An interesting comparison between the profile and the actual amp/pedal...

• I’ve wanted to do this for a while now but just didn’t have the time. I made a profile for my Kemper of my live rig about a month ago and recorded a few clips to demo the profiles.

I decided to record the same clip using the actual live rig setup and make a comparison with the recorded Kemper version.

I eventually got around to recording the MI Audio Crunchbox into my Marshall TSL with an SM57. Admittedly, this actual amp and pedal version was recorded about a month after I created the profile, so I had to try and remember where the mic placement was on the speaker and also what settings I used on the amp and pedal.

I thought that it would still make an interesting comparison with the Kemper profile of this setup. What I can say is from a “feel” point of view, they both felt exactly the same.

Hope you enjoy.

Cheers

Peter.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• The best way to do a side by side comparison would be to record the Marshall on a session and take a DI track at the same time. Then swap the mic input from the desk/interface into the KPA and profile it . It will only take about 2 minutes to do but will remove all guess work from the mic positioning etc. Then reamp the profile woth the DI track you already recorded. All of the hard work os in setting up the mics etc for recording/profiling. Once you are happy with that it is a simple jub to make a live recording and profile back to back.

• The best way to do a side by side comparison would be to record the Marshall on a session and take a DI track at the same time. Then swap the mic input from the desk/interface into the KPA and profile it . It will only take about 2 minutes to do but will remove all guess work from the mic positioning etc. Then reamp the profile woth the DI track you already recorded. All of the hard work os in setting up the mics etc for recording/profiling. Once you are happy with that it is a simple jub to make a live recording and profile back to back.

Nice playing, by the way :thumbup:8)

Thanks. Yes, I should have done that but only decided to do the comparison after the fact. I still think that it's pretty close considering all the variables.

• Considering the variables (the inevitable mic-placement variation is a biggie even if you tried your best to repeat the exercise accurately later on), the similarity is impressive IMHO. 8):thumbup:

Thanks guys,

Yes, mic placement is critical and makes a huge difference. The interesting thing for me was that during the recording process I couldn't get over just how close the "feel" was between the real amp and the Kemper profile.

• what impresses me the most is your ability to re-create a sound by placing the mic apparently very close to the original spot/distance/angle.

wow.

Thanks Don,

I've been recording that setup for quite a few years now so I do have a good idea where to position the mic etc. The most exciting thing for me is that I've been able to profile these tones therefore avoiding having to setup the mics, amp and pedals anymore.