Fractal Audio FM3 announced

• I'd prefer to see a wireless remote to get rid of that single wire!

Good idea. I am waiting for times when not a single damn cable will be needed. But then... what about the power supply. Batteries?

:/

Better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it! - Michael Angelo Batio

• From what I see, the FM3 unit wont include tone matching at launch. I do not know if they could include it later on or not. But that could be a consideration for some. Not that AX8 had it.

Usually I've been happy-enough with shooting IRs and using the amp models. They were often close enough to what I wanted, my amps, and I could dial them in further, if required. The IR also goes a long way.

One can also make an IR to compensate for EQ matching.

But the eq matching -- "tone matching" -- of axe fx 3 has been something I've played around quite a bit, some times getting results I had trouble achieving with IRs. On that end, I'd have wished FM 3 included this function.

A more portable kemper that can at least play back profiles would gain some ground in that sense for me, provided it can get some similar relatively similar results to what I'd be using EQ matching for.

The bonanza

• If I have the opinion that Fractal is more of a funny cult with a guru and his disciples than about serious business it is my opinion.

Ok, but just because someone holds an opinion doesn't mean it can't be examined or shown to be demonstrably false, much like the ridiculous one above.

• Re-thinking the whole "profile player"-idea..since I have the toaster (had the rack already before) I must say..it is a cute little thing..who needs a big floormodeler?Plus some EV-pedals?How much more "convinient" is a big floormodeler plus external pedal-stuff vs a toaster plus pedalstuff?

It is all about "just one more bag".Right?

I dont talk about the rack-version which is indeed another issue but the toaster is small and light.

A small profile player (remote size) would be nice for certain gigs and jam sessions..but again..as soon as you also use a wah and one,two EV-pedals..it is all the same.

• Of course when you add more pieces you get away from the convenience, but I wouldn't call a wah attached by 1 cable to a floorboard quite the same as a toaster & remote (and then probably still a wah and everything else). I think the point some people have is that instead of a head + remote, they'd rather just have an all-in-one at their feet.

• Kind of an interesting entry into the field. I just wonder if a little too much focus was placed on $999? As the very lengthy thread elsewhere has progressed, quite a number of 'cut-backs' seem to be coming to light. Not getting the top tier reverbs is a big one for me.

Suddenly I'm spoiled when it comes to verbs.....

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams

• Kind of an interesting entry into the field. I just wonder if a little too much focus was placed on $999? As the very lengthy thread elsewhere has progressed, quite a number of 'cut-backs' seem to be coming to light. Not getting the top tier reverbs is a big one for me.

Suddenly I'm spoiled when it comes to verbs.....

Cut backs compared to axe fx 3? Yea, absolutely, considering all that Axe Fx 3 can do. I hoped FM3 would be able to play back tone matches, to my understanding at least not possible on release.

But there's still so much the unit will offer. Will have to see at what price it sells in Europe.

The bonanza

• I hoped FM3 would be able to play back tone matches, to my understanding at least not possible on release.

YA, Cliff mentioned they've removed deep amp editing - not sure if this is what tone matching is. Pretty sounded the equivalent to the KPA definition control - sort of. I had an AX8 but never got to try an AxeIII.

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams

• YA, Cliff mentioned they've removed deep amp editing - not sure if this is what tone matching is. Pretty sounded the equivalent to the KPA definition control - sort of. I had an AX8 but never got to try an AxeIII.

"Tone matching" is just how fractal calls their EQ matching. Eq matching matches the EQ between 2 sources. For example, I can dial in an orange amp sim from axe fx to match my analog orange and use "tone matching" to narrow down the gap.

For the most part it's worked great for me. It's how I finally managed to emulate my orange with boost pedal, preamp blasting, power amp full. Not exact of course, can surely tell the difference when playing, and real amp surely better in this case, but the closest I've gotten.

What did he say about "deep editing"? Any links you could post? Because I can't find the above info about "deep editing". I wouldn't expect much to be cut off compared to axe fx 3 in that sense, for amp sims themselves; for sure hope not, considering fm3 is programmed ground up, apparently, to support some axe fx 3 kind of updates.

The bonanza

Edited once, last by Dimi84 ().

• Because surely more of that happening, and likely less interest on my my part follows... Unless the particular amp Sim edit function is irrelevant to my uses.

The bonanza

Cliff: We removed all the superfluous stuff (bias tremolo, dynamic presence/depth, etc.) in order to get the core amp modeling to run on the slower processor.

Quoted in post #1389 of the TGP thread. Not having dived deeply into Fractal amp editing I'm not really sure what impact this has for folks already comfortable with the III.

• To me, it makes sense if you're getting a less expensive and smaller form device that you're going to get less functionality, especially since the incentive of buying it is for simpler, more portable, more streamlined use. If Kemper made a floorboard the size of the remote and it was less expensive, I'd expect a number of features to not be included, especially since it would eat sales of the flagship model.

• YA, Cliff mentioned they've removed deep amp editing - not sure if this is what tone matching is.

I think that's overstating it a bit. The amp block in FAS-land has maybe 125-150 parameters. I mean, it's pretty over the top. He stated that for the FM3 they are leaving out a few of the processor-intensive parameters (some were added in Ares for the flagship AxeFX III). There are a handful of users who might actually care about those specific parameters, so it's really not much of a loss. YMMV.

Tone matching is a separate block/feature.

• Ok, if we go by what Cliff said will be lacking from amp section, I don't mind these parameters much at all to be frank. Still want da toan matching though (which yes isn't in amp block).

The bonanza

• Ok, if we go by what Cliff said will be lacking from amp section, I don't mind these parameters much at all to be frank. Still want da toan matching though (which yes isn't in amp block).

Would it be likley the angle they are gonna use is that you can upload and purchase tone matched presets?

• Would it be likley the angle they are gonna use is that you can upload and purchase tone matched presets?

Just from my own experience/understanding of things: tone matches tend to be considerably more dependent on the guitar signal in terms of emulating the source.

That's not so surprising considering this is EQ matching alone (albeit there's a few interesting possibilities, such as emulating one pickup while using another -- still the input matters a lot).

Considering this, having a library akin to what we have from rig exchange, I believe, is less of a possibility.

Plus ax8 doesn't even run tone matches (never mind shoot them). Fm3 (apparently, unless I've understood wrong) does neither either.

So we'd be left with perhaps trying to come up with an IR from a tone match (possible, or of other eq matches) to use in fm3. That can be an option but obviously I'd prefer having a tone match block.

The bonanza

Edited once, last by Dimi84 ().

• Would it be likley the angle they are gonna use is that you can upload and purchase tone matched presets?

Some people already share tone matches, though the Fractal world doesn't quite operate like the Kemper world when it comes to marketing matched tones or prioritizing it. Axe users can control every parameter of a signal chain so their preoccupation isn't so much matching a tone externally as it is internally, whereas in Kemper land we require an existing, external signal chain to match. Tone matching in Axe land is usually treated as a "last ditch" effort to better match an existing tone, if that's what the user is after, which isn't always the case. At least this is how it was explained to me (as I don't own a Fractal product ATM).

My guess, if the AX8 is any kind of comparison, is tone matching won't be in the FM3. I don't know what the required processing power would be, but even if it's possible, they'd probably want to incentivize people to buy the full rack version in order to get all of the shiny features.