over the rig and what's going on in the rig on the main screen. The colored LEDs on each effects module give very limited indication of what the module actually does. On a Strymon BigSky for example, you can at least see what effect type is selected (ah, I'm running a spring reverb). But then, you still don't see any of its specific settings unless you dive into the menu and check its parameter settings.

On the Profiler, you'll have to press and hold the effects module button to see the actual effects type loaded and then browse through its parameters to see how it's setup. Basically one step more compared to the Strymon example. By the way, for a quick overview over the sections, you can also press and hold the STOMPS, STACK or EFFECTS buttons on the Profiler.

Now, all this being said, I do understand your wish to have a quick and easy visual (readable) indication of what a specific module is setup to do. And that's the reason you state that you miss the indication which effects preset an effects module might have been "based" on. The only difference between us is that I'm sure a change would break way more things than it would cure. There's no logic in the Profiler ecosystem that would be able to tell if the original preset loaded has been just "slightly" changed or if it has been completely changed. And there's no point in showing anything like "Aqualong*" if it has been changed so much that it would deserve to be called "EndlessAmbiance". :D

I guess for a better quick overview, we'll have to wait for either the upcoming rig editor or a future Profiler with a much bigger (color) screen. Guess you already know what will come sooner, hehe. :)

Personally, I have never struggled with the issue you have. I'm quite happy the way it is and I just make sure I name my rigs properly, use folders in Rig Manager and/or use Performances. And I'm not just an individual musician with a relatively limited number of rigs, I own 2 studios and have to manage the rigs/performances of many many artists. Never been an issue.

Cheers

Martin

• I of course agree that the soon-to-come presets management will be a huge improvement over the current one. It will be the way it should have been since day one, if I want to be honest :p

Among other things, the new RM will also finally allow a decent management of the Cabinets, which has always been a royal PITA! (I have over 600 presets waiting for a reasonable management facility).

I surely hope the new functions overall will allow to easily manage and store as physical files the presets (cabs included) in a much more practical way.

Martin, I know what you mean when you talk about "Aqualong*" Vs. "EndlessAmbiance" :D

But there's a flaw in the vision this hints at, which I see in Burkhard's line of reasoning as well: the idea that the user is a bit dumb :p

For me it's obvious that, when at the point that Aqualong* becomes EndlessAmbiance, I am going to save it as a new preset. Also, chance are that Aqualong doesn't get tweaked t all.

In deeper detail: even dismissing my tentative "object-based" metaphor (see my last long post), I nevertheless find useful to know where a certain preset came from. In most cases a preset is tweaked but not revolutionised (otherwise I'd choose another one, or create another one (for example, by saving my tweaks)), so I find interesting (and I would have liked in real use) to know where the hell I had found a given setting, maybe a week or a year late.

Again, the need comes from the fact that there may be 6 pages of parameters in a given effect type; if it was a matter of turning a couple of knobs I'd be the first going by ear.

Use case: I'm working an a set of very ambient, Gaelic-like songs (like The Gladiator theme). I found a delay type that is perfect for my musical idea, but edited it for each song. OTOH, I like to use sounds that refer back to a same archetype, in order to give the songs a nice inner coherence (I do, as a matter of fact, use the same settings in all other effects)

Each rig's delay offsets a bit the original preset. Granted, when creating the rig for the next song I could just copy any instance of the delay and re-tweak from there, but as said I prefer to start from the original preset so that any song doesn't diverge much from a given feeling (the feeling I loved and liked when first auditioning the original preset I chose).

What I currently do is just writing the name of the original preset on my music sheets, but I really believe there should be a more consistent, technological solution.

Another way to manage this would be as follows: when the effect edit screen has the focus and I turn the Browse know, what's currently shown (KAOS 5.7.7) is the last loaded preset, no matter whether I am in the same effect module or in a different one.

Would it be possible that what gets shown, instead, is the last preset loaded onto that specific module Burkhard ?

This would basically solve the issue and make everyone happy? :)

Happy as Easter, of course :D

Still chasing a worthy one :/

• I don't understand why in your Gaelic-like song example, if you found a perfect delay type and tweaked it as your archetype, you cannot simply create a preset of that delay and name it "Gaelic Archetype Delay". From then onwards it's available for reuse and further tweaking and the name has a meaning for you. That's exactly the idea of presets and their normal workflow. And your ears will confirm, that the delays in all those Gaelic songs are not identical but sound similar. And that's sufficient.

Effects within Rigs are not necessarily based on presets or could have been created on another PROFILER with a different pool of presets than yours.

• I don't understand why in your Gaelic-like song example, if you found a perfect delay type and tweaked it as your archetype, you cannot simply create a preset of that delay and name it "Gaelic Archetype Delay".

In my example, the archetype is the original preset, not my tweaks

• I've tried to fight this battle also pippopluto . I hate to say it, but I think its pretty pointless even though our expectations that the kemper should manage files like almost every other known file management system under the sun are sound, and our logic on how and why we expect things to behave a certain way is pretty much flawless. You have my support, fwiw.

• I've tried to fight this battle also pippopluto . I hate to say it, but I think its pretty pointless even though our expectations that the kemper should manage files like almost every other known file management system under the sun are sound, and our logic on how and why we expect things to behave a certain way is pretty much flawless. You have my support, fwiw.

Yep, I guess any user has to take into account the perspective of their needs\points of view not being accounted for. There are various reasons for this of course.

Anyway, to me, there are 3-4 things in the KAOS-related user experience I'd have had different from scratch, and find illogic or not practical, outside the subject of this very thread.

At least, it seems we are going to have a (hopefully) complete and coherent presets management facility in a few months :)

• This is IMO one of the logistic flaws in the Profiler: the name of the preset used in a given slot gets lost after you assign it.
    Actually, as long as you stay on that slot, turning the Browse knob shows the loaded preset highlighted. But, if you try and do this for other slots, you'll be presented with the same item: basically, turning the knob in any other slot always shows the (same) last preset loaded.

I hope this issue is planned to be addressed in KAOS 6.0. If not, I strongly support this FR!

It's really problematic in my opinion.

You've right pippopluto !

• It's really problematic in my opinion.

You've right pippopluto !

It's one of the things that more easily get me lost while interacting with the Profiler, and one of the major annoyances when it comes to my workflow.

It seems it won't be changed tho.