Kemper incoming tomorrow - workflow suggestions

• Hi all

I have a powered toaster and footswitch due in tomorrow. I’m a Traditional valve guy but I have dabbled with the helix and other digital solutions in the past. I play at home and live - mix of music from blues, blues rock to hard rock. Les Paul traditional and strat as main axes .

I own:

1) my own pa

2) tradional guitar cabs

3) alto ta112 (powered)

4) thomson the box 115 wedge (powered)

I have :

1) Downloaded latest rig manager and imported purchase profiles.

2) Downloaded latest kemper software

3) Bought the michael Britt crank n go pack

4) bought a couple top jimi profiles

5) downloaded all manuals

What would you suggest in terms of workflow ? By this I mean : how do I get making good sounds as quickly as possible without suffering “paralysis by analysis”

Specifically :

I prefer a guitar cab sound so I’ll try that first using : kemper into guitar cab :

1) merged profile less the “cab” ?

Then I’ll try :

1) connect kemper to the line out of the alto (as it’s powted) and try the FRFR solution.

Then try :

1) kemper to outputs of the mixing desk, using xlr (as once again the kemper is powered - so according to manual this is the route?) and connect to alto (as above) to monitor sound.

Hopefully this is an efficient process ?

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Looking VERY forward to working with this unit !

• My first advice would definitely be to start with just a couple of profiles. With sooo much stuff out there and available, any comparison gets though, once you've listened to a 1000 different profiles in a couple of hours. Find 5, maybe 10 profiles that work for you and YOUR sound, then try out the different setups with these profiles.

Start with profiles of amps you know, or similar. Testing setups using a Mesa Rectifier profile, or a profile of an old tweed fender won't do you any good, if you've never played through those kinds of amps.

If you're in to guitar cabs, definitely start by using your powered KPA into your cabs. Just remember to check "monitor cab off" (I think in system settings?)

However, I firmly believe that the ability to get the mic'ed up sound of a loud amp at any volume (the tones we know and love from recordings) is the Kempers real strength, so do check out the sound of your kemper through your FRFR-monitors. Just remember that FRFR-monitors (like guitar cabs) all sound different! :thumbup:

• Get to know the interface- what buttons get you where and especially be clear of the difference between browse and performance mode.

Took me a couple of weeks to get familiar with the OS (maybe i should have read the manual)

Enjoy the playing inbetween knob-fiddling. The kpa definitely delivers the right playing:tweaking ratio, once you are acquainted with the OS

• Thank you - I am a manual guy so I have already read a large part of it but I’ll complete! Thanks for the tips - performance mode is of particular interest ! I’ll keep these in mind as I tweak tomorrow

• You already have a hell of a head start.

As Slateboy mentioned, take time to get to know the unit, but you will be in "awesome tone" territory right off the bat!

Enjoy!

• Not sure I understand this Paul - but I think I did it anyway? !

it arrived today - I plugged the “speaker out “ into my guitar cab and disabled the “monitor out “ using the “output “ button. I’m using a 1x12 creamback loafed cab and It Sounded bloody fantastic tbh !

I’m trying FRFR tomorrow by connecting “monitor out” of the kemper using a normal guitar (instrument) cable to the input of my alto ts112

Is this what you meant

I’m busy reading the manual and watching the online videos as I type as I realise what a POWERFUL tool I have just bought!

• Once settled on your sounds, start organizing in performance mode and check out morphing for boosts for riffs and solos :).

I would also focus on a good sound via your PA first as you will want to run it direct into the FOH - no miking!!

Most profiles that sound good through FRFR sound good into a cab, but not necessarily the other way round - traditional cabs mask duff profiles.

• Once settled on your sounds, start organizing in performance mode and check out morphing for boosts for riffs and solos :).

I would also focus on a good sound via your PA first as you will want to run it direct into the FOH - no miking!!

Most profiles that sound good through FRFR sound good into a cab, but not necessarily the other way round - traditional cabs mask duff profiles.

Thanks mate - I’ve been using a guitar cab but have got a couple good sounds of out the alto ts112 as well. I need to use low cuts on the alto this week and next step is direct to pa. We rehearsed this evening and my band mates said it’s the best I’ve ever sounded!

• Welcome to the forum!

Thank you sir ! Nice to be here. I’ve read the 256 page manual and I am trying not to ask “stupid “ questions!

I’m on my second read of the manual and see myself reading this a LOT as this is a seriously powerful tool and I want to know how to get the best out of it!

• Thanks mate - I’ve been using a guitar cab but have got a couple good sounds of out the alto ts112 as well. I need to use low cuts on the alto this week and next step is direct to pa. We rehearsed this evening and my band mates said it’s the best I’ve ever sounded!

Excellent. I had a lot of doubts about the sound but that was because I had convinced myself a digital amp can;t sound good....it was only when other people told me I sounded good that I became a believer!

For me its not just the base sound but its things like the noise gate that help the overall set up..band mates appreciate no hiss on the bits that are meant to be silent :)

Oh and welcome!!

• Yes agreed - I spent some time dialling in the alto today and I AM A CONVERT!!!!

Tried this with the helix and hated it!!

To get a good sound : I used

Low and high cuts

Definition control

Clarity

Low and high shifts

Boosted the mids and

Got a glorious tone out of the Morgan ac 20 profile -

Added the soft shaper for chorus and lead sounds - just beautiful

I Found that I needed to use a cabinet I was familiar with (creambacks)

I initially got the altos frequency range close to that of my usual guitar cab.

Once I had that dialled in, my ears were happy (as I was in familiar territory)

I then opened up the frequency ranges and can now see the benefits of using and FRFR system! You have SOO MUCH more available to you! I’m no longer JUST using a creamback speaker - I can audition and use ALL the others - just beautiful !