The Perfect cab IR ? Part 2 ... you are looking to get the sound of band XY? Check this out:

• 1. you'll need a similar guitar then the guitarist

2. look in https://equipboard.com/ what amps the guitarist uses,

3. look now for d.i. profile of that same amp

4. record a short section of a simlar riff with that amp but without the cab part! ( it sounds horrible but that is important since we make a fitting cab in the second step)

5. now you need the Guitar track soloed

look it up in youtube, there are so many singletracks online!

You can also get the guitar track from sites like produce like a pro, they often have files for mixing.

6.okay now you have the selfrecorded track of your amp profile without a cab and you guitar in the daw

and a singletrack of the sound you want to copy.

7.use Izotpe ozone to match eq the amp without the cab to the amp.

8.Now use Voxego deconvolver, make a sweep (the longer the better, 60sek is fine) and in the sample rate of your project

and load it into the track where the match eq is applied.

9.Export the affected sweep and load it into the deconvolver.

10.convert it it a IR, and then via the Kemper cabmaker if you like into kemper cab ... aaand you're done

If you have set it up already it goes relatively fast but all the converting changes the sound a bit, so you have to go back and add eqs to level that out and that takes long ...

and don't forget this has limitations:

1:Often the same song has many different sounds, and amps mixed together. unique pedals

2:The guitar itself makes so much difference

3:the processed signal of an album has much more then just distortion and a frequency curve

often the tracks are compressed also and this is something you need to keep in mind

• Cheers - I used to do this with my AX8; very mixed results!

Might need a more in-depth guide as well if possible, as I remember it was very confusing for n00bs like me!

Asolutely! Sometimes there is more to a sound then just the cab, so far it worked best when i found the live tracks because that is one amp and cab or with bands that simply have one main sound. Many producions mix so many sounds together that there is no one particular sound to copy ...

these two worked pretty well imo but the pantera tone has not the same amp sadly

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

on the other hand the trivium bassounds were pretty off, i gues because teh source sound is a mixed signal of d.i. and distortion ... so capturing the overall spectrum is simply more off ...

• This looks like fun, Bommel! Thanks for sharing.

Quick question re. this "Produce like a Pro" reference you made. Would you recommend this site as a good source for backing tracks ? Do they have a decent database? I couldn't find much about it on their site.

Cheers.

"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

Pride & Joy: My Custom Shop Les Paul Slash AFD VOS (1of300)

http://www.edgerob.com

• This looks like fun, Bommel! Thanks for sharing.

Quick question re. this "Produce like a Pro" reference you made. Would you recommend this site as a good source for backing tracks ? Do they have a decent database? I couldn't find much about it on their site.

Cheers.

Mhh produce like a pro has not that big of a library, but Warren Huarts work is amazing he has offered some sessions that sounded amazing, another way would be promixacademy.

Or just google "remixpacks" they are out there but i think proper sources like promixacademy are simply the best.

• Hi ya all! First of all thanks so much Bommel for the very useful guide! I'am having some probs creating matching cab IRs though, but I'm sure you guys can help :) I am following the 1-10 steps guide, partially using logic (project settings: 44.1/24):

• First, I recorded in a logic project the same riff of a isolated reference track using my Kemper, with a similar amp DI/Direct profile with cab module off, sounding horrible as it should, as described by Bommel ;)
    • Then I matched the eq of the two tracks using logic "Macth eq" plugin (it does more or less the same thing as Izotope). I could get a pretty accurate sound in logic. So far, so good.
    • Like suggested at point 8 of the guide, with a windows computer I generated a voxengo deconvolver .wav sweep file (30seconds, 44.1 / 24), which I copied and imported in the track with the active match EQ plugin in logic.
    • At this point I bounced the region of the sweep (without playing any other track and letting a couple of seconds of silence at the end of the region) as .wav file
    • I copied and loaded the .wav file in voxengo, and click "process". Then I loaded the voxengo generated file in the preset folder of the kemper, being able to use it as a cab (cab maker is not necessary anymore, according to the new system updates).

What I get is a very high/mid high frequency fizzy sound lacking practically all the bass frequencies though, nothing compared to the good sounding intermediate result in the daw. I am sure I doing something wrong, but so far I gave a couple of try using a different profiles or using a longer / shorter voxengo sweep file, but without succeeding...

So, thank you in advance for your advices, appreciate a lot your support!

• Did you test the IR in your DAW before adding to the Kemper?

Consider checking your settings in Deconvolver when you process the recording:

Reversed Technique = checked active, Normalize to -0.3 dbfs = checked/active, rest = inactive

IRs transferred to the Kemper usually sound (to me anyway) completely different than when used in the DAW with an ampsim. I feel very very lucky when I find one that sounds good in the Kemper

The other option is- load an ampsim with a similar gain on the track with the logic eq you mentioned, and use the Kemper to capture a profile of that.

If it sounds pretty good, try the new profile's cab with your Kemper DI profile from step 3.

You can try to capture a profile without an ampsim too, I always preffered the other way.

I think this whole process is very subjective as mentioned above to a particular guitar setup, and doesn't transfer well to other people's rigs. Every tone match IR I've tried usually has unpleasant frequency issues. Don't have Izotope to try tone matching myself.

• Hi ya all! First of all thanks so much Bommel for the very useful guide! I'am having some probs creating matching cab IRs though, but I'm sure you guys can help :) I am following the 1-10 steps guide, partially using logic (project settings: 44.1/24):

• First, I recorded in a logic project the same riff of a isolated reference track using my Kemper, with a similar amp DI/Direct profile with cab module off, sounding horrible as it should, as described by Bommel ;)
    • Then I matched the eq of the two tracks using logic "Macth eq" plugin (it does more or less the same thing as Izotope). I could get a pretty accurate sound in logic. So far, so good.
    • Like suggested at point 8 of the guide, with a windows computer I generated a voxengo deconvolver .wav sweep file (30seconds, 44.1 / 24), which I copied and imported in the track with the active match EQ plugin in logic.
    • At this point I bounced the region of the sweep (without playing any other track and letting a couple of seconds of silence at the end of the region) as .wav file
    • I copied and loaded the .wav file in voxengo, and click "process". Then I loaded the voxengo generated file in the preset folder of the kemper, being able to use it as a cab (cab maker is not necessary anymore, according to the new system updates).

What I get is a very high/mid high frequency fizzy sound lacking practically all the bass frequencies though, nothing compared to the good sounding intermediate result in the daw. I am sure I doing something wrong, but so far I gave a couple of try using a different profiles or using a longer / shorter voxengo sweep file, but without succeeding...

So, thank you in advance for your advices, appreciate a lot your support!

Hmmm that is strange, it's been a while since i did this the last time. So i am not completely in the topic right now... I mean it should work

So in the DAW the match sounds okay, right ? only after deconvolving it is strange right ? Maybe a highger samplerate could help ( i mainly use 96khz and 60sek sweeps)? when exporting the sweep you have to add a time after the sweep and When exporting maybe the wrong settings are used ? You could reimport the exported sweep an run it through the match software to check out if the sweep is still the same result as the raw track + match eq. EQs like this that are based on FIR filters introducelatency maybe that messes the deconvolving up too ... idk. I am sorry that i can not help more right now :/ That is the stuff i would try right now

• Lobsta  Bommel : guys, first of all thank you so much for your reply and your fast advices! appreciate a lot?? here some updates:

I tried to import the IR file in a daw ampsim, as lobsta suggested. Got a horrible sound. Therefore, the kemper (profile or the cab creation) has nothing to do with the matter. I also checked the deconvolver settings, and they matched. I always let a couple of seconds of silence after the sweep as I exported it.

As the matched sound in the daw is fine (kemper without cab module and the matching eq plug-in, no IR), I guess I am doing something wrong in the export / deconvolving process.

I’m going to give a try soon with 96khz and a longer sweep as bommel suggests, and perhaps changing the export process in logic (maybe I shouldn’t “bounce” the track, but export it as a stem or something...). I’ll let you know!!

• Hey Matt BS, there is no need to perform the deconvolving step: Just directly sample the filter taps of the Match EQ (make sure to set it to zero latency) following the instructions here and here:

1. Bounce the sampling pulse from here (section Craft the magical sampling DI signal) through the Match EQ (set to zero latency). Use Wave with 44.1kHz/24bit.
    2. Finalise the recorded IR following the instructions here (section Finalise the recorded IR).

Edit: Also make sure that the Match EQ does not increase gain (check the peak level of the output before bouncing).

Edit2: Disable normalisation, dithering and other fancy options for the export (you need it to be raw/unaltered).

• Guys, thank you so much indeed!! nejo_hh , interesting method!!

I’ve finally find out! I tried both ways. I obtained some good results by checking the “MP transforme” box of voxengo deconvolver and without “reversed technique”. no more hissssssing sound and more natural response.

By following the Bommel method, combining what nejo_hh suggested I think I got the best results though! Probably, bypassing the deconvolve step made everything work fine for me...

so, for Mac users, going without voxengo deconvolver can surely be worth a try!

thank you so much again ya all for the support and helping me solving the issue! Happy kempering ??